Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20191215_123857.jpg I found this sword yesterday and was hoping to confirm it being a U.S cavalry .
I found it on a rock outcrop overlooking the river on my property . it was only in the ground 2'' deep and overloaded my machine with an iron tone.
I took these pic with my phone as soon as I figured out what it was.
I 'm seeking advice on how to clean or preserve it.
keep in mind it is stuck in the scabbard and soaking may not work because it can't be rinsed properly I have it setting in the area of the woodstove in an effort to remove all the moisture.
dig those large iron signals guys , the next one may be something good.. DSCN2476.jpg 20191215_123549.jpg 20191215_122946.jpg DSCN2475.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 173
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heckofa find and Save on the CW Cavalry Sabre and scabbard. They would have had to perform CPR on this relic hunter. Please keep us informed on the.treatment and the removal of the sabre from the scabbard. I too am anxious to see this once the sabre is freed. I also vote Banner find on this piece of History. This is truly a once in a lifetime find. This looks like a museum quality relic and will look great in your collection. Very happy for you. Continue hitting this area hard, low, and slow. No telling what may be just out there waiting to be brought up. Continued Success to you.
Go back a few pages and see the pics of the sword out of the scabbard . the blade is in real nice shape

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is in remarkably good shape for being in the scabbard and being in the ground for some 150 plus years. So glad you were able to free the sabre from the scabbard
without causing any damage to either piece. Amazing, simply Amazing.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be a good time for you to sell some land in Cumberland to CW hunters. Come on folks, admit it - how many of you looked up raw land in the Cumberland area on Zillow after seeing this choice sword?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to post this when we were all trying to figure out how to get the sword out of the scabbard, but Ticndig beat us all to it. I figured I'd go ahead and throw it on anyway. This is an anchor bolt on an old chicken house on my grandparents place that was built in the 40s. Never once thought I stood a chance of getting the nut off, but figured what the hell, I'd give PB Blaster a try. Sprayed it and let it sit for a week, sprayed it again and waited a day. All the others turned right off. This one was the worst and I could feel it twisting and thought this would be the only one that it wouldn't work on. Tried bumping the crescent wrench with the heel of my hand, and damned if it didn't break loose. I know this is off the topic, but I had to share with somebody. By the way, I'm also a believer in Kroil, too.

PB.jpg PB1.jpg PB2.jpg

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm very curious and was wondering if you found any other Civil War relics nearby to this sword and what kind of relics, if you don't mind me asking? Being on a ridge-top, could be some kind of cavalry picket post or scouting post nearby.

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found some minnie balls and flat buttons . I find more native American points here than relics.

the site is the top of an 80' bluff overlooking the river with rocks the size of your fist up to the size of a car.

from this point you overlook the river and nearby road .

next door is a chimney laid with flat stone and no mortar ,it's very old indeed so maybe the troops went there for food.
I can see falling off a horse on the bluff , it's so steep you can hardly stand up to detect ,It's almost straight up in places .

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value I wouldnt expect to be too high unless it tied to someone "special" in particular. I found Non replica 1860's swords that have been well preserved only fetching as much as 1000$ which i think is crazy seeing as you can buy a regular old, new age, run of the mill pocket knife for 1000 easily.

We all know this .... Something is only WORTH as much as somebody is willing to pay - Not that you'd ever sell this. Too cool to let go.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Fantastic FIND !!!! 50 % automatic transmission fluid and 50% Acetone will soak and help remove the sword. Good luck and PLEASE keep us UPDATED !!

I second this! Works better than any commercial penetrating oil I’ve found. I’ve broken some NASTY old engine parts loose this that exact thing.

Bedrock Bryan

Mar 14, 2015
Oregon and Central to Northern CA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab GP3500, Goldbug 2, Deus...high frequency and stock coils, Equinox 800, and Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes incredible find NO DOUBT...! Congrats

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh my , I had no idea of the possible value . this ones going in the safe.

yeah... um... when it comes to "value" ... so much is factor...

#1 is condition. condition, condition.

This is a stellar find no doubt... but its value would be no more than $250 IMO due to the condition.

Not knocking it... but it is what it is.

Hang the sucker above your T.V. on the wall and call it a day... then you will have something to stare at when commercials are on. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS...

I hear a lot about "restoration" on this site.

I for one...

Hate seeing something restored.

I like the fact something is the way it is.

IF it aint a car / boat or motorcycle... tractor OR some other motor related item... DONT restore.

MOST TIMES the value is ruined anyway.

NOW... the marks... yes... wire off to recover the info.

Gently.

IF it were me to find that sabre...

I would clean it thoroughly... and leave as much natural patina as possible... and on the wall it would hang... AS IS.

And if it had a particle of dirt still clinging... so be it.

That just gives its "provenance". heh

Last edited:
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not in to the restore aspect of it . In my mind the soldier tried to scale the 80 bluff on horseback and the horse was unable to climb the almost vertical hill resulting in the soldier falling off and busting the guard up .

so the damage is part of the story not to be repaired to look unharmed.

I'm a hunter and collector and enjoy the history more than money that slips through the hands like water through a sieve .

what does worry me is cleaning the blade. most of it looks like dirty polished steel not rust , I don't want it turning black from any treatment. such as electrolysis. or vinegar bath. the scabbard is pitted and needs to be treated for sure.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not in to the restore aspect of it . In my mind the soldier tried to scale the 80 bluff on horseback and the horse was unable to climb the almost vertical hill resulting in the soldier falling off and busting the guard up .

so the damage is part of the story not to be repaired to look unharmed.

I'm a hunter and collector and enjoy the history more than money that slips through the hands like water through a sieve .

what does worry me is cleaning the blade. most of it looks like dirty polished steel not rust , I don't want it turning black from any treatment. such as electrolysis. or vinegar bath. the scabbard is pitted and needs to be treated for sure.

Clean and good blade oil.

Just like a blade would be treated today.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No reason for another comment, other than my hat is OFF to you. First just for finding it. So, I'm reading all these ideas about freeing it from the scabbard, and I'm thinking, "Absolutely FORGET it. It is one big gob of rust in there. That blade will never see the light of day again unless you destroy the scabbard, and even then, you'll have two handfuls of rust and a pommel, hilt and hand guard." (I was quite self-righteous and confident) Then scrolling I see it's free!! And in INCREDIBLE condition to boot! Hat off, again and again. Congrats, and wonderful that you are not going to straighten and restore. That dude is PERFECT like it is! Value? Well more than $250 in my opinion. But maybe not $700. Again, it's the STORY. Wow. Just wow. I'd daydream a lot about how it came to rest there. So incredible too, that it was in ROCKY soil, and "handle down" so water always drained out. I would not in any way, believe that blade is "un-messed with" unless I had followed your post and progress. Mind blown.

My sword (blade only) and scabbard can be seen in the back of the case in this picture. They were not found together. In the foreground is just about 15" of a scabbard I found last spring. Can't even BEGIN to compare with what you have. However, there is some "big iron" in this pic which I ALWAYS dig when on a battlefield. Like that shell fragment in wood. Haven't seen many of them. It was in a black-mud swamp. But if you don't dig big iron, you miss some good stuff . . . Huge congrats!

DSCN7920.jpg

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the reply and pics of your relics . I've been digging big iron for years and have the goods to prove it!
It all started over 30 years ago by not knowing how to detect and having a cheap machine. man I was lugging home the iron.
I'm still in shock over this find as this place is NOT a treasure trove ,and shocked as well it came apart and looks so good.
It is an area with very old chimneys setting on rocky overlooks and just 20 miles or so from Appomattox Courthouse where the war ended.
It was found one year to the day of when I moved here from fredericksburg Va . now that place was a treasure trove 30 years ago. oh man the relics that came out of that place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions