What's new

Cemetary Digging Ethics

EasyMoney said:
I remember a time many years ago when a very famous football player named Joe Namath (sp?) decided to put on a pair of mesh pantyhose and showed up on tv with them. He was supposed to be very "masculine", yet he decided that it was ok to be a "GirlyMan" if the price was right, I guess.

I don't care for football, it's a bit too groupie and girlyguy for my lifestyle, and a bit gay too, not my thing. I prefer stepping into a ring or a dojo and me and another man try to beat each other's head soft or strangle each other to "uncle" instead.

Personally, I can see that we all have our own "price". I could normally buy most things I could ever find digging over the top of someone's dead bones, so why would I have to hunt there anyway? Logically, it comes down to just that, what is it worth to us, our profit, or our folly or muse. Emotionally and religiously it is a totally different thing to think about too. As for me, I find enough stuff in just about every place I look anyway so why bother with the place of the dead and rotten bodies of ancestors to begin with, while we disregard the wishes of their ancestors, or themselves when they were alive?

Is this too complicated to understand?

Luckily for me I will be buried in a national Cemetary, and nobody in their right mind would ever try to dig or beep in one of those places, it would be a Federal crime and a steep fine plus maybe 5 years with the worst people on this planet plus some hairy, smelly 400 lb guy wanting to "tailgate" someone a bit too close for comfort just because the graveyard digger was "cute". If someone detected in a Muslim cemetary all the heads would be whacked off and rolling in the street - even if someone was only a distant cousin of the perpetrator. After all, they even still kill their own daughters sometimes - just because they have been raped. Why? Because she "dishonored" the family by looking like she "needed it", I guess.

Why not treat a Christian cemetary with the same and equal respect that you would in a Muslim cemetary? Is it because it's easier to be brave in a Christian one but a coward in a Muslim one? After all, most Muslims in America have more valuables lieing under the surface in their graveyards than do most Christians in theirs.

EasyMoney
The author of this thread made it clear that he was avoiding any marked graves. That is what I have said . There are many places in the cemetery to hunt. Walks, roads, around the perimeter, in unused sections. I have found many old coins and other items in these areas. If you have permission and avoid the graves, it can be a great area to hunt. Sorry, there are no Muslim cemeteries in my area. If there was and I had permission, I would hunt it. Even though this has no bearing on the above topic.
 
1. No matter how "tough" you think you are, there's someone, somewhere, just a little bit tougher. He's the guy who don't need to brag.

2. I don't believe in digging over graves either.
 
A friend and I detected an old property from the mid 1700's a few weeks ago, we found a an old grave yard out back. We just walked through and tried to read some of the stones and uprigt some of the fallen ones. We didn't detect it at all. I wouldn't do it, but thats just me. I was really outraged about a year ago when a grave yard was "moved" because it was a valuable property in a prime commercial zone. When the local paper did an article about it they seemed to rationalize it by saying that it was "just a pauper's" grave yard many unmarked graves". Sucks to be poor
 
Items found in or near graves are considered grave goods and it is a big no no to remove them. I look at two ways. Firstly, it is just flat out disrespectful to dead to be poking around their burial ground. The 2nd way is simple enough, the cemetery has survived this long without being disturbed by developement, so just let it survive a bit longer before developement does finally encroach upon it. The dead can at least have a little bit of peace. Like one person noted earlier, let the local historical society know about the graves. Geneology is a big thing nowadays and people appreciate knowing where to find their ancestors. Final thought...if you stumble upon a cemetery, take note where it is and move on. I wouldn't want someone digging around my ancestors' graves, and 99.99% of the people you meet will share the same sentiment. Note that what I said is strictly a thinking man's thoughts. The fact that digging a cemetery is illegal is beyond the point.
 
if you dig near my family graves i will find you and beat you with your own detector!
 
OK here is what you do when you what to MD at a graveyard.

1. You work there for a few days or as long as you wan't to.

2. the day you MD you nell on the growed and say "i would love MD here for a while if i find a ring i will put it back on the stone but please let me have some old coins to keep. Tank you god be with you than you can dig.


3 Give some flowers.
 
EasyMoney said:
Well, I wouldn't think there would be any need for me to walk up to someone digging near my relative's remains and say "I'm going to put my fist right through your face for digging on or near my ancestor's remains". Some people like to brag, even a lot of professional martial artists do too, and they too don't need to. But I don't brag and I don't need to, I do just like I always do in my posts, I tell the truth and speak my words, and don't give my opinions either, because my opinions are worthless as breasts on a boar hog just like everyone else's are.

Again, if I EVER catch someone digging over, near, around, or on top of my ancestor's remains, they will get a knockout punch, or bone break and the questions later, end of story. And in a National Cemetaries or a Chinese or Korean or Muslim or Catholic or Jewish or Hindu, etc, etc cemetary the same thing might happen plus a whole lot more pain involved. And if you doubt it, try making headlines by doing it and getting caught. Or is getting caught not one of the things that gravediggers or graveyard diggers don't care to be involved in because they are afraid?

I view graveyard digging as an act to make a hole to put a dead person in, not something for an opportunist to take advantage of - by looking for something that someone left as a parting religious offering to their deceased loved ones. It really angers me that someone would do that, and if I ever catch anyone ever doing it they will be very sorry. I had an (ex) friend who showed up with someone's old gold watch that he found just under the turf in a graveyard one day. That ended our friendship. I keep my distance from those kinds of people. I find them despicable and not worthy of my company or association. And if anybody doesn't like it, that's tough..

Have fun everybody.

EasyMoney
Near or around is a lot different than over. The actual grave site is private property. If there is a walk or a road way near, AND WITH PERMISSION I would hunt it. As for your knock out punch or bone break, you would go to jail and hopefully be sued for every last penny you had. This thread started out saying nothing about hunting over a grave, you and some others brought that topic up. No you should never hunt over a known grave, but you can not stop someone for hunting the cemetery property if they have PERMISSION.
 
these threads are gay
 
is it illegal to md a cemetery ? I don't know.
is it ethical ? depends
is it morally acceptable ? NO NO NO NO

whether you believe it's right or wrong, everybody has a different opinion. some religions have different ways of viewing burial sites.
BTW the main reason why they bury bodies is to dispose of the shell, and in the modern era, they bury them deep enough so that the smell of decomposition doesn't attract wild animals
 
As long as you don't dig in graves, and you make small holes and cover them back up, I don't see a problem with it.
 
And just a side note, I could give a rats a$$ what you think. Ditto to you bud.
 
To all the internet tough guys posting bout punching people out. Your not tough. You will never be tough.


I say hunt it if you want to. Aslong as your not right over the shadow of the gravestone where the body was dropped.


Im still wondering why its ok to dig civil war relics but not a cemetary?

Why is it ok to comb a plane crash site for diamonds and jewelry?

If your going to rattle the sword against something, dont do it half-assed. Have the balls to take it to the limit. If its not your relatives corpse being detected over, dont worry about it.


Until one of you morons can tell me why its ok to pilfer the graves of civil war soldiers for items they were actually buried with but not ok to detect 1-5 inches in a graveyard, close your mouths. What relic hunters do is worse. Yet its accepted in the name of "preserving history".

Gimme a frickin break. There is enough history preserved from the civil war. Step down off the soap box and pull your heads out of your ass's.
 
Seems all right with me, the dead guys don't really care much...If its old, and out of the way, go for it...I will if I find the right place.......
 
ryaan21 said:
To all the internet tough guys posting bout punching people out. Your not tough. You will never be tough.


I say hunt it if you want to. Aslong as your not right over the shadow of the gravestone where the body was dropped.


Im still wondering why its ok to dig civil war relics but not a cemetary?

Why is it ok to comb a plane crash site for diamonds and jewelry?

If your going to rattle the sword against something, dont do it half-assed. Have the balls to take it to the limit. If its not your relatives corpse being detected over, dont worry about it.


Until one of you morons can tell me why its ok to pilfer the graves of civil war soldiers for items they were actually buried with but not ok to detect 1-5 inches in a graveyard, close your mouths. What relic hunters do is worse. Yet its accepted in the name of "preserving history".

Gimme a frickin break. There is enough history preserved from the civil war. Step down off the soap box and pull your heads out of your ass's.
i will give you the adress of my brother's grave and wait for you!
 
interesting thread to say the least, I agree with several of you, I am just not saying which ones....lol
 
flyinguy said:
ryaan21 said:
To all the internet tough guys posting bout punching people out. Your not tough. You will never be tough.


I say hunt it if you want to. Aslong as your not right over the shadow of the gravestone where the body was dropped.


Im still wondering why its ok to dig civil war relics but not a cemetary?

Why is it ok to comb a plane crash site for diamonds and jewelry?

If your going to rattle the sword against something, dont do it half-assed. Have the balls to take it to the limit. If its not your relatives corpse being detected over, dont worry about it.


Until one of you morons can tell me why its ok to pilfer the graves of civil war soldiers for items they were actually buried with but not ok to detect 1-5 inches in a graveyard, close your mouths. What relic hunters do is worse. Yet its accepted in the name of "preserving history".

Gimme a frickin break. There is enough history preserved from the civil war. Step down off the soap box and pull your heads out of your ass's.
i will give you the adress of my brother's grave and wait for you!

Nice way to treat the memory of a brother.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom