What's new

Cemetary Digging Ethics

i might hunt the perimeters of such a place, where the buggies would pull up and park, but not in amongst the graves. i dunno, it seems kinda disrespectfull to me, even though its a long forgotten 200 year old colonial cemetery. finding something that was intentionally left on a grave would make me feel terrible to the point that i would not enjoy the find, but that's me.
 
Hi im like Bridge End Farms

OLD CEMETERIES
just hunt where the buggies were parked which is on the outside
of the actuall cemetery, if theres any kinda boundry like stone,
iron fence ect. stay on the outsides.

Lots of the Cemeterys at one time in the old days were located
close too some of the Church's might have been behind them
or off to the sides.

NEW CEMETERIES
Olny where parking is next too the road
 
Hey all,
For the most part I agree with most of you. However, I do think there are times that warrant some work. In the city of Julian, Ca., there is a old " privately " owned cemetery. This cemetery has ( if I remember correctly ) over 50 pioneers buried at their site. No name, no kin, no data, nothing, just a body chucked into a box during the mining boom of the 1800's. I for one would like to see a " respectful " excavation and reburial. At least that way the cemetery may be able to at least put a name on some of these forgotten souls. One of these men is a " original " miner and a main source of information for Philip A Bailey's book Golden Mirages. Some have called this book the " bible " of Southern California treasure stories. His name was Charles McCloud. No one knows where he is buried exactly, but they do know he is in the cemetery. He and along with up to 49 other prospecters are 6 ft down and forgotten. I would like to see someone do something to honor these men. If that means digging them up and recording who and what is in every spot... Then I'm for it. If I was out on the desert and came across a old emigrant who lost his life on the trail. I would surely do the right thing, and yes that would be calling the authorities and making sure he or she gets a proper burial. I am not for digging up a grave for the spoils. But if someone was to find a old gravesite or cemetery, someone should be contacted and if they do nothing... then there is always the media... and love to expose people for not helping out a old forgotten grave...

PLL
 

Attachments

  • mcloud11.webp
    mcloud11.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 829
I gave my opinion earlier on swinging. Personally I have never came across a old forgetten cemetery, tombstone in the woods hunting that I know of. I am sure in all my travels it is possible I could of been standing on a grave from a death during a wagon train moving. I have though come across one or two within city limits that were just flat run down. I walked around them and take names down, etc and look them up. Might not of been famous but they "were still someone" after I got some data I made an appointment and seen the politician (commissioner) in charge of that area and discuss it being the way it was. I'm sorry I see folks (prisoners) cleaning ditches for their time I feel they can clean a cemetery too. Then I'd hit on the local Boy Scout Troop to come clean it. I just hope some day many many years from now I too and the ground I occupy is respected as my body awaits it resurrection with God
 
Hey Bridge,
Somewhere, someone or maybe many someones are saying Thanks... To get to a politician, a prison, or a boy scout troop to try to help... That's REALLY GREAT...
Thankx for thinking out of the "box" and for them thankx for doing what you can...

PLL
 
This type of behavior reflects badly on our hobby:

67 Bodies Secretly Exhumed From NM Grave

Apr 9, 6:29 AM (ET)

By MELANIE DABOVICH

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Working in secret, federal archaeologists have dug up the remains of dozens of soldiers and children near a Civil War-era fort after an informant tipped them off about widespread grave-looting.

The exhumations, conducted from August to October, removed 67 skeletons from the parched desert soil around Fort Craig - 39 men, two women and 26 infants and children, according to two federal archaeologists who helped with the dig.

They also found scores of empty graves and determined 20 had been looted.

The government kept its exhumation of the unmarked cemetery near the historic New Mexico fort out of the public's eye for months to prevent more thefts.

The investigation began with a tip about an amateur historian who had displayed the mummified remains of a black soldier, draped in a Civil War-era uniform, in his house.

Investigators say the historian, Dee Brecheisen, may have been a prolific looter who spotted historical sites from his plane. Brecheisen died in 2004 and although it was not clear whether the looting continued after his death, authorities exhumed the unprotected site to prevent future thefts.


The rest of the article is here: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080409/D8VU9MJ00.html
 
Its not unethical at all. Its not like yor digging down to the caskets. Some people on this board ive noticed are always afraid of "looking bad". I obviously wouldnt do it if it was a still used cemetary but if its long forgotten in the woods i would clean it up with a lawnmower and weed wacker then detect it. If anyone complained about it I would point out the fact that it has been ramshackle for how long without anyone looking after it and if they were so concerned they would have taken a more active role in maintaining it. I for one am sick of the cower and run attitude ive noticed on these boards and others.

People would rather run and not face a situation than take a stand for their rights. And this goes beyond the original posters post. If im out detecting and someone asks me to leave I ask them for the proper ID and authority. Mainly this happens at parks or schools. Our town has zero laws against metal detecting so these idiots try to bend the law to encompass metal detecting. 9/10 times the people have over stepped their authority and have been proven to be nothing more than a nosy pig...not minding their own buisness. I know this post maysound harsh but this sight has for so long been a site i loved to come to. Now it seems it is turning into a gathering place for people who are afraid they might get into trouble for something they have every right in the world to be doing. Now this applies to those hunting areas that are not against the law to hunt. I am in no way saying it is ok or ever will be ok to hunt off limits areas.


Getting back to the orginal topic......if your not disturbing the inhabitants go for it.



Also i find it funny how people dont have issues with someone digging war relics. THose poor people didnt have the privelage of being properly buried....they were buried by time and decomposition. Yet people dont think twice about digging there. Sounds a little moronic to me.


Once again if the sight is in the woods and all run down and no one is taking care of it......dont let a few posts from people here scare you away from it. Take the time to clean it properly and fix whatever headstones are broken and have fun.
 
Nice post, Ryan. Thank you. I've salvaged an abandoned cemetery before, and the work involved is astronomical. I appreciate that you understand the effort involved.

Once you've cleaned the cemetery, though, what do you hope to find by MDing it? Just because it has been "abandoned" for a while, does that mean it's "yours?" to do with what you wish?

From your post, it sounds like you've declared the land to be yours.

"I obviously wouldnt do it if it was a still used cemetary but if its long forgotten in the woods i would clean it up with a lawnmower and weed wacker then detect it. "If anyone complained about it I would point out the fact that it has been ramshackle for how long without anyone looking after it and if they were so concerned they would have taken a more active role in maintaining it. I for one am sick of the cower and run attitude ive noticed on these boards and others."
 
I'd not do i because of the laws here in Sweden to.
About the "run and hide" attitude when confronted I will move somewhere else and get back later not because of that I'm afraid but I want to give a good impression. There is a BIG difference between being a coward and polite.

And about war relics they are also out of reach because of the law. :tongue3:

Now for "restoring and renovating" it that is a completely different thing.
 
Felinepeachy said:
Personally I think there are enough treasures to find everywhere else that there is no need to go looking for them in a cemetery. One thing though, there are many graves that were marked by wooden markers and would be long rotted away. For all we know any of us could have inadvertently hunted a grave site without knowing it. Let your conscience be your guide.
Your right Feline i wondered about the hot springs where you hunt because of its history i bet someone is buried out there ???
 
Noodle,dont try to put words into my mouth. I never once stated the site would be MINE. Im not sure of your reading skills at this point. I told him to clean and fix as much as possible and do some detecting. I dont recall saying it would be HIS cemetery. Your attempt to try and make it seem like i did say that is rediculous. If it is that run down and forgotten about and he decides to clean it up and make it look nice who cares if he detects there. Is it affecting you or I? Didnt think so. So before you open your trap and accuse me of anything else i suggest you take a course in reading comprehension. Dont twist my post to fit your own little ideas. Its idiotic and insulting.


Still no ideas on relic hunting. Kinda thought there wouldnt be any. It must be ok to dig aslong as there isnt a headstone involved.
 
ryaan21 said:
Its not unethical at all. Its not like yor digging down to the caskets. Some people on this board ive noticed are always afraid of "looking bad". I obviously wouldnt do it if it was a still used cemetary but if its long forgotten in the woods i would clean it up with a lawnmower and weed wacker then detect it. If anyone complained about it I would point out the fact that it has been ramshackle for how long without anyone looking after it and if they were so concerned they would have taken a more active role in maintaining it. I for one am sick of the cower and run attitude ive noticed on these boards and others.

People would rather run and not face a situation than take a stand for their rights. And this goes beyond the original posters post. If im out detecting and someone asks me to leave I ask them for the proper ID and authority. Mainly this happens at parks or schools. Our town has zero laws against metal detecting so these idiots try to bend the law to encompass metal detecting. 9/10 times the people have over stepped their authority and have been proven to be nothing more than a nosy pig...not minding their own buisness. I know this post maysound harsh but this sight has for so long been a site i loved to come to. Now it seems it is turning into a gathering place for people who are afraid they might get into trouble for something they have every right in the world to be doing. Now this applies to those hunting areas that are not against the law to hunt. I am in no way saying it is ok or ever will be ok to hunt off limits areas.

Getting back to the orginal topic......if your not disturbing the inhabitants go for it.

Also i find it funny how people dont have issues with someone digging war relics. THose poor people didnt have the privelage of being properly buried....they were buried by time and decomposition. Yet people dont think twice about digging there. Sounds a little moronic to me.


Once again if the sight is in the woods and all run down and no one is taking care of it......dont let a few posts from people here scare you away from it. Take the time to clean it properly and fix whatever headstones are broken and have fun.
Noodle,dont try to put words into my mouth. I never once stated the site would be MINE. Im not sure of your reading skills at this point. I told him to clean and fix as much as possible and do some detecting. I dont recall saying it would be HIS cemetery. Your attempt to try and make it seem like i did say that is rediculous. If it is that run down and forgotten about and he decides to clean it up and make it look nice who cares if he detects there. Is it affecting you or I? Didnt think so. So before you open your trap and accuse me of anything else i suggest you take a course in reading comprehension. Dont twist my post to fit your own little ideas. Its idiotic and insulting.
________________________

Ah, are you ok, Ryaan? Who is ... him? You were speaking of detecting there, not "him."

I obviously wouldnt do it if it was a still used cemetary but if its long forgotten in the woods i would clean it up with a lawnmower and weed wacker then detect it. If anyone complained about it I would point out the fact that it has been ramshackle for how long without anyone looking after it and if they were so concerned they would have taken a more active role in maintaining it.

So, Ryaan, are you saying it's ok to detect a cemetery because it's neglected?

Your post was so out of character for you. What's up?
 
mmmmmm ethical

When it comes down to ethics and being ethical, it is more who it is and what their beliefs are. Thats why some ask and some don't, some cover holes some don't, some pick up and dispose of trash some don't, etc.

I don't understand the difference in a still used cemetary or a long forgotten one. To me it is still a cemetary. But that is my beliefs so I guess no one will have to worry about seeing me there. :wink:
 
It's not an issue for me.
I don't detect on top of the graves anyway, not because
I think it's unethical but because I'd rather not be mistakenly
thought of as being a "bone digger." I detect around the
the edges cemetary. The idea of bringing a weed wacker and cleaning up the
area is a good one. It's an Idea I'll adobt.

Katz :cat:
Cats LOVE to dig....
but so do dogs for that matter!
 
I don't understand the difference in a still used cemetary or a long forgotten one. To me it is still a cemetary.

I agree. I think they mean if it is long forgotten no one will care as much if you MD there. :icon_scratch:

I think it is better to report to some authorities or something so they can restore or preserve or what ever they do.
I think even the dead deserve respect, dead since yesterday or 150 years; it does not matter.
 
Whatever you do Don't Dance ! ! ! !

I saw a Movie Once.

It Gets Scary ! ! ! !
 
jeff of pa said:
Whatever you do Don't Dance ! ! ! !

I saw a Movie Once.

It Gets Scary ! ! ! !

LMAO... :tongue3:


If I ever did, or ever would, I'd never talk about it here.
 
I've differed with several on this forum over the years on this subject, but not for ghoulish reasons. I do not personally hunt cemeteries, because loved ones sometimes leave momentoes on top of graves. Silver or gold lockets, heart-shaped momentoes, coins with significant dates, etc.

Noodle has taken the time to help us out with the spelling of CEMETERY but has trouble with MEMENTO.

I think I'd pass on detecting in a cemetery because it would make me feel uncomfortable.
 
I wasn't going to join in this thread 'cause cemeteries are nowhere near me. But I'll jump in here 'cause I did almost hunt an old cemetery. I'll cut to the chase. In Woodbourne, NY there is an 1829 church with a cemetery in its property raised above a major road. My brother-in-law lives right across the road from the cemetery. I envisioned tons of old coins in the property so one day I found the grounds keeper and asked for permission to detect the church area. I didn't find a damn thing!

But next to the cemetery was an old area that had steps leading up from the road to a flattened area that used to hold a smaller church but the building was no longer there, just a remnat in the back. On one side of this property is a small, old cemetery which adjoins the larger cemetery but is separated by a low wall. I wanted to detect the small cemetery as I had permission but I didn't not because of any ethical considerations. I didn't because I was scared that I would fall into a depression that could contain a coffin!

The only thing that I found in the land that use to contain the old church was a beautiful Art Nouveau pin which I gave to my wife's sister-in-law.

If you get permission to dig in a cemetery, no emotional reasons should interfere. Just look out for loose top dirt that could give under your weight.

SF
 
To me,resting places both old and new,are off limits,its a matter of respect not just for the folks who have passed,but also for the family that remains.I cant nor will I ever dig a cemetary
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom