Yes. Lawyer/Legislators willfully turn a blind eye and the non-lawyer politicians cannot challenge the status quo without getting sued..
The SC General Assembly has a higher percentage of lawyer/legislators than any other state. It also has the lowest per capita bar membership, which I'm told helps facilitate the abounding anti-trust violations. For example, it's easier to form monopolies on goods and services when there are fewer choices in the marketplace. When there are only a handful of business attorneys in your small town, and they all work together, have worked together for many years, there is never a truly adversarial court action. It's all theater.
I've petitioned the SC Attorney General's Office, my 15th Circuit Solicitor's Office, local Sheriff, local Clerk of Court, the SC Office of Disciplinary Counsel, the SC Judicial Merit Selection Commission (9 of the 10 members are practicing criminal defense attorneys) , and the SC Department of Licensing, Labor, and Regulation.
I've contacted the IRS, the SBA, and the FBI (twice), I've attempted to file as a pro se litigant with the SC Court of Appeals, the SC Supreme Court. They've written rules of procedure which make it impossible for a self-represented litigant to get information. Attorneys in South Carolina are SELF-REGULATED (read: not regulated whatsoever).I There are simply no consequences when they don't follow the law. It must be a spectacular crime before there's a chance of an attorney being held accountable.
I've contacted the SC Law Enforcement Division, SC Secretary of State, and SC Congressman Lindsey Graham. I've even testified twice before the SC House of Representatives, once before a House Ad-Hoc Committee on Judicial Reform and again before the SC House Constitutional Committee regarding the same.
At every level, I go through the same process. Phase 1: I psyche myself up to believe there may be someone who isn't corrupt, someone who might help. I try not to prejudge, try not to be argumentative, try to be professional. Phase 2: I get hurt yet again. Phase 3: I ask myself if the person or agency is corrupt or simply incompetent (the answer has always been the former). Phase 4: I lick my wounds, recover as best I can, then get up and try again.
The same lawyers who make the laws in South Carolina also practice before the same judges they put on the bench. It's an ouroboros of injustice.
Once a litigant has been marked this way, the agenda is nothing less than complete annihilation. It's clear to me this is what happened/is still happening to Tommy Thompson. And don't get me started on the psychological warfare, tech issues, cyber stalking, and all the rest. There seems to be direct correlation between the resources employed to do harm and the amount of assets on the table. Given the value of Thompson's treasure, I'd wager he's suffered as much litigation related terror as any human being in the history of the world.
The harm would continue for Thompson as it would be next to impossible to find effective legal representation while in jail. It appears Rick Robol is a stand up guy as the court prevented him from representing Thompson back in 2011 just before the contempt ball truly got rolling. Robol was heavily sanctioned and ultimately had to resign practicing in both Ohio and Virgina. Based on these facts, I'd say Robol attempted to stand up for Tommy and suffered severe consequences as a result. All Thompson's communications in jail would be monitored, so any attorney who might be able to help would likely be blocked from making the connection.
At the end of the day. Thompson is being falsely imprisoned. He has been for more than 9 years. Interestingly, the record for longest incarceration for civil contempt is reportedly held by H. Beatty Chadwick, an attorney who was incarcerated for 14 years because they claimed he withheld 2.5M in funds during his own divorce proceedings. While I don't trust any lawyers, I tend to believe Chadwick was targeted based on the fact that, upon digging, I found the reference to the missing funds that stated Chadwick invested $5,000 that was somehow potentially supposed to pay out exponentially to the absurd 2.5 million amount. Whatever may be true or not true, the facts were never confirmed. The accountants hired to search for the "missing" money, never found evidence it ever existed. Still, Chadwick did 14 years because of it. Highly notable: when lower court judges ruled that Chadwick must be released, it was then Court of Appeals Judge Samuel Alito (current controversial US Supreme Court Justice) who reversed the lower court's decision to ensure Chadwick remained incarcerated. This precedent set by Alito is continually cited in civil contempt cases to this day. It's a precedent which keeps people like Thompson and a large population of predominantly young black men incarcerated for "contempt" based on debt owed for late child support payments.
Because judges claim absolute immunity from prosecution, they can do anything they wish without fear of consequence. They can literally get away with murder. Make no mistake, this is slow motion homicide.
I believe Tommy Thompson is still alive because it's more profitable for lawyers and others to keep him in a prolonged state of incarceration limbo. According to previous rulings, Thompson is entitled to vast funds. The court can't take that away without revealing glaring theft. They can, however, keep Thompson wrongly incarcerated, fine him daily, and create legal fees through useless hearing after useless hearing. Even when a litigant is self-represented in court, a judge can simply order the targeted party to pay the opposing party's legal fees. It's a never-ending revenue stream, a cash cow for attorneys and all the "experts", etc. they hire.
If Mr. Thompson left this mortal coil, the matter would most likely be moved to probate court. There would be estate taxes, etc. which would shift the access/flow of funds from the current beneficiaries to additional third-parties including the IRS.
In my greatest imaginings, Mr. Thompson and the rest of us so targeted would be vindicated. We'd be made as whole as may be possible, and the exposure of such egregious crimes would upend the system and prevent future harm.
In a situation where one can't reconcile the scope of harm done, it might be something like a salve to know the suffering was worth something, that it opened doors to fundamental change in the American justice system.
If all of this intentional harm resulted in protection for those most often targeted by corrupt attorneys: children, the elderly, the disabled, veterans, minorities, women, and the morally upright citizens who will not consent to stealing from the government and others through predatory litigation, then maybe a measure of peace might be found.
We won't know until the last chapter is written. Until then, I hope Tommy Thompson continues to endure.
For me', Thompson's a compass point, a touchstone. If he can weather such storms, then so can I.