BuckleBoy
Platinum Member
- Joined
- Jun 12, 2006
- Messages
- 18,159
- Reaction score
- 9,723
- Golden Thread
- 4
- Location
- Moonlight and Magnolias
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 4
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!
Hello All,
I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress!
Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.
At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.
Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183
Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.
Parts of three solid silver spoons:



1890 IH was a nice surprise:


Nice 1913 Barber Dime


And the cut 8Reales:



The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?
All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron.

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.
Best Wishes,
Buck
Hello All,
I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress!

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.
At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.
Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183
Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.
Parts of three solid silver spoons:



1890 IH was a nice surprise:


Nice 1913 Barber Dime



And the cut 8Reales:



The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?
All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron.


It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.
Best Wishes,
Buck
Last edited:
Upvote
140
When I read your title "Best in 20 years", and saw the picture of Diggergirl in the first picture, I thought you were talking about her. LOL Congrats on your well deserved BANNER big guy. That is one unusual and rare find. Those cane fields have been brutal but good to you.
Your heart must have been racing when you dug that... and then seeing the counterstamp it probably raced even faster. Congratulations on making the banner. Very well deserved. 









