What's new

ax head found in washington

michael bergman

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 5, 2013
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for any info that can be shared about this ax head I found in Washington. it has a relief of a horse and under the best of lighting the face of a conquistador. The bottom is fluted for a wood handle to notch into.
 

Attachments

  • 1001082136a.webp
    1001082136a.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Looks like a possible :censored:..or maybe a Leverite...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend taking more and better pics then posting on the Native American forum. It sure looks good.
 
Last edited:
I am out here and have decades of knowledge on WA state cultures and lithics.....but we do need better pics from many angles. and the back story on how/where it was found.
 
Where the spanish in wa and Id?
 
Michael, not the best attitude to bring here buddy, we're JSFGs here, you want pros, go to a museum. Without better pics, and more than one, you're going to be running in circles...
 
There are actually a number of Spanish place names on the WA coast all the way up the the border with Canada.
 
Being that this relic has a relief of a horse, and under the best of lighting, the face of a conquistador, its probably unique, and at least, a solitary example, that may have professionals scratching their heads for years to come.

It may have been transported from Mexico and what is now the south western US such as Arizona, Nevada and Southern California, where the Conquistadors were prevelant...

I looked at my extensive 30 year collection and have yet to find a similar example.

Have also scoured the TNET site (and other sources), and cannot find any related posts, although they may exist.

How about more detailed pictures and some additional background on where it was found...
 
Michael I suggest you read our rules here before posting. Using symbols for language can get you banned. You asked for help in identification. If you do not agree with members assessments do not get upset.
To me it looks like a geo fact. I have yet to see an example or effigy pecked into a stone axe and I have over 40 years of collecting experience.
Better pictures will help.
That all being said welcome to t-net
 
It looks like normal Washington State Beach Cobbel.
 
From that one solitary picture I see absolutely nothing that says it an artifact. Show us more pictures from different angle and maybe we will see something different. Does it have a Blade on it?
 
No, it has a "horse" and "the face of a conquistador."

the-face-is-familiar1.webp
 
Michael I suggest you read our rules here before posting. Using symbols for language can get you banned. You asked for help in identification. If you do not agree with members assessments do not get upset.
To me it looks like a geo fact. I have yet to see an example or effigy pecked into a stone axe and I have over 40 years of collecting experience.
Better pictures will help.
That all being said welcome to t-net


i agree

welcome to the tnet michael friend
me and six others are asking for some more pictures......then we can help id it for you

larson1951
 
Here are some more pictures of the ax head I found in Washington. While hunting in the south west Washington area I happened upon this trail that connected two vallys together. I hiked this trail for about two miles stopped for lunch and while eating I noticed a lot of petrified wood laying in this one area, some of it was petrified but looked to be burnt. As i was picking it up that is when I noticed the ax head laying on the ground in a washed out are. along with it I found this arrow head, a mini version of this ax head without the relief. a scraper that has a ball at one end. some fishing weights and a tooth and a flat petrified vertebrae that I am sure belongs to an animal of some sorts. the location is just outside of a little town called Adna Washington.
 

Attachments

  • ax2.webp
    ax2.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 151
  • ax1.webp
    ax1.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 136
  • ax3.webp
    ax3.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 128
  • ax4.webp
    ax4.webp
    47 KB · Views: 133
  • ax5.webp
    ax5.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 137
The arrowhead looks nice. Just cause you find a rock in the mix of artifacts doesnt make it a artifact. The texture of your stone looks river worn so it makes it look polished. It has a nice shape but shows no work from use on it. Im sure the Indians looked to use the rocks with the correct shape and maybe carried it but never worked it into the item they wanted. In other words they just left it if that is what happened, this being said if it happened it is still just a rock until it is worked or altered by human hands. Hope this helps.
 
Michael: Were that mine I'd be talking with the archeologists at UW. The
Chehalis tribe may also have a serious interest (and possible legal right)
to the artifacts, but you'll want to tread with caution there.
 
It resembles a type of boat stone more than an axe.
But could very well be natural.. and that would be my guess.
 
Last edited:
were you moving toward Pe Ell or away from it?
 
unclemac. If you are from this area it was located two miles behind the high school in Adna on the highest ridge and the trail is heading west. It is an elk trail that I believe the natives fallowed sort of like a highway. There are pieces of flint and pressure flakes in thousands of feet both directions along with arrow heads. There is also a lot of petrified wood in this area along with agate. I left almost all my finds laying right were I found them:)
 
unclemac. If you are from this area it was located two miles behind the high school in Adna on the highest ridge and the trail is heading west. It is an elk trail that I believe the natives fallowed sort of like a highway. There are pieces of flint and pressure flakes in thousands of feet both directions along with arrow heads. There is also a lot of petrified wood in this area along with agate. I left almost all my finds laying right were I found them:)

Hello Mike, you never know what you might have. I found a very large arrowhead two years ago and no one had ever seen one like it. When I sent pics to different relic enthusiasts across the U.S. they all said it was a fake but I knew that I dug it out of the ground. Anyone who put it under a scope agreed with me that it was authentic but at first sight they also said it was fake. I took it to a small museum and the head professor had no doubt it was real. I still don't show people because the naked eye is hard to convince otherwise.
The point is that you need to take your finds to someone who can examine it in person. Congrats on your finds and if you do have a Spanish horse stone then I would like to see better pics and know more of what it is
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom