What's new

Captain Kidd Charles Island, Milford,CT

ChasingKidd7

Greenie
Joined
Jun 11, 2025
Messages
15
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Hi, Im researching Captain William Kidd and Charles Island. Does anyone have any information on this?
 
It's been documented that he visited Milford and was in town.

I live in town and have been to the island where there are ruins of the old monestary there.

It was mentioned that someone supposedly found a chain and a hole was dug when a ghost in flames appeared.The men fled and when they returned the hole was filled in.

Kidd mentioned the treasure was buried at hogg rock if my memory is correct.

It is also mentioned that he buried treasure along the CT river.
 
Thanks. Hogg Rock? Where is Hogg Rock mentioned? CT river is mentioned where?
 
I've been out to the Island many times. Friend has a beach house just down from Silver Beach. At low tide you can still walk out to the island on the stone causeway that was built to service the Hotel Casino that operated there in the late 1800s early 1900s. It is now a protected Bird Sanctuary with no trespassing signs all over, which does not stop locals from exploring it. There are several large cellar holes and foundations. I have found coins and tokens from the 1800s, none older than 1840. You would need several weeks to explore it correctly, with LIDAR and GPR to have any real chance of finding something. I have found arrow heads (mostly bird points and fish points), and Indian occupation of the island is well documented. Best of luck on your research!
IMG_20170729_190514.webp
 
Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. Very cool that you found coins and arrowheads. I wouldn’t mind a few of those myself.

The local tribe stuff is documented.

Any recommendations on a first purchase of a metal detector? As I am taking it both serious searching and fun/ hobby.
 
Sent you a list with different price points. Best of Luck!
 
Thanks! If I can be if any help…. You currently hunting anything? If I come across something..
 
Great site Terry! A lot of good information.
I have a very large area I want to methodical detect. I haven’t gone through your entire site yet… but I was thinking grid pattern and flagging it out.
 
Do you have a boat or are you planning on walking over the sandbar?

If you're on the sandbar you have to watch the tides as many people have drowned as well as getting stuck on the island.

Great site Terry! A lot of good information.
I have a very large area I want to methodical detect. I haven’t gone through your entire site yet… but I was thinking grid pattern and flagging it out.
 
Thanks yeah I heard. Rebel you ever have any luck there? Or never hunted there?
 
I hunted back in the summer 86-87, if memory serves me correct with an old radio shack cheapo detector. Can't remember if I found anything or not.

So, do you have a boat or are you going to walk over?
 
Havent decided yet. Something I will have to really consider with all the factors with my objective at the time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom