Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my F75, congrats. I didnt read all the post, was wondering if you had mentioned somewhere what your settings were on the F75, and how deep it pulled the real out of the ground? Thanks.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAY TO GO BUCKAROO!!!!! :hello2: When I read your title "Best in 20 years", and saw the picture of Diggergirl in the first picture, I thought you were talking about her. LOL Congrats on your well deserved BANNER big guy. That is one unusual and rare find. Those cane fields have been brutal but good to you.
Didn't I tell you in your last post that I predicted a reale? :thumbsup: Let me know if you need the lottery numbers.
Looking forward to your next hunt, and as usual THANKS for the great videos!
-MM-

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAY TO GO BUCKAROO!!!!! :hello2: When I read your title "Best in 20 years", and saw the picture of Diggergirl in the first picture, I thought you were talking about her. LOL Congrats on your well deserved BANNER big guy. That is one unusual and rare find. Those cane fields have been brutal but good to you.
Didn't I tell you in your last post that I predicted a reale? :thumbsup: Let me know if you need the lottery numbers.
-MM-

I remember your prediction Doug. You little prognosticator you! Now if you had only predicted "reales" instead of "a reale" I would have been even more blown away. (1/4 x 8R=2R). LOL

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is Wow. Amazing find BB.:notworthy: Your heart must have been racing when you dug that... and then seeing the counterstamp it probably raced even faster. Congratulations on making the banner. Very well deserved. :thumbsup: You've inspired me. I'm going out detecting right now.... I don't care if its 1130 pm...:laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 4th Banner BB!!! You work very hard for the relics and coins you recover. Members of Tnet have no idea of the rigors of hunting in the LA summer. As I have stated many times, the Canefield Bandits deserve every coin & relic they recover. HH, Q.

Quindy,

I really appreciate your help and friendship through the years. You know how Louisiana is--and can speculate how it is here during the summertime. Quite a pain, but at least we can hunt year-round if we're careful about it. Again, I appreciate the friendship and inspiration. You almost always bring home relics, and aren't upset when you (rarely) don't. That is the type of attitude that makes for the most successful hunting. You and I both know that two of the most important things in this hobby are to Hunt Hard and Keep an Open Mind.

Thanks again, my friend.

-BB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I always know when I see you posting something, it's gonna be good.

It's hard to edit up a video and take the time to make a post unless I have something decent to show. I mean, if we don't post in a week or two then everyone can assume we are getting skunked. Because rest assured we Are hunting. :D

Thanks so much for your post my friend. I appreciate you taking a moment to say hello.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant...you got me psyched up for tomorrow!

I know what it takes to get you and "The Patch" psyched up, so I'll take that as a compliment! :)

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! If anybody deserves a find like that you do! By the way, in your video, was expecting a southern accent, but you have none. Where you from? Also, when you were quoting prices on a PB counterstamped Reale, I thought those prices were for an uncut specimen. Then reading about the one found in Mississippi I was surprised they fetch that kind of dough even being cut. A truly awesome find!

Evidently, they were originally cut that way by the bank. I try not to over-play my hand unless there are some aces in it...but in this case--bullets! :D

I can sound like pretty much anything, from West Virginia and Virginia to the Northeast, to TN and KY, and Cajun Louisianan. I like to try to master different accents, and pride myself on not having an accent that betrays where I'm really from. ;)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my F75, congrats. I didnt read all the post, was wondering if you had mentioned somewhere what your settings were on the F75, and how deep it pulled the real out of the ground? Thanks.

I always hunt with 3 tones, a discrimination setting of 6, and the sensitivity as high as it can go without falsing. Sometimes I go 2 tone 0 disc, or all metal motion but I prefer 3 tones.

The coin was about 4 inches deep and it sang out with the most sweet tone I've hear since I dug my most recent Seated Half.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-MM-

Yes, they can be brutal in that heat. Sometimes I have to work hard, but in this case I had made this find within 2 hours on the site. Wish all my days were like that, I could go home before breakfast. :D

Hey man, thanks for watching the vid. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, you were right about the Real! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We just *might* break 20 spanish for the year! But this surely will be the best. I can't see us beating this unless one of us digs spanish GOLD.

I'll take the lottery numbers now. But please PM me rather than post them. :D

Best Wishes,

Buckmeister

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is Wow. Amazing find BB.:notworthy: Your heart must have been racing when you dug that... and then seeing the counterstamp it probably raced even faster. Congratulations on making the banner. Very well deserved. :thumbsup: You've inspired me. I'm going out detecting right now.... I don't care if its 1130 pm...:laughing7:

I've dug before when I couldn't get away during the day, and the owner was ok with me being out at night. No telling what can be found when... and it's really cool to FEEL the find in your hand before you turn the flashlight on to SEE what it is!

Best Wishes,

Buck

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, That a phenomenal recovery! Congrats!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always hunt with 3 tones, a discrimination setting of 6, and the sensitivity as high as it can go without falsing. Sometimes I go 2 tone 0 disc, or all metal motion but I prefer 3 tones.

The coin was about 4 inches deep and it sang out with the most sweet tone I've hear since I dug my most recent Seated Half.

Cheers,

Buck
Thats what I needed to know. I run pretty much the same. Cant run all metal in town, but it does good in the bush. Thank you for sharing.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal man! Congrats!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Fantastic Find!!!

:occasion14:

That is a real beauty, and a coin that certainly had your name on it!

Wait a minute, I think it actually does have you name on it? That's not a PB for Planter's Bank, but rather a BB for BuckleBoy!!! :laughing7:

CC Hunter

Attachments

• BuckleBoy Coin.JPG
    BuckleBoy Coin.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 169

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved Banner Will with a fantastic find :notworthy: I was wondering if you will clean the cut silver.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess $3,000-$4,000.

Based on the clarity of the stamp I was going to guess $3000, that is easily $1000 better than any coin I've ever found. I've only had 2 finds valued in that range, one was a 'unique to date' find & the other the gold ring I got the banner for. Both are lifetime finds, so you must be really pleased. So whats going on your top 5 list to replace it?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !! any idea on the mint date of the cut 8 reale? Jim

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved Banner Will with a fantastic find :notworthy: I was wondering if you will clean the cut silver.

SS

I think there is everything to gain by doing that. You recommend a brief lemon juice bath?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread