What's new

Fifteen wheat pennies all in the same yard!! no silvers??????? ACE 350

brandonsmith

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Messages
67
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found fifteen wheat pennies in my front yard, all ranging from 4 to 10 inches. I have also found other things, some really nice finds and some trash. My question is, where are the silver coins? It seems to me that finding this many wheat pennies, oldest one being 1910, that there would be some silver coins. Any thoughts on this? Are they being masked by trash, too deep, or just not here? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
 
I've found wheats in my yard lots of modern no silver sometimes it's just not there .

Have you found silver elsewhere?
 
I've found wheats in my yard lots of modern no silver sometimes it's just not there .

Have you found silver elsewhere?

No silver coins, i did find a mens bracelet in my yard though. It was sterling silver and weighed a little over 1.5oz.
 
I have a 350 and have found silver from 1/2" to 8+" , 1 half, 1 quarter, 1 buffalo nickel & 8 dimes.....just eliminating the detector so I guess in your case there's no silver there or being masked.....I did buy the Sniper Coil and it pulled 2 silver dimes and a bunch of clad for me in a trashy area, I love that thing for trashy areas.
 
I have a 350 and have found silver from 1/2" to 8+" , 1 half, 1 quarter, 1 buffalo nickel & 8 dimes.....just eliminating the detector so I guess in your case there's no silver there or being masked.....I did buy the Sniper Coil and it pulled 2 silver dimes and a bunch of clad for me in a trashy area, I love that thing for trashy areas.

Yeah i wasn't really doubting the ACE350, and i have the 5x8 coil, which does well in trashy areas. I haven't even used the regular coil since putting the smaller one on. Guess the silver coins just aren't here. Ill keep looking to be sure though.
 
Pennies were harder to spot when someone dropped them in the grass. A long time ago in some areas, if dime or quarter was dropped or lost, the whole family would probably spend an afternoon out there looking for it, especially during the depression years.

If this is your front yard that you own, I would just dig every target. There may be a silver dime hiding below that pull tab and iron nails, cause we all know silver likes to hide deep :tongue3:
 
All pennies may indicate lost by kids, perhaps during active play. Sometimes it needs to be a place where adults spend time, a park or school with vending machines or concession stand. Some place where people would be carrying money. Another type of place like this would be a county fairgrounds. Also tourist camps.

As for your yard, there might be places where an adult lost a coin, maybe a silver one. Like near the driveway or house door, a coin may have fallen out of a pocket when pulling out keys. If there was ever a outdoor clothesline, coins may fall out of pockets. Maybe people walked on your lawn next to the street, or sidewalk. Best wishes, George (MN)
 
Great advice, Thanks George.
 
I have 2 places I hunted the heck out of with an ACE 250 and an Etrac. Found many wheaties but no silver. It stinks! lol
 
I'm with you those Aces can pull out any coin 3~8" my guess the Silver is just not there..I'm not having any luck with Silver this year myself...Keep us posted if you do find some but, like the previous posts .... Better chances at more of older public activity locations...
I'm going to try a school built around the 1940's in my area.. So hopefully some coins will turn up.
I have the Ace 350 and have found like you countless pennies and dimes & a few along my share of pull tabs & bottle caps.. So my luck has to change for the best.
HH
 
I've had that happen to me before, I found 21 wheats and no silver. One day I went after school and I found a 1959 half dollar. But then again, you can only find what has been lost. They might not have dropped any silver there.
 
The other reason being that many yards have been hunted in the past, even those that the long-time homeowner says that "it's never been hunted AFIK."
 
I would say maybe adjust your discrim too. To find that much other and no nickels, dimes or quarters is possible but it may be that the detecter isnt picking them up too. Have you gone elsewhere and had similar issues? The reason i ask all this is because i had a couple BH detectors and at 5 places i found tons of pennies and a couple clad quartes close to or on top of the surface. I buy my whites mxt pro and my detector goes nuts on dimes nickels and deep too! I was blown away at zero signal from the BH and not finding nickels and dimes.

Just a thought, might not be any silver... but 13 wheaties and none.... just imagine what "could" be in there!
JMB
 
I would say maybe adjust your discrim too. To find that much other and no nickels, dimes or quarters is possible but it may be that the detecter isnt picking them up too. Have you gone elsewhere and had similar issues? The reason i ask all this is because i had a couple BH detectors and at 5 places i found tons of pennies and a couple clad quartes close to or on top of the surface. I buy my whites mxt pro and my detector goes nuts on dimes nickels and deep too! I was blown away at zero signal from the BH and not finding nickels and dimes.

Just a thought, might not be any silver... but 13 wheaties and none.... just imagine what "could" be in there!
JMB

I have found other coins, sorry for not mentioning that. Just clad though, and not a whole lot of it. I haven't been back out lately, but i plan on going over it again with a lot less discrimination and dig everything.
 
Try this Brandon: Go real slow. Low discrimination, high sensitivity. Overlap your swings. Try to grid an area if possible. Dig even the "iffy" signals. Go back over the yard a few different times, possibly when the ground is damp or from a different direction. Sometimes silver can be elusive.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom