What's new

E. Tennessee Quartz

tncreeker

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
329
Reaction score
114
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally allowed to venture out on my own. So I drove to TN for the day. Found at the high water mark at a lake/large pond. Lots of debitage, flint and quartz. The point is like a needle, sides are super sharp, but it seems thick for a point. Maybe not finished? Or is it as was intended? Dont know much about quartz. Any info is always greatly appreciated by you guys.
Lori
 

Attachments

  • 2014-12-14 12.08.55.webp
    2014-12-14 12.08.55.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 2014-12-14 12.09.33.webp
    2014-12-14 12.09.33.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 2014-12-14 12.10.48.webp
    2014-12-14 12.10.48.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
I like that color! Nice find.
 
Very nice, many of my Quartz pieces are thick as well. Quartz must be harder to thin than quality flint. Looks complete to me, the last pic shows a few stacks that wouldn't go away probably leading to the thick profile. Great color, thanks for the view.
 
Nice quartzite point glad somebody found 1 whole.
 
Thanx guys,,I thought it was a pretty rock too. Glad to know that maybe it is finished, just thick. It made the hour long drive worth the trip. Wish I could find places closer to here.
 
Definitely a finished point; it's a Savannah River spear head. From the Late Archaic period (2500-5000 years ago). Very nice!
 
It's a nice stem point for sure.... Likely used with an atlatl.
 
Nice point with great color!
 
Lots of quartz because it sounds like you were in the gold section of Tn. I also like the color. That quartz will make a frame really shine.
HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom