detector only for gold

Rifrik

Greenie
Sep 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
JeoHunter 3D Dual System
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can some of you tell me if there is a gold detector that does not signal any other metal such as aluminum, steel, copper and bronze?
I have to discover a little box containing gold jewelry buried in the walls of an old house. Water and electrical pipes are made of aluminum, copper and steel, they disturb the research of most of the professional metal detector. thank you

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can some of you tell me if there is a gold detector that does not signal any other metal such as aluminum, steel, copper and bronze?
I have to discover a little box containing gold jewelry buried in the walls of an old house. Water and electrical pipes are made of aluminum, copper and steel, they disturb the research of most of the professional metal detector. thank you

The answer is no, there is no detector that will only respond to gold...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Golden Sabre has a dual notch system that has 2 modes accept and reject. Set up 1st disc with a gold ring and turn up till it disappears,then turn back down till a solid DOUBLE HIT ,-then flip the switch to notch and flip to accept and tune the unit to the strongest signal you can get with that ring both ways. Gold accept only will work but you will have chatter from pipes etc BUT just test that ring and listen for that sound only as all others will make a different sound. The old school BIG box GS works much better than the new tiny new ones. OR get a ol'school TR detector and DETUNE,reverse disc procedure, to accept ferrous metals only and you'll remove the iron anyhow and again signal sound will save the day. When you get a hit with a tr use the heel and toe of the coil for even better definition... Lots of luck as inside houses is tough but doable. You can use mine for free if in Northern Kalif as not in use at this time as other projects ahead-John

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting project. My first thought was - jewelry contains more than gold (eg. copper). Also, what you are looking for might be in a tin box. There are detectors with notch discrimination, so it reads but does not report on certain kinds of targets.

That said, if I were to give the search a go (and it does sound like fun), I would use the smallest coil that I could find and then try detecting the walls slowly, looking for something that gives me a big "bang" in an unusual spot. I would discriminate out iron (only) to try to avoid nails and screws. Wires behind the wall should be obvious, as they run in a line. Pipes and heat vents will do the same. Unfortunately, you will probably be out of luck if the box is next to one of these kind of things. If fact, if the place has forced air heating, the first thing I would do is reach as far as I can into every vent to see if I could feel a box (I am saying this for personal reasons - when I was a kid, I hid a box of silver dollars this way and only remembered them years after we moved away). The other place I would check is under the roof insulation near the access hole. The odds are higher of the hidden object being in the wall of a closet, than the middle of the room. Basements, if there is one, have lots of "hidie" holes, especially around the floor joists.

OP
OP
R

Rifrik

Greenie
Sep 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
JeoHunter 3D Dual System
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you

Top Member Reactions