Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a complete wash out, so I didn't have work. SO i figured it would be a great opportunity to try out my new Garret Pro Pointer. Most of the sites here in my neck of the woods still have waaaaay to much snow to detect. But fortunately I found a spot that hardly had any snow on the side of a hill. I"ve been here a few times and didn't do well at all due to all the big iron and tin scraps everywhere. Usually I lose ambition and move on...however today I stuck it out and BOY AM i GLAD I DID! The first 3 hours were pretty slow with only a few relics and a couple buttons....but the last hour was awesome! This site is definitely late 1700's but was lived in up until the early 1900's. Therefore, the amount of trash and junk targets are constantly pestering you. So Half Dollar signals are kind of a sure sign of large iron or something in that nature. But I followed my gut instinct and next to a rock I dug down 6 inches or so and in the plug it was plain as day, SILVER. I thought for sure it was gonna be a Barber or maybe even seated, but then I realized how ungodly huge it was. So I thought Morgan dollar or even Seated, I was wrong...8 REALE!!!!! I am still stunned. I never thought in a million years I'd dig a reale out of this site considering the amount junk I usually dig. I think before this the best targets were a couple colonial buttons and a 1902 Indian. I think I need to take a little more effort here, perhaps theres more amongst the modern junk. Thanks for lookin! :headbang:

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 5,919
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 6,000
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 5,992
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thump7 said:
O.K. come on people. No doubt this is a great find but in 84 post I only read 1 about how come the coin was there to begin with. what existed in north america in the 1700's? the furtrade. The coin could have been dropped in the 18-1900's but when you have other finds that date 1700's it clearly indicates that you are sitting on a mixed site from the late 1700 furtrade era. careful what you throw out could be an artefact. banner banner banner bla bla bla, look at the big picture people not the 10 min of fame.

You need to brush up on your American history there bud!A lot more going on than the Fur Trade.
Also Reales were legal tender up into the middle of the 19th Century,and they was not a lot of other minted coins especially out west,so early Reales show up on a normal basis out here in sites that are much newer than the Reales that come out of them,that is why trying to date a site by the coins you find there isnt very accurate!!

I find 1700 period Reales and other coins all the time,in sites that I know for a fact arent that early

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
nice job Jess! bet you are glad i was sick that day :tongue3:
congrats on the banner! :thumbsup:
Never wish sickness upon anyone, but glad I stuck it out in BarkButtville. :laughing9: I just know, that if you were with me....you would prolly be the one sportin this trophy.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
Hey Sniff, I'm happy for you bud :thumbsup:.
Way cool you stuck it out and dug that awesome piece of history.
Patience Pay's in big ways.
Keep smiling,

HB
Thanks alot HB, you are so right about patience.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
Wonderful, wonderful 8 reales!! Congrats!! :icon_thumleft: I found my 1778 8 reales about ten years ago in the same hole as a 1781 2 reales near a cellar hole here in Mass.

When mine came out of the hole I immediately checked for a hole in the middle because at first I thought I dug some kind of large, industrial washer. :laughing7:

Big congrats, I know how good you're feeling right now. :thumbsup:

HH all!

Greg
WOW! A spanish spill! That must have been a huge rush!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My third time looking at this coin and my 2nd responce . Condradulations on a very BANNER find ! The masons mark makes it even more collectible ! Nice Bonus Sniffy !! :icon_sunny: M.R.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that is just too cool for words!!!!

What a honkin' big chunk of silver, that thing may pull the Banner down.

A true piece of history. Just awesome !!!

Congratulations big time. It's all about having patience and believing that you'll be rewarded for showing it, and you certainly were !!!

Brian in MA

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swung by for a second and am glad I did. What a teriffice coin in good condition found by a nice guy.
It looks great up on that banner bar :icon_sunny:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on that one bud!!! That is one helluva Silver to find starin' back at you from out of the hole!!! :wav: :wav: :occasion14:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on that bomber find! I'd be spending a lot of time in that location from now on!

rock on man.

BANNER!!!!! :hello2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar

mason marks? or chop marks? the wiki link is interesting reading!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a thing of beauty, I found one of his baby's a few weeks back, same year, 1-Real.
I will trade you if you like. Hispan's knowledge of this King is pretty neat, not only was he
a good and wise King, he was a treasure hunter like us.

I have always said this is a noble hobby when done right.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Glad I got back on here (after a dumb winter hiatus) in time to see this spectacular coin!

Enjoy your ride with this one, I can only try to imagine the fun..

[And Thanks to Hispan for several points of great & interesting info. You hang around here, you learn some very cool stuff!]

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That coin's been cleaned.
When, why or how that happened I'll refrain from openly speculating on, but you'll have a hard time getting it into a problem-free slab.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find, hope to get at least one before I hang my detector up on the wall for good!

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan said:
When, why or how that happened I'll refrain from openly speculating on, but you'll have a hard time getting it into a problem-free slab.

Very typical condition for a dug silver coin and it's not like he's sending it to Stacks next week, so there will be no hard times.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Super find, hope to get at least one before I hang my detector up on the wall for good!

Don
I'm sure you will Don. You always come out the gate full bore.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
LSMorgan said:

Very typical condition for a dug silver coin and it's not like he's sending it to Stacks next week, so there will be no hard times.
I think it will be forever "slabbed" in the case in my livingroom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread