2nd Gold Coin while finding civil war relics!

L

lovedigging

Today was a great day, because I had the day off! My brother and I started off the day by going bow hunting. I was fortunate enough to take a buck while my brother was filming it. Not quite like the Canadian deer we will be chasing in a few weeks, but good practice. After dropping the deer off at the butcher to be processed, I had my White's DFX in the truck and plenty of daylight left, so I decided to see what civil war relics were left to find. I'll have to say it was one of my best days ever. Within 5 minutes of starting I found an eagle cavalry button, followed by a few bullets. Not too long after, I discovered 5 eagle cuff buttons within a 4 foot circle. I finally reached the area where I had found a gold coin a few months ago and started finding lots of different things to make me feel that there used to be a home there. I was digging lots of iron items, but every once in awhile I would hit on something good. I had been digging this area for about an hour when I hit a really good signal. When I dug it, it was an 1886 one-dollar piece. When I stood up I immediately hit another signal, and that's when I dug the 1898 one-cent piece. I hit that area pretty hard for about 30 minutes, and then hit another strong signal. This time I nearly had heart failure! When I un-earthed my 2nd gold coin (for the year), I couldn't believe it. It was a 2 1/2 dollar, 1910, gold coin. At this point I don't even remember if dug anything else. Next thing I remember I was in my truck, flying back home and trying to call my brother to let him know about my great finds. Hope you enjoy the pictures....

Attachments

• gold coin front.JPG
    gold coin front.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 12,177
  • gold coin back.JPG
    gold coin back.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 12,088
  • buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 12,088
  • everything CW..JPG
    everything CW..JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 12,079
  • 3 coins.JPG
    3 coins.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 11,327
Upvote 0

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
The incuse Indianhead is my favorite gold piece. Congrats on the awesome find, the relics are great too. Banner is well deserved. Jim

Lamont.Scraps

Jan 8, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
WOW!!! Another set of incredible banner finds. Congratulations!!!
Pack plenty of warm clothes I hear its cold up north, good luck.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, what a fantastic find. Congradulations on the coin, and the banner.

Old River

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! I would have been thrilled with the buttons alone, but then you add a Morgan dollar to the mix and the icing on the cake is that gold coin...now THAT is a FANSTASTIC day...Congrats on the finds and a well deserved banner!!!! :thumbsup:

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man thats some awesome finds ! congrats on the finds an the banner :thumbsup:

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say that qualifies as a great day great job

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, Coops! What a surprise that must have been. You have a great assortment of relics, too. :icon_sunny:

This post makes me wonder if I've passed over any gold coins at my cellarholes...and makes me want to revisit them. :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not a great day, it is a fantastic day :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats on the oustanding day.............

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Big time congrats!!!!! And its your 2nd gold coin this year!!!!! You are my hero!!!!!! Can I get like 10lbs of deer bologna to celebrate? :tongue3:

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

TreasureFiend said:
Wow!!! Big time congrats!!!!! And its your 2nd gold coin this year!!!!! You are my hero!!!!!! Can I get like 10lbs of deer bologna to celebrate? :tongue3:
TreasureFiend, No problem on the deer bologna, Come on down to Va. and I'll hook you right up...

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic day! Congrats on your gold coin and well-deserved Banner.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W!! It's a beauty, CONGRATS!!