GIS map software question.

jadejackal

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2011
Hello,
I already posted over in the maps section of the forum but now I think I am the right spot.
I am working on a project of going around to all the old timers in the county and collecting data on old towns, mines, stage coach stops, homesteads, where houses were, etc. I've got a lot of data right now and I am looking for a way to put in on a map. I have manually marked some maps but this just seems to be the wrong way.
I need software that will let me add my own marks and annotations into it. Then be able to save it as an image file or what ever so I can take it to get printed. Does any body know how to do this or have any guides to do this?
Part of the problem is that I don't know all the terminology.
Thanks.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jade, I use TOPO 4. You can do all the adds you want then print them too, albeit the size of printer paper. Larger would require a print shop. TTC

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I do not know if such programs are available for other functions. But, I am working on my wife's genealogy in rural Mexico. The LDS program, PAF 5.0 has a function which will print out individual pages, and then you lay them on the floor and scotch or transparent tape them together to make a wall chart.

I have done 5 by 4 sheets, and taped is a very large wall chart.

I must wonder if there is a program or utility which will "wall chart" other large print-outs.

If I had time, I would search for this. Busy as a bee, preparing to return to Mexico 20 October.

ChargerGuy

Oct 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArcGIS 3.1 would do the trick and could probably be had for cheap (fairly outdated). You could also easily do what you describe in Google Earth.

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out QGIS (Quantum GIS)... it is open-source and free. Could easily do what you are looking to do with it. And honestly, for what you are doing, you could probably just use image processing software, like Photoshop. PS itself is expensive, but there is a FREE alternative called "Gimp" that is nearly identical, and totally free. Google it.

edit: Just realized the original post is from 2+ yrs ago... oops! :)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think with Gaia gps you can add location points

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread