What's new

8 Reales Dug Today... Oh Boy!

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well lets just say it's been a long wait to hunt this site. I received permission to hunt this place about 2 months ago. Well work and timing and soybeans were always getting in the way. Well last week the property owner called to tell me the soybeans had been cut. i said i'll be there as soon as I can. Well a couple more days of rain and work later, I finally made it today with Buckleboy. Well it started off slow and we couldn't find the sweet spot. Well it wasn't to much longer when I found a flat button. Well a little while later BBoy hit a IH penny. Well soon there after so did I, a beautiful 1892. Well a little while later I had to call old BBoy over to show him a sweet find. Out pops this baby.
8 Reales :laughing7:

I'll let BBoy finish the rest of the day cause it was all his. I'm just happy to find the 8.

Happy Hunting
 

Attachments

  • 1-1.webp
    1-1.webp
    105.5 KB · Views: 3,461
  • 3-1.webp
    3-1.webp
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,402
  • 8 Reales 001.webp
    8 Reales 001.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,350
  • 8 Reales 003.webp
    8 Reales 003.webp
    50 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 8 Reales 005.webp
    8 Reales 005.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 3,326
  • 8 Reales 006.webp
    8 Reales 006.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,345
  • 8 Reales 007.webp
    8 Reales 007.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,243
  • 8 Reales 008.webp
    8 Reales 008.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,259
Upvote 0
Sweet hunt and finds you two :headbang: Nice 8 reale. First one I have ever seen............WTG. Keep on hitting that spot ::)
 
Soy beans cut at last. :hello2: That is one very very nice coin. What are the odds of that coming out of the ground in that shape? Nice recovery for sure.
HH
TnMountains
 
Great find! I've been lucky enough to find two (1798 and 1774) so I know the feeling! Well done!!!
 
Nice finds! Very exciting to find silver that big!
I found an 1889 8-reales about 2 years ago, with a bullet still embedded in it.
The Injun looks pretty darn good too!
Congrats! :thumbsup:
 
I don't know anything about those period 8s. What % silver were they?
 
--- looks like a 1825 mexican 8 real --- .903 silver ( grams )-- 8 R (reales) D tiny o -- durango mint
 
1823 was the first year for the Cap and Ray design. Yours looks like it is. Also looks like a Durango mintmark.
 
Kinda has an odd color and back looks like its bubbled on the eagle. It's not a counterfeit is it?
 
Congrats HB on getting the 8 Reale, it does look like a counterfeit,(unless it is just funky) but no fret, a lot used back then were counterfeits. The date looks like 183? possibly 1838 or 9.

I would love to have something that big staring at me from a fresh dig. :icon_thumright:
Don
 

Attachments

  • HBdate.webp
    HBdate.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,953
Don in SJ said:
Congrats HB on getting the 8 Reale, it does look like a counterfeit, but no fret, a lot used back then were counterfeits. The date looks like 183? possibly 1833.
I would love to have something that big staring at me from a fresh dig. :icon_thumright:
Don

Thats what I wondered, the colour was off, & thought counterfeit straight away. But then I thought maybe it was heavily debased in that period :dontknow:
The only 8 I have is counterfeit but still a great find :icon_thumright:
 
"Oh Boy!" is right! When you dug that, I thought I was doomed for a big fat skunk today. But I think I *almost* made up for it with the goodies I found. :wink:

I'll get that posted tonight. :icon_sunny:


BIG congrats on a find like that, HB. It won't be an easy one to repeat.


Never thought I'd see one of those Big 8's come out of Old Kentucky. Thanks again for the invite, my friend. It was quite a hunt.



-Buck
 
That's a real Beauty!! Congrats....Hogge :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom