Basic signs and symbols you have found

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your eye on eBay for those BFOs to come up. Be sure to use different search words on the site to cover all possibilities. Don't just use "metal detectors". I've found whole pages of detectors by changing just one word in the search phrase when the first check found nothing.

I've seen sellers advertising just the coils, too. If you ever spot a 24 inch or larger Garrett's BFO coil advertised, grab it. They are kinda rare and seldom show up. Those Garrett's BFO coils were pretty well interchangable between all of his BFO machines.

The way to adjust the detection setup is to decide if you want the machine to sound off when it finds a void or "soft" area OR do you want it to go "silent". Most hunters, back when, also carried a steel probe of about 4 feet long made of 1/4 inch diameter rod. The probes push into the softer ground a lot easier than the ground in it's "natural state". This is also how they searched for old trash dumps with their old bottles and other stuff.

Your other option would be to spend $15,000 for a machine like the Meteorite Men use. That's what their new detectors cost. Personally, I'd rather have a reliable, old Garrett's Master Hunter BFO with a selection of large diameter coils. Charles Garrett would also use that machine with 12 inch coils for searching the walls, floors, and ceilings of old mines for hidden veins missed by the miners.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
Keep your eye on eBay for those BFOs to come up. Be sure to use different search words on the site to cover all possibilities. Don't just use "metal detectors". I've found whole pages of detectors by changing just one word in the search phrase when the first check found nothing.

I've seen sellers advertising just the coils, too. If you ever spot a 24 inch or larger Garrett's BFO coil advertised, grab it. They are kinda rare and seldom show up. Those Garrett's BFO coils were pretty well interchangable between all of his BFO machines.

The way to adjust the detection setup is to decide if you want the machine to sound off when it finds a void or "soft" area OR do you want it to go "silent". Most hunters, back when, also carried a steel probe of about 4 feet long made of 1/4 inch diameter rod. The probes push into the softer ground a lot easier than the ground in it's "natural state". This is also how they searched for old trash dumps with their old bottles and other stuff.

Your other option would be to spend $15,000 for a machine like the Meteorite Men use. That's what their new detectors cost. Personally, I'd rather have a reliable, old Garrett's Master Hunter BFO with a selection of large diameter coils. Charles Garrett would also use that machine with 12 inch coils for searching the walls, floors, and ceilings of old mines for hidden veins missed by the miners.

Thanks for the tips, Stack. We tested a 24" coil machine (I think it was a Garrett, not sure) back in the '80's - it did OK on uniform, flat ground. However, like nearly all geophysical gear, when you are on steep, rocky, brushy terrain, all bets are off. A void, especially a relatively deep one, is an extremely tough nut to crack. Anyone who invents a device that will locate voids in this type of terrain will have a path beat to his door.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Springfield, you are right about that special machine design. Those Meteorite Men dudes use a machine they put together that has a HUGE square coil made from PVC pipe. But, that thing is based on a Pulse machine. This season, they are using a couple of those $15,000 Pulse Stars, too. Seems like someone with some good grounding in electronics could work out a BFO machine to do spot checks with LARGE coils that could be laid over the face of a hill in patchwork fashion to plot out the signal strength over the entire hillside. In other words, grid the hillside and see were the areas are with LOWER reactance to the machine. The machine could be preset to known solid ground in the immediate area before starting the grid.

Do you remember those Magnetometers that use to be advertised in the treasure hunting magazines? The ones that looked like 10 foot pieces of 2 inch PVC pipes with the control box at the mid point. I've never used one of those things nor do I know anyone who has, BUT, it seems possible that those could be used to grid a hillside for all voids and plot those on a map (or photo) for follow up. Theoretically, that should work. But, as I said, I've never used one so I can't say for sure. Plotting out the WEAKER areas of magnetic fields at a site SHOULD point out the voids.

peralta

Sep 28, 2011
oahu hawaii
Detector(s) used
Whites 2-box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friends, the small hole may be to look at another marker.the large hole is erosion or and the bird is a blue shape.you can see more of the same color above it.on the large peralta, they did put a shrinlike stone with a hole.you could see the aria of the mine with the squiggly lines.but if you didn't have the coding of the trail decoded you wouldn't know what to look for.good hunting.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Springfield

That sure is a pretty picture from inside looking out. The hill side kind of looks like a retaining wall. That stepped rock is something purposely made..I have seen them around but have not decided what they mean. So if you did not stack the rock, then why would they build a retaining wall..

Odd rock thanks. I kind of thought it went right too, but left had stuff too. A tiny campground area. So basically, two trails..I might have followed my trail a bit wrongly so ran across this which might not have been on my trail..excactly.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
desertmoons said:
Springfield

That sure is a pretty picture from inside looking out. The hill side kind of looks like a retaining wall. That stepped rock is something purposely made..I have seen them around but have not decided what they mean. So if you did not stack the rock, then why would they build a retaining wall......

moonie, below is how the site looked before I removed some of the rocks at the top of the plug and slid on down the backfill to floor level.

Attachments

• Mine South 2.jpg
    Mine South 2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 541

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
desertmoons said:
Springfield

That sure is a pretty picture from inside looking out. The hill side kind of looks like a retaining wall. That stepped rock is something purposely made..I have seen them around but have not decided what they mean. So if you did not stack the rock, then why would they build a retaining wall..

Odd rock thanks. I kind of thought it went right too, but left had stuff too. A tiny campground area. So basically, two trails..I might have followed my trail a bit wrongly so ran across this which might not have been on my trail..excactly.

DM

If the outline of a head looking left on your rock formation is man made/not a natural...then it may mean 200 measures in that direction. (200 varas, paces, etc.)

Oddrock

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
hadji009 said:
spring, did your gf pick up the giant heart on the left and add it to the collection?

No, she prefers the bunny trails only, so it's still in place. Most of my exploration is solo work (plus dog).

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
hadji009 said:
spring, did your gf pick up the giant heart on the left and add it to the collection?

No, she prefers the bunny trails only, so it's still in place. Most of my exploration is solo work (plus dog).

THAT explains the look on Anggie's face in that other picture. She'd rather be with your gf on the bunny trails instead of those blankity, blank, blank trails YOU favor. LMAO

Playgirl

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does a symbol of snake mean?
I can see the snake in this pic and there are a few other ones that I am not sure of if anyone could help with this I would appreciate it. I am new to the signs and symbols side of treasure hunting and everything I have read on this site posted by everyone has given me a lot of new insight.

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 657

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A squiggly snake line gives distance value and direction.

Playgirl

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you able to see the snake in the picture? Did you see any other signs? I have another pic that I can post.

Playgirl

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be a better pic. It has several signs but I cannot figure them out as to what they are. I know I see the snake faintly below the heart shadow rock.

Attachments

• DSC00001o.jpg
    DSC00001o.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,162
  • DSC00001o.jpg
    DSC00001o.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • DSC00001o.jpg
    DSC00001o.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 949

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playgirl:
The area with the snake-like figure is pretty pixalated with the zooming in done. What I was noticing was the large heart with a pointed shield covering the right half. (lower circle) There are several figures / symbols on the shield. Check up on the shapes of shields and you might get a lead on who were coming through there.
The upper circle has several figures that may include an arrowhead on a short shaft section.

DSC00001o-heart and shield.jpg

peralta

Sep 28, 2011
oahu hawaii
Detector(s) used
Whites 2-box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello pia y pico, on november 25,20011,you showed a picture of a heart and circled it.look closely.at where it points. You will see another beautiful heart.check for markings below it or see if it points to to another marker.good hunting my fround.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peralta said:
Hello pia y pico, on november 25,20011,you showed a picture of a heart and circled it.look closely.at where it points. You will see another beautiful heart.check for markings below it or see if it points to to another marker.good hunting my fround.

Thank you Peralta,

You might be talking about Springfields picture.

Playgirl

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack,
Thank you for the help you are giving! What would the arrow in the shaft mean? I also noticed a little face man on the left hand side of the photo about midways, does that have a meaning? and also near the heart with shield there is a triangular shape. Would that mean something with the heart shield?

Thanks,
Lara

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions