What's new

Colonial Knife??

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Composition is iron. And was dug in NC. Does anyone know what it is? :)
Thanks! HHHH
 

Attachments

  • DSC00029.webp
    DSC00029.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC00031.webp
    DSC00031.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC00030.webp
    DSC00030.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 457
What makes you think it is colonial? I have found several that have the same shape of what appears to be a blade. Fairly common blade shape.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Looks like an old Farriers knife. knife farriers hoof & claw.webp
 
Upvote 0
That was my thought. I've found too many pieces with the same shape not to be something common.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Maybe it was a One Armed Man Knife ?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 006.webp
    Picture 006.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0
Great pic mojjax :icon_thumright: Looks more like the knife above 'one armed man'. Were those surgical knives?
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Great pic mojjax :icon_thumright: Looks more like the knife above 'one armed man'. Were those surgical knives?

My guess would be no.. A combination knife/fork for "one armed men"..?
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • img845.webp
    img845.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
4-H, I see this is green checked, but I don't think it is a knife. Are you sure we're not looking at this thing the wrong way? It looks like it might have had a hole through what we see as the "Blade", but if that is a hole then the flat part would have been within the handle. The part that seperates the two sides is at right angles, not tapered as knives are. it looks more like the flat part might have been covered on both sides with wood not unlike the old screw drivers were. http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=antique+screwdriver&hl=en&sa=N&um=1
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
4-H, I see this is green checked, but I don't think it is a knife. Are you sure we're not looking at this thing the wrong way? It looks like it might have had a hole through what we see as the "Blade", but if that is a hole then the flat part would have been within the handle. The part that seperates the two sides is at right angles, not tapered as knives are. it looks more like the flat part might have been covered on both sides with wood not unlike the old screw drivers were. http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=antique+screwdriver&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

Great observation johnnyi :icon_thumright: I think you're right.
 

Attachments

  • ist2_6403685-vintage-screwdriver-isolated-on-white-background.webp
    ist2_6403685-vintage-screwdriver-isolated-on-white-background.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Great pic mojjax :icon_thumright: Looks more like the knife above 'one armed man'. Were those surgical knives?
butter knives, the one-armed man knife is just a fork and butter knife in one, which is interesting but I think this is not.
 
Upvote 0
I think IS and johnny got it. I have one of those old iron handled screwdrivers. They are great to hammer on. They dont make them like they used to. This one however has bent. They are hard to bend.
 
Upvote 0
I just posted pic from johnnyi's link. Good 'outside the box thinking' johnnyi :wink:
 
Upvote 0
It looks most like a broken fork to me...
 

Attachments

  • forks.webp
    forks.webp
    99.3 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0
scratcher said:
It looks most like a broken fork to me...

But why a fork and not a spoon?

I think the wide handle part fits the screwdriver idea better.
 
Upvote 0
scratcher said:
It looks most like a broken fork to me...
You may be correct because the iron screwdrivers are hard to bend, they have a heavy metal part to hammer on thats missing and the wide part right before the wood looks more like a fork (or spoon perhaps). It is hard to say.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom