Got a crushed coin and almost got crushed myself!

TheJaker

Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Today something crazy happened! Me and my dad went hiking and the hiking area was right near the train tracks so we put a coin on the tracks to see what would happen. When we finished hiking and got back, I found the coin right next to the tracks crushed. I was pretty amazed and showed my dad, who was digging through this pocket to see if he could put a pocket on the tracks again. He then looks up and says “There’s a train!” I look and see a 2 story train at full speed coming towards me. We run off 5 seconds before I would have been crushed myself. After getting ourselves back together we look up and see the conductor giving us a not-so-happy-look. We walk away shocked and go back home. Here is a pic of the crushed coin:

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg The coin was a 2017 p penny

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to go fishing and we would fish off this tressell it was about 100 yards from start to the end and it was only about 6ft wide and the best spot was in the middle so you had to pay attention cause thos amtracs were hauling. so when you heard it we had to grab all our stuff to run to get off the tressel some close calls lol glad you saw it on time be careful. Tommy

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe expect a visit from the man--- video of you from the engine very likely-- and --- not a joke.... the click of Peerless hinged cuffs, double locked for your comfort:sad1:

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was a kid , we did the same thing ,,,crushed coins were a cool thing...it was dangerous to do...those trains cant stop on a dime...when I look back , man was I stupid

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is illegal to place objects on the tracks....although there are probably a lot of us that have done it!

chub

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol I grew up next to the tracks, used to see how many pennies we could stack and squash together. When we'd go looking for them we'd find tons of other peoples coins that got smushed and lost in the gravel.

Funny story about train conductors, we spent a lot of time around the tracks as kids, never anything worse than throwing rocks at glass bottles and smushing coins, but our neighbors kid would throw rocks at the train. At some point an official from CSX (the train company ) came to our town and gave all the kids a stern talking to, told us those doors on boxcars weigh 10 tons and fall off sometimes. Yeah... so I spent the rest of my child hood waiting for one of those 10 ton doors to come cart wheeling through my house at night and take me out like Donnie Darko.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep meaning to go back to the spot we did this as kids and try to find what we lost(even though it was mostly clad and zinc).

OP
OP
TheJaker

TheJaker

Feb 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the support and feedbacks! Cool to know I’m not a Lone Ranger with this thing

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Your story brought back fond memories of 45 years ago when I did things similar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread