Camera Underwater for over two years... With Pictures....

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went for a water hunt the other day with a couple friends... Got down to the beach, and found myself out about chest deep. Got a few coins on the way out and a small musket ball... Then a big hit, thought for sure it was a can, but this time in the scoop, was a Cannon Camera....lololol.... I was kinda close to one of the guys, so I told him to stop and look at the camera so I could take his picture....
laughing7.gif
Anyway, I continued the hunt with a bulky camera in my pouch... Got a few more coins... slim pickins in this little area... Also ot a lead solgier, and a V Nickel. On my way in, I found a very nice Heavy Men's 14 K Gold Ring with 5 diamonds and some sort of a White stone any ideas? ... I am certainly on a roll this season with diamonds... But that's not the end of the story, I managed to work the Dandisk free after 2 days from the camera. I let it dry out, and plugged it into the slot in my computer.... Bam ....... It still had 152 pictures on the card... I downloaded them, and come to find out, I guess someone had tied the camera to a kite,
huh.gif
and took some pictures.... Not to sure how they did that
huh.gif
I also am guessing it wasn't tied to good, or the kite dipped a little to far down, and it went into the water, and I found it over 2 years later...... The dates of the pictures were 9/11/2010... over 2 years underwater and they were still there...wow...... Now I know why I use Sandiisks in my Nikon D 50 & D5000.... Here are a few pictures from the camera, and of the Gold Ring from that day....The last picture is a self portrait of the guy that lost the camera I guess? Anyone know him? If you look good, you can see the reflection of the camera in his sunglasses.... Good luck Hunting..... Cleaned Cannon Camera (1).JPG Kite Camera (40).JPG Kite Camera (74).JPG Cleaned Cannon Camera (3).JPG Kite  (3).JPG Kite  (9).JPG Kite  (12).JPG Kite  (16).JPG Kite  (18).JPG Kite Camera (7).JPG Kite Camera (9).JPG

Upvote 9

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the cast toy...nice looking gold too :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a good story and finds.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story! WTG on the ring!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds - stone could be shell -mother of pearl-or white marble

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that's pretty cool. it would be neat if you find the owner and reunite them with their pics

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that guy was pissed when he lost that camera. It's amazing the pics were still good.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is neat!! Maybe it was tied to a balloon instead of a kite. I beat you can find the guy that lost it with just a tiny story in the paper...d2

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
I'm thinking the camera and disk manufacturers would love this story and pics!
Good finds

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing they used the self timer to take the pictures. Then brought it back down to reset after each shot. I agree I'd bet the camera manufacturer would love this story.

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found PC

Great story! A couple weeks ago I found this PC along with some tools in the water. Unlike your case, it had the local county's property stickers on it so I knew it was stolen. I called the cops and an officer came and picked it all up. He never asked my name or anything, just said his kid wants a MD, and wanted to talk about MDing for 20 minutes!

I wasted several hours in that spot and found nothing but this and 14 big sinkers, so did not think it was worth posting. This post let me show the PC!

Ignore the two hotties, I was having trouble loading the pic and found it was initially too large.

Attachments

• iphone 003.jpg
    iphone 003.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 113
  • found laptop.JPG
    found laptop.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some terrific detective work there Whydah. I'm pretty astonished that the Sandisk still worked after that long in the water. Congratulations on working it free and for finding that terrific photo of the owner snapping a shot of himself with the self-same camera. Unique post and nice pics, thanks for sharing Whydah

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey a picture is worth a thousand words.

And i guess Diamonds are a mans best friend also:headbang:

Nice

Blaze

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a very cool story with some great finds Whydah! I am sure that if you posted a simple flyer with photos of the "owner" of the camera at your local kite shops, you will quickly find the photographer. Would he be surprised! To accomplish this "kite" photography, it would take an expensive kite, and your kite shop proprietors may know the gent in the photograph. Best of luck, I will try to help you ID the lead soldier. That ring is a killer! Sub

Last edited:

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people place a letter in a bottle not a photo in a camera. Well to each his own.

Coinhound

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your lead soldier is as follows: made by Britiains, set number 9114, 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) dismounted with horses, an eight piece set, yours being a standing trooper. Missing his right arm and the plume on his helmet, circa 1930. I hope this helps. Sub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread