DANGERS IN CAVES

The Hammer

Greenie
Feb 4, 2006
Hobbs NM.
Re: DANGERS IN CAVES

:P A good and proven method of clearing snakes out of holes is to take a hand held pump up sprayer full of gasoline. Spray the gasoline into the cave as far back as possible while covering as much surface area as possible. The snakes can't stand the fumes and will start to vacate the hole or cave.
Be careful. If there is a den there will be lots of snakes coming out looking for relief from the fumes.

Good Luck,
The Hammer

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you do get the smakes out. Check the writing on the walls.
if you can get pics of it, post it. I saw something like that in a cave in
Southwest Va a long time ago, was going to go back and check it,
But never did.
Roadquest

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:P? A good and proven method of clearing snakes out of holes is to take a hand held pump up sprayer full of gasoline.? Spray the gasoline into the cave as far back as possible while covering as much surface area as possible.?
Good Luck,
The Hammer
~~~~~

A) HOLA HAMMER: you forgot to mention that volatilized gasoline is extremely explosive = equal to dynamite.

"NO SMOKING"!!! obviously!ill

Till Eulenspeigle - Jose de La Mancha

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse

You might try getting a snake wrangler , most are happy to remove the snakes to get them instead of killing them .They can be milked for the antivenom to save someones life,maybe yours or mine.Try this site as its all about snakes;kingsnake.com. Also inquire about rattlesnake roundups in your area ,those fellas will clear them out too. This way you don't have to deal with them at all ,of course its always fun to play with pit vipers and gasoline !Good Luck

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse

IF you do go in the cave DONT do likeTom on Gold Fever and take a Coleman lantern in there whether you do the gasoline deal or not,there can be methane gas in there which is the same as natural gas that people heat their homes with- big boom. Methate will leach out at different rates according to barometric pressure -less or falling pressure lets it "flow" out more easily. So one day it can be clear and the next it can be loaded up with it. The coal mine in WV that blew up was from a sealed up unventilated tunnel full of methane set off by lightning hitting an old vent shaft .BE Safe

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Snakes have nervous systems, feel pain, are living creatures here for a reason. You are interfering in their existence. Just because they have rattles doesn't make them worthy of a horrific gasolene bath. Please use a more humane solution. Removal during the winter should not be a problem.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Bobinsd:
I agree with you! ;)
I am in some very remote areas, ..
ALONE! :P
Just Me & Bugs!
Should I have ever been bitten, I'd still be there!
AND! I have been, time after time, literally, within inches of them! :o
They have NEVER BITTEN ... :D
I HAVE NEVER KILLED one of them! :-X
My last very close call was with a Mojave Rattler
These guys are many times more potent that a regular rattlesnake!
He was in the shadows, I had difficulty seeing him even after "Bugs" Alerted to him!
AND That ! was....
After! He allowed both "Bugs" and I to pass within two feet of him! :P
He did stay long enough for me to take a couple of pictures, tho! ;D
I also have a strict rule, as does one of my Partners, who is a A Native American ...
"Never Kill a living thing ... It brings on BAD KARMA!"

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Roadquest said:
When you do get the smakes out. Check the writing on the walls.
if you can get pics of it, post it. I saw something like that in a cave in
Southwest Va a long time ago, was going to go back and check it,
But never did.
Roadquest

Where in VA??? I'll go check out the cave!!!

T

texva

I BELIEVE HE IS REFERRING TO A FEW CAVES IN MYY AREA OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA DICKENSON AND WISE COUNTYS I KNOW WHERE A COUPLE OF CAVES ARE MAYBE THE SAME ONES BUT HAVE YET TO VENTURE TO FAR INSIDE

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cptbil said:
I also have a strict rule, as does one of my Partners, who is a A Native American ...
"Never Kill a living thing ... It brings on BAD KARMA!"

Unless that living thing happens to be trespassing on cptbil's land ;D

P

peg legged

Make a pressure gun using FREON and spray EVERWHERE. The FREON will kill all the snakes and will reduce the temp by quite a bit. When a snake gets cold they slow way down.

P

peg legged

Do not worry about the snakes worry about the NITRO in the walls. Miners used to burry their dynamite in the walls at the entrance. Look at boh sides of the walls before entering. If here is a shinny spot on the walls ANYWHERE this is NITRO.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

peg legged said:
Make a pressure gun using FREON and spray EVERWHERE. The FREON will kill all the snakes and will reduce the temp by quite a bit. When a snake gets cold they slow way down.

Crikey! Do you know what freon costs these days, now that it is no longer used in new AC systems? I think it's about $80/lb!!! That would be one expensive spray job, not to mention you could get the feds on your case for releasing freon into the atmosphere--the reason it is no longer used.

C

Chris Whewell

SCIINDUS said:
HELLO ALL, I NEED SOME ADVICE. I HAVE FOUND A CAVE WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABOUT 10 FT AND IT HAS ANOTHER CAVE OFF TO THE RIGHT. THE CAVE IS ABOUT 8FT TALL.SOME WRITING ON THE WALLS, DIDNT STAY LONG FULL OF RATTLESNAKES. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SNAKE SO I CAN SEARCH IT.
THANKS

What state are you in ?

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

geez what a excited morbid bunch lol :D

1st of all, think about the cave and what damage your potentially going to do to any signs or markings what ever in it, last thing you want to do is kill all the snakes and blow your chances of finding any clues.

If snakes are such a major problem then wait till winter or get a snake wrangler which have been said before. Smoke bombs, flares, gas, etc will just give you another problem ::) ;)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only problem with getting a snake wrangler, is that you will have to show somebody else the location of the cave. If there is potentially a cache or vein there, I wouldn't recommend it.

Hammers idea is the best. Get a common garden sprayer at Home Depot, fill it with gasoline, pump it up, and spray away.

And like Tayopa said, "DON'T SMOKE!" If you have a metal watch, take it off. Anything that could cause a spark, leave it outside.

Mike

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

How about just going down to the local nursery and buying a "Gopher Smoke Bomb" !
It looks like a small stick of dynamite... If I remember right, they come in a pack of three!
You light it, toss it way back in, behind the snakes and stand back!
The Smoke Bomb burns and creates clouds of sulfer ! :'(
That'll drive anybody out!
A lot safer than using gasoline!
Remember!... a gallon of gasoline, has the explosive power of 144 sticks of dynamite! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread