Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorist Day Before Christmas: Dog Tax Tag, Token, and V Nickel Fun

The day before Christmas and all through the park, not a creature was stirring, except…….an old fart.

With a detector in hand and hope in his mind, the detectorist had visions of uncovering a find.

The children emerged from their houses to see, the old man digging a hole next to the street seem.

When out of the lawn there arose such a beep, that the children saw the old fart jump to his feet.

Okay, I can’t rhyme anymore, but I did find a couple of keepers today on Christmas Eve. The kids were following me around again and they must have been good luck. I was able to find an 1896 V nickel, an old “Good For 12 ½ In Trade” token, and a 1920 “Dog Tax” tag.

It was great finding the items. Now I will get to enjoy researching them in order to find out more about their history. This is a great hobby! If you have any insights about the token, please let me know. Thank you for reading and Happy Holidays!

start 1.png Start 2.png 3.png

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Rodo. Those are things I like to find also. Cant beat the tokens & old Dog Tax Tags.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've started collecting dog tags that one is very nice tokens are cool also.Thanks for sharing and the wonderful poem Merry Christmas

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent rhyming and hunt
There are 8 bits to a dollar,, 2 bits equal a quarter,, soooo ,, you found a one bit token
Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! I like your version of "A Detectorist day before Christmas".

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great token, are you able to find out where it came from? Your poem was funny too! (PS: if you are under 50, you are not yet an old fart.) Sub8-)

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! The token has been attributed to Johnson Addition, Arizona which is near Lowell per Spooner's AZ Trade Tokens book, but he gives no directory references for the attribution. He says 1906-07.

And, BTW, Against The Wind, there are eight bits, not twelve, to a dollar, 12½¢ each.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
R

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, I like your title for this post better! It has been changed. Thank you.

OP
OP
R

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idahotokens: Thank you for the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions