Coin Found - Dominican Republic - Need ID Help

May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I have this coin from Dominican Republic, I am trying to identify it and find out if it is valuable. Does anyone know the wreck it came from, if it actually looks real and what move should I make next? I know it's stamped with 1733, I believe it is a Mexican coin.

Thanks so much and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Brandon

IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find!
Value?...
however much they are sold at souvenir shops.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet. Did you find it or buy it? There's not much wear on it and it has a cast look to it. The coin guys will be in later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I will upload more images when I get home this evening. I bought this coin for $500.00 in Punta Cana - I was just in Key West, visiting the Mel Fisher museum and shop. I did purchase more coins there that came with paperwork. However, while there I was talking with them about this particular coin. They basically told me I should come on here for help, since I did think it was fake and no longer have those same doubts. They said it could very well be real and I really need more eyes who know.

I was hoping I can get help here and find out if I have an amazing piece of history, or I got taken advantage of :(

Thanks so much for help and more photos coming soon.

Best,
Brandon

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Without a valid Certificate of Authenticity and sold by a reputable dealer, I would not have paid anything more than souvenir value.
I'm not saying it's a replica, but I wouldn't be laying out $500 before I knew otherwise.
Don.....

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I edited this post to remove the music video I'd posted. I apologize for being seemingly rude.

I zoomed in on the photo and agree with it appearing cast. Above that if it is real, I think you paid too much for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good, Take it to a coin Dealer, most once in hand can tell right away if its a replica. I hope not Mel Fisher is my hero I always wanted to see his Museum I would love to see some pics pm me if you have any you could forward!!! I really hope ypu made a great score!!!Tommy

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you can afford to spend 500 bucks, on a whim, to a stranger, in the Dominican, then I guess you aint doin too bad lol. You should have offered him just a tad above silver content. That way you dont lose much. I would love to hear the story that came with this coin. Also dont take my word for it. Im certainly no expert on Spanish cobs or Reales although I have found a few. It just doesnt look right to me. The letters look funky and the wear patterns are not right. But some parts look nice. Try posting in the Spanish cob Forum here at Treasurenet. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone, thanks for all the input and opinions so far. All are appreciated! So when I bought this coin, I was 23 (I'm 32 now) - I happened to be in Punta Cana with my boss at the time. Inside the resort, they were selling these same coins at the jewelry shop for around $1,000. My boss, who was also a close mentor of mine knew I loved history and offered to buy it for me and I could "work off" the Debt when I got home. This was at around $12.50/Hr mind you, so I was far from rich lol. Anyway, a few days later I was snorkeling with some locals and they seemed like really good guys and were pretty smart in my opinion. They dove all over that area and were also scuba instructors. Anyway we ended up talking about that coin I saw and he said I could buy from his personal collection and save money. So I have no idea if he was a scam artist or a good guy. I alsways thought I got ripped off, but after speaking to the Mel Fisher team, I'm really curious to find out. I did see similar coins like this one online for around $1,500-$3,500 depending on grade etc.

I'm not looking to make money on the coin, just want to know if I should show it off next to the real one I just bought or throw it in a drawer as a bad memory.

Included are some photos of the Mel Fiaher museum and the coin I purchased with paperwork. (For the person who asked above)

IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
May 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more photos, also, I put it next to a real silver coin from 1783. Obviously the 1783 coin has been professionally cleaned and polished very well.

IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I dont imagine a jewelry shop inside a resort is the best place to compare prices. Try looking on eBay at the sold listings. (Dont buy from eBay unless you know what you are doing) just look at the prices for comparison. or maybe Sedwicks they are very reliable. Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC Shipwreck Coins and Artifacts of all Nations - Spanish Colonial & Latin American Coins If those scuba guys ripped you, that very rotten. But keep in mind these types are professionals and they prey on American tourists.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here are some more photos, also, I put it next to a real silver coin from 1783. Obviously the 1783 coin has been professionally cleaned and polished very well.
The shiny coin in the bezel looks like a 2 Real. I understand its a jewelry piece but I never heard of professionally polishing a coin. Do not ever shine a silver coin, it diminishes the value.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell, the one in the bezel is a genuine One Real, and due to being polished is probably worth only a little over silver value. The other one is a cast base metal fake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread