What's new

Check out this cool whatsit!!!

richm

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my son Paul was bugging me to go to the 1700's demolished house site at 5:30 in the rain. Wrapped the DFX in plastic and off we went. First target was this cool colonial looking buckle thing. my son and i have a five dollar bet going. he says its a buckle for some sort of belt, and i say its some kind of hair thingy. .... rich and paul
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 447
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    24 KB · Views: 432
  • buckle3.webp
    buckle3.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 441
  • buckle4.webp
    buckle4.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 431
  • buckle5.webp
    buckle5.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 445
Shoe buckle? Ill leave the buckle IDs to someone more knowlegable.It looks very old and in excellent shape. Nice find..
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
shoe buckle? It looks very old and in excellent shape. Nice find..

Without question a colonial shoe buckle...

But was it found in this condition? It's in remarkable shape... and you should not rule out reproduction.

If that's authentic - you've quite a find!
 
Upvote 0
What a beauty. One of the best I've seen posted!

I vote best hair thingy ever! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
That is a fantastic looking shoe buckle ! One of the nicest I've seen posted in a while ! I hope it is authentic !!! Congrats !
 
Upvote 0
I doubt it is a reproduction. This was found at the "Jonathan Wilcox 1740 House". Everything I've recovered here has been authentic. They had just bulldozed dirt from the property into the cellar hole after demolishing the structure. I will take pics of the site and post them. It very well might have been from the house itself or the cellar, maybe protected by the structure. All I did was clean it, give it a peroxide bath and oil it........Rich.
 
Upvote 0
That is the best colonial shoe buckle I have seen posted in a long long time!!! :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
richm said:
I doubt it is a reproduction. This was found at the "Jonathan Wilcox 1740 House". Everything I've recovered here has been authentic. They had just bulldozed dirt from the property into the cellar hole after demolishing the structure. I will take pics of the site and post them. It very well might have been from the house itself or the cellar, maybe protected by the structure. All I did was clean it, give it a peroxide bath and oil it........Rich.

Then congratulations on an absolutely awesome buckle!
 
Upvote 0
pay the kid his $5 --great old shoe buckle
 
Upvote 0
bradyboy, just came out of the ground about an hour before the pic was taken. Gave it a peroxide bath and coating of oil. Which brings me to ask you guys a question. I used regular vegetable oil instead of olive oil, will that harm it?? Rich.
 
Upvote 0
richm said:
bradyboy, just came out of the ground about an hour before the pic was taken. Gave it a peroxide bath and coating of oil. Which brings me to ask you guys a question. I used regular vegetable oil instead of olive oil, will that harm it?? Rich.


No, it will be fine. Just leave it alone and it will eventually just dry a bit and turn back to a little ligher color, like when dug.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom