Folks I think I?ve had it really, America as we knew it gone, I?d like to pack it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at Texas as a possibility. Used to be there was plenty of work opportunities there, and the state is big enough that you can pick the climate that you would like best.

I'm from Eastern/Northeastern Ohio. I get the weather thing, but there are plenty of jobs right now.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate all responses, winters just to dam long fellas, as you all no when you get older that sucks, you see I’m not couch potato or tv person so I appreciate the outside, I don’t require beach , but a hour from would be nice anything from North Carolina on down to Florida sounds appealing. I’m lucking up till now no health operations, need to go to eye doctor starting to see floaters , I currently don’t wear glasses. Oh hell anyway that’s the story, I’m single, no kids so that’s the deal.

Hola Amigo

Well what ever decision you come to you will not be impeding of the lives of other family members. So in that respect you have nothing to lose. However I suggest a long term plan to make sure where you end up in view of one day age and health might factor in not being able to work at all?

I do not know of your financial situation in regards to owning or renting. Each one can have problems but renting in old age is dam site harder still especially if you need to work to pay the rent. I think you should factor those things in in whatever decision to make.

Kanacki

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are plenty of jobs everywhere. But we would want one fairly close to where we live (I knew a guy who took a train 100 miles each way every day), really, anyway, also it better be a $25 per hour job at least, good medical benefits, etc., and in a place the rents are not horrible. Forget a city anymore due to crime. It will take awhile to do the math and for goodness sake VISIT the area a couple times first.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn?t political folks first of all. Unless you are a fortunate one or sun most are not. Point is western Pennsylvania used to be a nicer place late 60s early 70s, job wise it was here, Sharon steel, Westinghouse, General Motors, Delphi in Ohio. All gone or a fraction of there old self, to be truth most plants are gone. Point making I?m tired of living around here, not trying to run from anything other than these dead end jobs and the disgusting human beings that are pathetic. Where to go I?m asking you being in late 50s I prefer warmer weather not necessarily Florida, being no pension I must work until I?m dead, but being that confirmed I want to enjoy the time I have in a more pleasant environment if you no what I mean, I?m rather work and struggle at a tiki bar than meltdown here, anyone have any reasonable places or advice. I?m in good health but yeah I?ve had enough folks my family are passed on so you get my drift, thanks for reading peace of mind is priceless it?s not about material things chasing false narratives, god bless

I have been thinking about the same thing here in western ny.....been watching it die around me most of my life now. I was thinking montana if i could find a job out there somewhere.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural garbage. Hurricanes, most lightning strikes of any state in the US, tornados to go with the hurricanes, and a lot more venomous snakes and nasty insects than western PA. Oppressive heat in the summer with the humidity to go with it. Alligators to chomp you. Many more than in western PA.

You mean all those things that keep the undesirables out?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved back to Florida because I just got tired of shoveling snow off driveway, deck and roof of house, was really tied of the ice storms too. I would go home to Florida for Christmas and run around in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops then when I drove back home I would have to shovel 40 foot of snow in driveway just to get the car in the driveway to unload the car. Midwest had lot of ice storms, especially Missouri, too many times going down the highway backwards or in a spin because of hitting the ice.

Ice storms are the worst. But I truly enjoy shoveling snow. I really don't mind doing it for hour after hour, just pacing myself. And it allows me to buy specialized snow shovels - some for the heavy, wet snow, some for the powdery fluff, some ergonomic, some not, and the pusher shovels with different angles. I don't want help shoveling and would prefer the wifey stays inside rather than come out and bang my shovels, causing the corners to curl and the bottom edge to bend. It is stressful to me to see my tools abused and then have to repair them. I find shoveling alone to be relaxing and therapeutic. Retired for four years, its not like I have to shovel to go anywhere...When I finish with my own driveway, I walk over and shovel someone else's and make sure the mail and newspaper deliveries are accessible.

Unable to handle the heat, I'd move to Maine in a heartbeat, but the reality is that we would never leave the vicinity of our grandchild and hopefully, more to come.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No place is perfect, gotta try to find contentment where you need to be.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This isn?t political folks first of all. Unless you are a fortunate one or sun most are not. Point is western Pennsylvania used to be a nicer place late 60s early 70s, job wise it was here, Sharon steel, Westinghouse, General Motors, Delphi in Ohio. All gone or a fraction of there old self, to be truth most plants are gone. Point making I?m tired of living around here, not trying to run from anything other than these dead end jobs and the disgusting human beings that are pathetic. Where to go I?m asking you being in late 50s I prefer warmer weather not necessarily Florida, being no pension I must work until I?m dead, but being that confirmed I want to enjoy the time I have in a more pleasant environment if you no what I mean, I?m rather work and struggle at a tiki bar than meltdown here, anyone have any reasonable places or advice. I?m in good health but yeah I?ve had enough folks my family are passed on so you get my drift, thanks for reading peace of mind is priceless it?s not about material things chasing false narratives, god bless

To each thier own...
Too cold , too warm /hot.
San Diego remains the "best" clime I've visited. No , I'm not looking to live there.
Florida? Boy howdy I've certainly been warm there. It is diverse though. A good thing in a state.
Some acquaintances moved down there (our age or older) and are more in the Northern half of the state on what can be called a ranch. And they are delighted.
Neighbors not old enough to retire but not young either returned from visiting the keys and were/are delighted with the area they were in. Looking at homes and work type delighted.
But...Again , to each thier own.

IF you are feeling relocating is a must , travel a bit. Visit states and sites within states.
Clime will matter of course.
At one time I figured (from visiting while traveling repeatedly) Kentucky's temps would suit me. Where in Kentucky would matter though...

Still in my home state. Near a lowest per capita income village in the adjacent county.
Shack at the end of a dirt road.
Land owned 10 miles away to hunt and frog around on.
Perfect? Nope. But I'm not after perfect.

Stopped in a little village I knew in the wee hours on a drive North out of the city I lived in a year , (somehow).
Sat on a bench on a summers night and it reminded me of what my hometown used to be like. (Tiny and quiet. Quaintness not due to a false front.)
Two moves later I'm still in range. Though far enough from numbers of folks.

With age often comes needing medical facilities in range.
More than once I've seen folks thinking they were set , end up moving closer or into a city.
That compromise of sites to choose from fits in with clime and populations and "conveniences" for you too.

Oh , and America is still a great place!
Look for what made us so. It still exists. Sleeves rolled up and dirty hands. If it's harder to find , it's more worth finding.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have a marketable skill set, relocating rarely improves your quality of life. You'll just end up miserable in another state, still working for the man....

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not just a PA thing as most places have seen a big decline in traditional middle class and upper middle class jobs. In my lifetime, per example, back in the 70's almost everyone I knew was getting by on a single family income, with some money to spare, just not the case today. The old definition of middle class income has shifted from a single income to multiple incomes. The traditional middle class opportunities are few and far between these days.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is Rolling Rock, PA?
Ligonier or Latrobe?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice storms are the worst. But I truly enjoy shoveling snow. I really don't mind doing it for hour after hour, just pacing myself. And it allows me to buy specialized snow shovels - some for the heavy, wet snow, some for the powdery fluff, some ergonomic, some not, and the pusher shovels with different angles. I don't want help shoveling and would prefer the wifey stays inside rather than come out and bang my shovels, causing the corners to curl and the bottom edge to bend. It is stressful to me to see my tools abused and then have to repair them. I find shoveling alone to be relaxing and therapeutic. Retired for four years, its not like I have to shovel to go anywhere...When I finish with my own driveway, I walk over and shovel someone else's and make sure the mail and newspaper deliveries are accessible.

Unable to handle the heat, I'd move to Maine in a heartbeat, but the reality is that we would never leave the vicinity of our grandchild and hopefully, more to come.

The most peacfull time for me to shovel snow is in the evening when it's dark, early morning before dawn if I'm up. I like to shovel snow too, the only thing that bothers me is when I'm shoveling a few of my neighbors sidewalks or driveways, in the evening, and they think it's too dark to see, so they turn their lights on. It ruins the peacefulness.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thimes, they are changing, never to be back again. It seems they are getting out of our understanding too. Wherever you will go, you can't escape from yourselfe. Those who can adopt are those who may strieve.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how someone who was in his 20s in 1880 felt when he was in his 60s in 1920. Things keep changing and the pace of change is accelerating. You have to learn to adapt.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Start over. Go to Paris and recreate yourself as an artist. Or maybe Wyoming and become cowboy. Truth is you can recreate your life however you choose. Your life is a book. A good book like a well spent life has many chapters. Avoid stagnation and never ending repetition. Time to change it up.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not just a PA thing as most places have seen a big decline in traditional middle class and upper middle class jobs. In my lifetime, per example, back in the 70's almost everyone I knew was getting by on a single family income, with some money to spare, just not the case today. The old definition of middle class income has shifted from a single income to multiple incomes. The traditional middle class opportunities are few and far between these days.

I agree. It was even more apparent in the 1950's and 60's for relatively unskilled labor to ascend to middle class. It was not necessary then to become an investor to make a living, although some of us started way back then. I opened my first mutual fund at age 10 in 1965 after saving up sufficient small daily profits from my rare coin wholesale business. Back then, there were coin shops all over, and I'd ride my bike delivering coins culled from rolls to them until closing. Today, someone would call the cops if they saw a 10 year old riding from one city to the next at night. I was determined to climb out of poverty and avoid the "poorhouse" about which I heard. My parents were furious to discover my investment statements, and ordered me to close the account, but I knew I was right and just got a PO box for statements to be sent without their knowledge.

We have entered the age of the investor. With only a few exceptions, it is not possible to live on wages. I used to joke that I'd prefer to be paid expenses than a wage. But now retired after investing most income and minimizing living expenses for parts of 6 decades, I open my monthly and quarterly statements and see that my investments earn more each month then I ever dreamed of earning from my labor for a whole year. The trick is to convince people to significantly defer gratification. I love it when some punk salesman looks down on me in my torn jeans, silver beard and long hair as I climb out of my 10 year old truck because I know I could buy the dealership where he works and all its inventory and have plenty of cash left over.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well a pal of mine once said to me. It don't matter were you live . If you have money no matter were you live is a nice place to live.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how someone who was in his 20s in 1880 felt when he was in his 60s in 1920. Things keep changing and the pace of change is accelerating. You have to learn to adapt.

Or try this. Suppose you were born in the 1950's. 5 cent Cokes, no satellites, clear dark skies, no microwave, most cancers you still died of pretty quickly, you know that kind of stuff.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or try this. Suppose you were born in the 1950's. 5 cent Cokes, no satellites, clear dark skies, no microwave, most cancers you still died of pretty quickly, you know that kind of stuff.
1957 here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread