cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Re: DANGERS IN CAVES

AH! YES! ;D
BUT!
Remember!
That Gasoline fumes destroy brain cells!
AND!
:( I don't know about you guys! ???
But I don't have that many left......! :'(
You'll go in that cave with an IQ of 100 and come out with one of 70 !
Lose 10 more points and you'll forget how to tie your shoes! ::)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=cptbil Gasoline fumes[/u] destroy brain cells
Geeze that explains my problem Capt, I have been involved with intrenal combustion engines most of my life, automobiles and flying sheeeesh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lose 10 more points and you'll forget how to tie your shoes! ::)
I did notice that they are loose more often lately Bill snifff.

Tropical Tramp

O

OKIE

As far as snakes go tow thing work on the a gerass rope , " a snake willNOT cross over gerss rope, atnd # 2 is u can smome them out or us a vibration system...
I just a Red neck so what do i know , mayme one of these will work or help u ...
hope ist helps. u buddy
ray

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005

Sounds to me like you are in a sandstone shelter with not much cold airflow. Snakes in my locale do not den in limestone caves with airflow. They will fall into a pit from time to time or crawl into the dead leaves near a limestone cave entrance.

Have you went back yet, and if so, what did you do about the snake problem?

Thanks,
Cavers5

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado

MiddenMonster said:
SCIINDUS said:
HELLO ALL, I NEED SOME ADVICE. I HAVE FOUND A CAVE WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABOUT 10 FT AND IT HAS ANOTHER CAVE OFF TO THE RIGHT. THE CAVE IS ABOUT 8FT TALL.SOME WRITING ON THE WALLS, DIDNT STAY LONG FULL OF RATTLESNAKES. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SNAKE SO I CAN SEARCH IT.

Snake loop. Catch `em. Bag `em. Eat `em. How many snakes are there? Most predators live near the food, so you probably won't find them too far past the cave opening unless there are mice, rats or other food sources that live deeper in the cave. And those food sources won't live where they can't find food. If you find them deep in the cave there is probably another entrance or entrances connecting with the cave opening you see. It's bats I'd be worried about. Bat guano is very toxic, and they are known to carry rabies. But getting bit by a rabid bat is still better than getting bit by a vampire bat and becoming one of the undead, forced to wander the earth for eternity, feeding on your friends and terrorizing small villages. Not to mention that you have to build your own coffin to sleep in. And it seems like every yahoo around these days has a wooden stake.

If there are bats in the cave they don't have to bite you to get rabies. Breathing the air is all you have to do to get it.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you should wear some good armor and just walk right by all the snakes. Go to a renaissance place and buy a good bit of body protection. That way you are not harming the snakes and they cannot bite you. Wear some old Spanish plate and that way if anyone happens to see you they will think you are a disturbed spirit or ghost. :D

Good Luck

DanB

Oct 23, 2007

I like to clear snakes and or what ever flies in the caves or mines with mi little BLOW TORCH / FLAME THROWER, This all ways does the trick, all you need is a back pack , a propane tank, a BBQ igniter and a 6' 3/4 " pipe fitted with a multi- mister tip screwed at the end, use a connector hose from the tank and pipe, with a on off valved into the end, twist click and wallah instant BBQ terminator style, also helps you see in the dark, also a great way to get rid of bugs, have fun HA HA HE HE PHOOOOOOOFFFFF!!!!!!

DB

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scott (Mid-Mich) said:
I think you should wear some good armor and just walk right by all the snakes. Go to a renaissance place and buy a good bit of body protection. That way you are not harming the snakes and they cannot bite you. Wear some old Spanish plate and that way if anyone happens to see you they will think you are a disturbed spirit or ghost. :D

Good Luck

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Armor? That's a joke, right? I mean, you would seriously consider lugging armor through the desert, just to wear in a cave? Sorry. Been going in caves for quite a while, and never needed any armor.

Guns aren't much good in a cave either. Ricochets will get you.

Kerosene or propane torches are best. I like propane because it cooks the snakes without the nasty aftertaste kerosene leaves. ;D ;D ;D

Mike

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX

THEY SHOULDNT BOTHER YOU THAT MUCH,LOL.JUST DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS WHERE YOU CANT SEE THEM.CAVE WHAT WHERE I'M THERE,LOL.HAVE YOU BEEN FINDING INDIAN ARTIFACTS?FRONT OF CAVE WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO DIG.THE NEXT BIG ROOM YOU SHOULD DIG IN ALSO.I SCORED SO MUCH ARTIFACTS IN A CAVE IT WAS AWESOME.GOOD LUCK.HERES A COUPLE THINGS FROM THE FEW HOURS WE GOT TO DIG IN A CAVE.THEN THEY SOLD THE PROPERTY,DAMN THE LUCK.

Attachments

• angostura%20knife%20pr011_7869_small.jpg
    angostura%20knife%20pr011_7869_small.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 5,508
  • totall41.jpg
    totall41.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5,545
  • totall175.jpg
    totall175.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 5,476

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2

Nuke em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure......

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX

OKIE said:
As far as snakes go tow thing work on the a gerass rope , " a snake willNOT cross over gerss rope, atnd # 2 is u can smome them out or us a vibration system...
I just a Red neck so what do i know , mayme one of these will work or help u ...
hope ist helps. u buddy
ray
i thought that vibration thing worked but it dont.working in the oilfield the ground vibrates lots even in my trailer.but we see plenty vipers close to engines ect.gotta watch your fingers,never heard of the gerss rope maybe i'm not fully a redneck,lol.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

The rope referred to is made of mane and tail horse hair.
An old cowboy story that doesn't always work either.

The story goes that when you bed down at night put the rope in a circle around the bedroll. snakes willnot cross it as they supposedly find the hair irritating to their underside.

OD

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Something to always remember, there is no treasure ... not one! that is worth your life or the life of your partner. Snakes can be eliminated. there are times of the year when round-ups are held. as stated earlier, those guys are money in the bank and can be sold by the pound. but they are even more in demand to venom conservatories where they are milked and will end up saving lives. Check around where you are and see about making some extra cash catching and selling the snakes.

Old Dog

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dog said:
Something to always remember, there is no treasure ... not one! that is worth your life or the life of your partner. Snakes can be eliminated. there are times of the year when round-ups are held. as stated earlier, those guys are money in the bank and can be sold by the pound. but they are even more in demand to venom conservatories where they are milked and will end up saving lives. Check around where you are and see about making some extra cash catching and selling the snakes.

Old Dog

Definitely not my life.........but my partners? I guess maybe that depends on how big the treasure is, and how I feel about my partner at the time. ;D ;D ;D

Mike

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
I don't know if it will work,

I may be WAY off on this.

However, I personally, Would Throw a Few Road Flares? in.
Preferably Behind them.

& hope it would Burn enough of the Oxygen Out that they would Either Sufficate or Leave the Cave for air.

But, That's Just because I like to (PLAY)?experiment ;D

Of course the trick would be to keep them out long enough for air to re-enter & you to Explore & Come back out :-\
some caves give off gasses

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a cave that gives off gasses! :P :P :P

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread