And yet another flooded Equinox..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Ok this has gone far enough. Minelab I’m sure is watching the two Equinox boards. And it’s time they inform us on this issue. I’m sure they did extensive research before they released the Equinox so they néed to inform us of what is actually failing like a lot of defective seals/ O ring or a burr in the=seal area. I’m sure they know by now what is causing the problem. If it’s just a bad o ring just send us all a new one. Because Minelab is not addressing this problem they are not being honest with us. We all purchases the Equinox for water used and Minelab is letting us down. They need to inform all of us NOW. I’m loosing faith in Minelab.

Doug

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He's a 7 month old mini australian shepherd named Rowdy. And yes he lives up to the name. He loves water and it gets hot here in Southeast Texas so I bought him a kiddie pool. View attachment 1747342

Bayoutalker, Rowdy is a great looking guy. Aussie's are the best dogs. They love their families and are so smart and eager to please. Here is a pic. of our lil' 20190831_173412.jpg darlin.This is Miss Luna. She is a 12 week old Blue Merle Aussie. She has a 3 year old sis, Lacy who is a black Tri. I know Rowdy has brought a lot of joy to your family.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this has gone far enough. Minelab I’m sure is watching the two Equinox boards. And it’s time they inform us on this issue. I’m sure they did extensive research before they released the Equinox so they néed to inform us of what is actually failing like a lot of defective seals/ O ring or a burr in the=seal area. I’m sure they know by now what is causing the problem. If it’s just a bad o ring just send us all a new one. Because Minelab is not addressing this problem they are not being honest with us. We all purchases the Equinox for water used and Minelab is letting us down. They need to inform all of us NOW. I’m loosing faith in Minelab.

Doug

If you search the boards, probably less than 10 or 15 have been actually reported (which is a generous estimate) and that is likely miniscule compared to the number sold and probably even small vs. the number that have actually seen the water. They are honoring the warranty so you are covered from the defect be it manufacturing (most probable) or design (which would warrant a recall). I agree, it would be nice to know how widespread this actually is and what the cause is, and I have advocated for ML doing that. But unless we start hearing about 10's or 100's of failures and/or ML stops standing behind their product with warranty replacement (doubtful), or we start hearing about failures from the replacement units, then losing faith is perhaps an overreaction from a logic perspective. But that IS what happens when a company doesn't get in front of a problem like this with some PR. So your reaction, logical or not, is warranted in the face of ML's silence. Besides, you are entitled feel that way since you did shell out money for the Equinox (I suppose - though it doesn't show up in your profile). I haven't lost faith, but it is not a good look on ML's part.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would suggest the OP stops the banging on Minelab and does something else.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well he was going to report back...but perhaps he is a little distracted by Dorian....

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
There are many many people that have punched the Equinox’s that are not on the two boards and many of them don’t even know about the boards. And none of us need to have this uncertainties hanging over our heads.
If someone asked me about purchasing one I’m not sure I could say to buy one. And yes I’m lucky mine hasn't leaked.
I am a senior citizen and there is no way I’d be able to purchase another one after the warranty expires and i don’t like the idea of that hinging over my head. If you were at fault on something then you would be expected to be honest to everyone. We deserve that. Maybe they need to extend the warranty for two years just for that particular problem or just send us the replacement part if there is something available.
Doug

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a nice looking pup. I have cats. They don't want a pool. "Rowdy" - priceless. My new betta fish is named "Spunky", also for a good reason.
I don't know Smokey.....if you remember Elly Mae from the Beverly Hillbilly's......her cats always seemed to like the pool. Just sayin' Lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to the beach tomorrow again. No storms here...at least for 5 days. Then maybe the ocean. Lots of shipwrecks there.

I do need to unclog one drain if we get any bad weather late week. Will take all of 5 minutes.

Devldog, them thar critters were raccoons.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is, but I'm going somewhere else productive.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many many people that have punched the Equinox’s that are not on the two boards and many of them don’t even know about the boards. And none of us need to have this uncertainties hanging over our heads.
If someone asked me about purchasing one I’m not sure I could say to buy one. And yes I’m lucky mine hasn't leaked.
I am a senior citizen and there is no way I’d be able to purchase another one after the warranty expires and i don’t like the idea of that hinging over my head. If you were at fault on something then you would be expected to be honest to everyone. We deserve that. Maybe they need to extend the warranty for two years just for that particular problem or just send us the replacement part if there is something available.
Doug

Doug I can see this from a little different angle as I worked for a major manufacturer for a number of years. There is really no reason that ML would or should give out that kind of info to the public unless it does become a major problem. Given that their failure rate is still probably in an acceptable level I don't see that happening. Those kinds of things are proprietary info. That's just the way businesses are run. You don't give your competitors ammo to use against you. As long as they are repairing failed units under warranty in a timely manner there should be no complaint.

You say they should give an extended warranty on this problem. That may well be what they do but on an individual basis depending on the condition of the unit. That will be their call.

You speak of the uncertainty of if yours will fail. Well there has never been any product made that has been 100% perfect with no failures of any type. I can guarantee you that you own hundreds of items that could fail at any moment from something that has occurred to many others. Should all those be required to notify everyone and warranty that part for years to come? Just think about your vehicle. What vehicle has never had something fail? Are you going to stop buying vehicles because they may break down? Of course not and you are not going to lose sleep over it. Enjoy what you have as long as it works properly, allow the maker to repair it as necessary and speak to them if they don't do right by you. If you do need to speak to them be reasonable and civil because if you are demanding and nasty they likely will do nothing to help you.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bayoutalker, Rowdy is a great looking guy. Aussie's are the best dogs. They love their families and are so smart and eager to please. Here is a pic. of our lil' View attachment 1748383 darlin.This is Miss Luna. She is a 12 week old Blue Merle Aussie. She has a 3 year old sis, Lacy who is a black Tri. I know Rowdy has brought a lot of joy to your family.
Miss Luna is a cutie. I'm sure you will really enjoy her. Rowdy lives up to his name daily but he is fun to have around. Eager to please?? Sometimes I'm not so sure. Lol

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever makes people quit buying them. I don't like hunting behind an Equinox.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I'll say....if you can get one to hold up under water.....it works really well. Mine didnt pop today either and......I got this 20190901_185217.jpg
20190901_185235.jpg beautiful 1733 treasure fleet cobb.....if it floods tomorrow at least I got 1 good piece of treasure. Oh its definitely getting wet some more now !! Wooo hooo !!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I'll say....if you can get one to hold up under water.....it works really well. Mine didnt pop today either and......I got this View attachment 1748555
View attachment 1748556 beautiful 1733 treasure fleet cobb.....if it floods tomorrow at least I got 1 good piece of treasure. Oh its definitely getting wet some more now !! Wooo hooo !!
Very nice! Use that thing! That's what you bought it for. If it has a problem call ML and get it fixed.

cyborgmudlark

Oct 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got an 800 and its incredible. bought a 600 as backup and took with me to europe and flooded it on day 4 after about 20hrs. but not before it had a good crack at paying for itself. 20190905_214238.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got an 800 and its incredible. bought a 600 as backup and took with me to europe and flooded it on day 4 after about 20hrs. but not before it had a good crack at paying for itself. View attachment 1752354

First one I have heard to flood after more than a handful of hours in the water. Interesting data point. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread