Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
With regards to your pictures, DP BOB, the front view shows a round (?) piece of something behind the pin (seen where I placed red dots on the pic below) but the picture of the back shows no such item? Did you remove a piece of the pin for the photo of the back? Maybe I'm not seeing it right...
It broke apart trying to see th letters on the back

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Chicago Academy of Sciences

Founded in 1857 and chartered in 1865, the Chicago Academy of Sciences was guided in its early years by Robert Kennicott and William Stimpson, close collaborators of an early leader of the Smithsonian Institution. The academy, with one of the best natural history collections in America, built a museum at Wabash and Van Buren, but its exhibits, collections, and library were destroyed in the fire of 1871. The academy rebuilt and lost its building during the economic turmoil of the 1880s.

After renting space for several years, the academy built the Matthew Laflin Memorial Building, opening in Lincoln Park in 1894. This relationship with the park district formed the model of capital and operating support for museums which has been the foundation for Chicago's unique Museums in the Parks arrangement. The academy pioneered ecological dioramas, loan boxes for schools, a forerunner of the modern planetarium called the Atwood Celestial Sphere, and the use of still and motion photography in the documentation of natural history. However, by the mid-1930s, these leadership positions had been overtaken by larger or specialty organizations. The academy languished as a museum but flourished as a research institute during the 1940s and 1950s. In 1958 William J. Beecher began a process of renovation of building, exhibits, and programs. Fueled in part by post-Sputnik funding, the academy became known as a site for teacher training and as a home for the growing environmental movement.

1930s Chicago Academy of Sciences - Chicago, IL Postcard

I think that this is what the pin was made for....

It was found in Wheeling IL by an old 1 room school house long gone.....Unless someone can come up with a design to say otherwise... I still am going to search more into it....
I really think this site and the people on it are so friendly and helpful.....
For lack of words You are all fantastic people for trying so hard to help me.... I THANK YOU......ALL ............." DP BOB "

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DP BOB

Thank you for the recoginition of the "Chicago Academy of Science" as being a possible candidate for your most puzzling pin.

However, I strongly believe it is still open to interpretation. I agree the letters match, but other than that, that's about all we have to go on. It could still be something else! And until someone provides more definite proof, I will be the first in line to say it is not a "solved" identification yet! I will continue to search, as may others, but likely won't be back until such time (if ever) that I have something more concrete. But we all know that I've said that before, and even I never know where the rabbit will jump out next!

It's your thread and your pin, so you make the call.

Thanks again. It's been an interesting search.

Respectfully,

SODABOTTLEBOB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I told you I'd be back!

Here's another connection to the letters in question!

A - S - C

Alpha Suffrage Club

The passage of the Illinois Presidential and Municipal Suffrage Bill in the summer of 1913 offered African American women in Chicago the opportunity to merge their social welfare activities with electoral power. This was primarily due to the creation of the first and one of the most important black female suffrage organizations in the state and the city, the Alpha Suffrage Club. Established in January 1913 by black clubwoman and antilynching crusader Ida Bell Wells-Barnett and white activist Belle Squire, the club elected officers, held monthly meetings, claimed nearly two hundred members by 1916, issued the newsletter the Alpha Suffrage Record, and endorsed candidates. The club is most recognized for its pivotal role in the 1915 election of the first African American alderman in Chicago, Oscar DePriest.

P.S. I'm a little confused on the dates of operation for the Jewel Emblem Co.

If someone wishes to clarify this for me, I would deeply appreciate it.

And please show documentation (if available) to substantiate it. Thanks a million!

SDBB

Attachments

• Woman\'s Sufferage.jpg
    Woman\'s Sufferage.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats interesting you have found something that includes a Greek word Alpha. I searched a little but couldnt find their old logo. I did however find other monograms with the letter A. Im missing the S, but notice the A is very large, the same size as the other letters and looks sort of like the Greek Pi on top. But its obviously an A, not a Pi and M.

Attachments

• monogram.jpg
    monogram.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 308
  • monogram cpac.jpg
    monogram cpac.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

bigcy -

I don't care what the neighbors say about you! You're alright in my book!

And what about the Jewel Emblem dates? Were they in operation prior to 1922?

Keep digging! Victory is near! My Hillbilly nose can smell it!

Thanks.

SDBB

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Using the location the pin was found I looked a little into the history of the schools in the area. I found a lot about the Central School in Mount Prospect, District 57 which I think incorporated a portion of the Town of Wheeling. If that is an "M" then there is possibly "M" Mount "C" Central "S" School. I keep looking at the "pi" part and thinking I can make it be a "P" for Prospect.

Here is a site about it:

http://www.yourcentralschool.org/dist_57.htm

BUT ... Here is something else I just found on that site which interests me:

Tobin was a master salesman. He organized the Home/School Project into Achievement Clubs. All children, when they reached the age of ten, could join. The club at each school would meet every other week for a business and social function. An eight,star pin was given to each member. Whenever a student project was completed, the student would receive a stone which was placed in one of the star's eight points. When all star points were filled, the student was given special recognition.

I believe these clubs started around 1900 so maybe by the 1920s they expanded it a little and the single 8 point star became a 4 point (the holes on the points for stones) and then 8 surrounding (the holes on the edge for stones).

Maybe the letters are for "S" School "A" Achievement "C" Club.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Just doing my job and keeping things tidy by moving pics down.

I'm pretty easily confused these days!

And just when I was convinced it wasn't an "M"

:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 326
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 313
  • Back Side (2).jpg
    Back Side (2).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 318
  • monogram pin[1] (2).jpg
    monogram pin[1] (2).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im convinced its not an M. Study the last 2 monograms I posted. If somebody can find one monogram anywhere in the US that has a Greek Pi on it, intertwined with the other letters, than I will think about it. I dont think it exists.

Also study old monogramed M's of this style. They are different on top.

They had to make the A skinny to fit on the 4 pointed "star." Thats why the legs of the A dont spread out like these examples.

monogram cpac.jpg monogram.jpg

Attachments

• monogram.jpg
    monogram.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 264
  • monogram cpac.jpg
    monogram cpac.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
No I don't think it is an M anymore either. i think it is an "A" for Achievement. I think it is an Achievement Club pin. The "S" could stand for School or I have been just digging to see what school districts there are in Cook County that begin with an S. I found 6 on the present district site:

Summit, Skokie, Schaumburg, Sunnybrook, Sandridge, Steger..

It is the eight holes on the pin that convince me but I can understand if you all need more convincing ;D

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I like the eight hole, (one for each stone) theory. But still scratching my head how the stones might have mounted/fit into the holes. Which, I guess, opens a whole new "Pandora's Box" for someone to research. Additionally, if it is a student type of merit pin, (which I believe it may be), it looks like our particular student wasn't very industrious, and either didn't get any stones or else lost them while he/she was playing hooky.

SODA"PLAYING HOOKY"BOB :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I had my doubts but you have found a match. Good work! :hello2: :notworthy: All we/you need to do now is find the School, Club, Academy, Seminary or College. Maybe its a Catholic School?

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
:notworthy: BRAVO! :notworthy:

Now all you have to do Mr. Phelps, if you choose to accept this mission ...

is to indentify the particular school it came from and ...

But Wait!

The race is on for who can find it first!

Great Job! My hat's off to you!

(Perhaps later you will share with us where you found that information.)

:hello2: SODA"RACER"BOB :hello2:

Correction: Oops! Sorry! ... I ... er ... ah ... meant ... "Mrs." Phelps!

But going to keep my original post. It's funnier that way!

:tongue3:

Also, thanks for the link to the AAA. I've been meaning to give them a call anyway!

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
That would be Mrs. Phelps :D

From what I can gather the Achievement Clubs were a Cook County public school creation. I am just looking into it but I think it is possible they could be specific to the area of Achievement. I.e this could be a something like a Sewing Achievement Club pin... maybe... Or they could be specific to the school. I wonder if a local historical society might be able to identify it.

here's the link to the Achievement Pin pic:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Oj...1#v=onepage&q="achievement pin" stars&f=false

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Actually now that I think about it I saw a reference to a Sewing and Cooking achievement pin. So maybe it is a Sewing and Cooking Achievement pin.

I'll dig it up again...

This is from The Daily Herald (Chicago) June 4, 1929

16apg7p.jpg

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Just for fun, we probably all agree it would be nice to find a photo of the actual pin, even if it's with different lettering. But so far I haven't found zilch! And to give those of you who have just come on board an idea of what to expect, on eBay alone there are 250,000 individual items listed under "Pin!" Of course, the more you narrow it down the smaller the numbers get. For example; 2700 items under "Old Pin!" But if the person selling it doesn't know exactly what it is they have, (like we were a short time ago), then who knows how they might list it ... Pin? Badge? Old? Antique? School? Military? Achievement? Merit? Star Shaped? Etc, etc, etc.

And I say this not to discourage anyone, but rather with the hope that before I post this someone will positively ID it with whatever club, school, organization it came from, which usually happens when I enter a post like this. But the closer I get to the end of this paragraph, the more likely it seems that others are having the same problems I am.

And if you feel this is way too much information that has little or nothing to do with a solid identification, I say it because; (1.) I'm a newly enrolled Alchemist. (2.) I know Bramblefind or one of the other pros will come through for us, thus concluding this thread with a green check mark, and that will be that! So just consider this as a final goodbye except for the kudos that I suspect will soon follow.

Good luck and thanks to all!

SODABOTTLEBOB

Bramblefind -
Here's your gold star for a job well done!

Attachments

• Gold Star.gif
    Gold Star.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
its absolutely amazing what bramblefind and bigcy have discovered.

going with one post of bramblefinds where he quotes from a site
Modified here---(she i mean--sorry! i knew this from just reading the posts today---but duhhhhhh! anyway) thanks for telling me :help:

"Tobin was a master salesman. He organized the Home/School Project into Achievement Clubs. All children, when they reached the age of ten, could join. The club at each school would meet every other week for a business and social function. An eight,star pin was given to each member. Whenever a student project was completed, the student would receive a stone which was placed in one of the star's eight points. When all star points were filled, the student was given special recognition.

I believe these clubs started around 1900 so maybe by the 1920s they expanded it a little and the single 8 point star became a 4 point (the holes on the points for stones) and then 8 surrounding (the holes on the edge for stones).

Maybe the letters are for "S" School "A" Achievement "C" Club."

hit it on the nail. i support its a generic school achievement award. couple of reasons from bramblefinds posts.
1.it was a social program for schools in the area, cook county.
2.they met for social gatherings
3.they went from 8 to 4 point star. emblem jewelry was around.
4.just very cool brambefind found so much detail.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang: to Bramble & BCH! You need a pin for YOUR achievement! Way to go! Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread