Fisher 1280x VS Tesoro Tiger Shark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a moot point anyway. I made my purchase, now I'll learn my detector.
You got that much right. You pays your money, you makes your choices. Sound like it was easy for you, anyway, since your mind was made up from the beginning.
Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Sound like it was easy for you, anyway, since your mind was made up from the beginning.

I have no idea where you got that from. If it was made up, I wouldn't have posted the topic to begin with.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea where you got that from. If it was made up, I wouldn't have posted the topic to begin with.
It doesn't matter. I'm certain you and the Tiger Shark will get along famously.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Is the ground knob supposed to turn freely? I just got it in... it doesn't even turn on. Brand new batteries. I guess I'll have to return it. I was all excited this morning cause it was coming in, and all I have is another detector that doesn't work. I guess I'm not destined to water hunt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First open it up and carefully make sure the batteries are in the holder right. Check that the holder's contacts align with the ones inside. Ya just can't insert it anyway. Maybe the volume knob inside is turned down to low, or the headphones are dead. You should hear a threshold if and ONLY if in ALL METAL. If you still get no sound when you pass a coin over it you have a problem. Where did you buy it and was it bought new? The GB knob should have some resistance to it but mostly it shouldn't spin. Another reason to try to buy it from a dealer with a store front so they can assemble it and test it like any good dealer will. If you got it from the Big K, call them and ask for KELLYCO GIRL or CHICK. She will make it right and tell us about it.......

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Nope, bought it off ebay. Now I have to listen to Dan's "I told you so" mantra. :'(

I emailed the seller and let him know it looks like on of the battery connectors came off during shipping. There's only one in the bottom where the batteries go. It's an old unit, coil is not hardwired, etc. I also emailed Tesoro to see how much a repair usually runs, depending on the price and time it will take, I might just pay for repairs and to have a new coil hardwired. (The end connector on the coil just doesn't look waterproof to me.) If not, it's going back to the seller Monday, so I can get my money back.

I'll probably end up driving to Plainwell to get a new one, before I leave on the 8th. I would have done that in the first place, but my car needs new bearings and tires, and I didn't want to take the chance of breaking down.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jadeblackhawk said:
Nope, bought it off ebay. Now I have to listen to Dan's "I told you so" mantra. :'(

I emailed the seller and let him know it looks like on of the battery connectors came off during shipping. There's only one in the bottom where the batteries go. It's an old unit, coil is not hardwired, etc. I also emailed Tesoro to see how much a repair usually runs, depending on the price and time it will take, I might just pay for repairs and to have a new coil hardwired. (The end connector on the coil just doesn't look waterproof to me.) If not, it's going back to the seller Monday, so I can get my money back.

I'll probably end up driving to Plainwell to get a new one, before I leave on the 8th. I would have done that in the first place, but my car needs new bearings and tires, and I didn't want to take the chance of breaking down.
The hardwired coil is a new thing - the old ones were interchangeable. Ive never had a problem with my connector and have never heard of anyone that did. I would reconsider the hardwired coil, as you give up options if you hardwire. I prefer having options, whenever possible.
The battery connector should be an easy fix, but at any rate you are better off sending it to Tesoro. And because it's Tesoro, you may end up paying nothing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even bother getting any money back from the seller till you know what Tesoro says. If they have to change the coil it will then be hardwired, no getting around that sadly. At least Tesoro will fix whats not working and check it out before they send it back. It won't take all summer either..... :coffee2:

Good Luck,
Sandman

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Don't even bother getting any money back from the seller till you know what Tesoro says. If they have to change the coil it will then be hardwired, no getting around that sadly. At least Tesoro will fix whats not working and check it out before they send it back. It won't take all summer either..... :coffee2:

Good Luck,
Sandman
Ya ..Janeblackh.... Sandman is right send it to Tesoro they will make it like new if they can and they probably can............ And they are fast on the turn around and will not charge you a arm & leg ............ When you get it back from Tesoro it will be like a new detector................ I quit buying used detectors off ebay ..... I got burnt to many times....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread