2nd Gold Coin while finding civil war relics!

L

lovedigging

Today was a great day, because I had the day off! My brother and I started off the day by going bow hunting. I was fortunate enough to take a buck while my brother was filming it. Not quite like the Canadian deer we will be chasing in a few weeks, but good practice. After dropping the deer off at the butcher to be processed, I had my White's DFX in the truck and plenty of daylight left, so I decided to see what civil war relics were left to find. I'll have to say it was one of my best days ever. Within 5 minutes of starting I found an eagle cavalry button, followed by a few bullets. Not too long after, I discovered 5 eagle cuff buttons within a 4 foot circle. I finally reached the area where I had found a gold coin a few months ago and started finding lots of different things to make me feel that there used to be a home there. I was digging lots of iron items, but every once in awhile I would hit on something good. I had been digging this area for about an hour when I hit a really good signal. When I dug it, it was an 1886 one-dollar piece. When I stood up I immediately hit another signal, and that's when I dug the 1898 one-cent piece. I hit that area pretty hard for about 30 minutes, and then hit another strong signal. This time I nearly had heart failure! When I un-earthed my 2nd gold coin (for the year), I couldn't believe it. It was a 2 1/2 dollar, 1910, gold coin. At this point I don't even remember if dug anything else. Next thing I remember I was in my truck, flying back home and trying to call my brother to let him know about my great finds. Hope you enjoy the pictures....

Attachments

• gold coin front.JPG
    gold coin front.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 12,177
  • gold coin back.JPG
    gold coin back.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 12,088
  • buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 12,088
  • everything CW..JPG
    everything CW..JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 12,079
  • 3 coins.JPG
    3 coins.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 11,327
Upvote 0

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, those would be the finds of a lifetime for me! Congrats!

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

Mr.Jody said:
Just wondering, what did the MD say it was as far as coin,iron, zinc,ect.......nice find by the way.
Mr Jody, I was using a preset program that showed a solid bar and a +32. I just took it out in the yard and put my Whites DFX on the coin setting so I could let you know what it read. It showed a +27 and the 5 cent and ring pictures were both on the screen. Hope this helps you find a great coin...TCooper

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a pretty Indian

Looks like you had a good day.

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

Bruce Raybourne said:
GREAT FINDS: Now where do you live because I'm coming there tomorrow :wink:
Bruce, I live in Northern Va. I'll be looking for you tomorrow!! Your not the one that's been trying to follow me to my spot's are you :wink: :icon_salut: Have a great day!!!!!

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Dang!Let me get this right.......... You shoot a Buck in the morning and find a GOLD COIN in the afternoon
:o And your not DRUNK YET :icon_scratch:

Congrats i only dream of stuff like that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
G1

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
All that and a bowkill on film. Man I hate you! Jk, that is awesome. You have about 10 things I want in one day. The bowkill on film only being second to the gold coin.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Just awesome! Congrats on the banner find.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Two, I say Two Gold coins in one year!!! Fantastic!! I hope your going to post your
gold coin finds with Western & Eastern Treasure Magizine this year. You might even want to
write a story.

By the way, I'll be back in Ole Va. in March, wonder if I could stop by and pick up some of
that Deer Jerky? LOL

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

ringfinder said:
Wow, Two, I say Two Gold coins in one year!!! Fantastic!! I hope your going to post your
gold coin finds with Western & Eastern Treasure Magizine this year. You might even want to
write a story.

By the way, I'll be back in Ole Va. in March, wonder if I could stop by and pick up some of
that Deer Jerky? LOL

HH, Ringfinder
Ringfinder, Not a problem on the deer jerky I've been putting a hurting on them lately and we leave for Alberta Canada Friday so i'm a little excited about my hunt there. Let me know when you get up this way and I can definitely hook you up with some deer meat. Thanks for the reply!!! TCooper

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
absolutely incredible!! my husband and son have been out in treestands every available hour since archery season started. i know that getting a buck with a bow is in itself a great day (they'd probably say as good as a gold coin). when they get one, i'm making them go MDing with me to get a gold coin!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

burglarifyoulike said:
absolutely incredible!! my husband and son have been out in treestands every available hour since archery season started. i know that getting a buck with a bow is in itself a great day (they'd probably say as good as a gold coin). when they get one, i'm making them go MDing with me to get a gold coin!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
Thanks for the reply, It was a great day and I'm sure one that will take a long time to top. Good luck on that gold coin...

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

grogmug said:
How did you find this place? Did you just do some research or randomly search it? Love the gold coin!
Grogmug, Their was a battle a few miles away from this site, I've hunted an area close to this one and found some things but one day I decided to hunt this one since it's so thick and you have to crawl through most of it I figured most people in the past probally wouldn't go through all the trouble. I'm really glad I did cause it's been my best site. I've found lot's of stuff there. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread