having trouble with my garrett pro pointer!!!

Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellows, im having trouble with my garrett pro pointer, it starts beeping randomly, I have only used this about 8 times as I have never needed to own one before with the logging camps I would hit...big iron...I guess I will have to call garrett and return it so I can get a new one...I know there should have been a recall because a lot of people are having problems with these as I see on you tube and the tn...this has to be a very bad design..i have been in R&D before and these people are paid very well... they need to get back to the drawing board on this one.....as we use to say...
RESEARCH AND DESTROY!!!

thanks,
Gary

Mine does that when I need to replace the battery.

Every week this same question comes up and it seems the answer now is to return the item to the supplying vendor and request a like item made by another manufacture.

The battery is weak or not making a good conection. Mine did this a lot untill I shimmed the battery by putting a spacer in the cap. Now the battery last months and I use it a couple times a week for all day hunts.

So far I guess I'm lucky. Had mine 5 months no problem. When the battery needed changing it does a hi/low beep. The cap on mine fits real tight.
If it's defective send it back, get a new one.

$16 at Harbor Freight. Never had a problem.

I put a quarter between the cap and the battery to give more tension on the battery contacts. Works fine so far.
luvsdux

$16 at Harbor Freight. Never had a problem.

Man do you sell these things?...LOL

Really thou, the Pin pointer had a connection Issue, they tried to fix it by adding a little piece of foam to make the connection better.

I went thru the same thing with all of mine, Right now I have 2 Nickels in the battery compartment and it works just fine. Even new pinpointers will chatter sometimes on their own, I have grown used to it and just turn it off and back on, 99% of the time , that fixes it.

There are so many variables that cause electronics to do weird things. You just have to keep that in mind. Either way, if you cant get it working , garrett will fix it in a heartbeat

Man do you sell these things?...LOL

Really thou, the Pin pointer had a connection Issue, they tried to fix it by adding a little piece of foam to make the connection better.

I went thru the same thing with all of mine, Right now I have 2 Nickels in the battery compartment and it works just fine. Even new pinpointers will chatter sometimes on their own, I have grown used to it and just turn it off and back on, 99% of the time , that fixes it.

There are so many variables that cause electronics to do weird things. You just have to keep that in mind. Either way, if you cant get it working , garrett will fix it in a heartbeat

Well, lets see. You have a $160 (list) detector and you have to put 2 nickels in the batt. box to get it to work!
AND YOU ARE KNOCKING BOATLOAD???????
I have got app. 3 years on my Harbor Freight pointer. Hay so it has a cheap switch. Anyone with half a brain can replace it for about $2 cost and 20 min time. The HF also has a sensitive adjustment. It cost $16. I guess that is what gets your goat. Just my thoughts! Frank...- 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

All this stuffing with nickels, quarters, or felt pads plus this and that trick to get a product to work should not have to be done. The plain simple fact is if GARRETT HAD THE SAME DEGREE OF ETIQUETTE IN MANUFACTURING AS THEY DO IN REPAIR/REPLACEMENT there just would not be a problem or a need to modify their product to work. The owners and users of this item would not be stuck with that shipping/insurance to send it back in and "have them take care of it". It is a known reported problem item and GARRETT just keeps on selling them. The very strange thing is there are those who know about all these reported faults and still support the sale of an item that should be recalled.

Where did you purchase it? Could it be a counterfeit?
I have two. Both work flawlessly. The Garrett ProPointer is my only choice.
Peace

All this stuffing with nickels, quarters, or felt pads plus this and that trick to get a product to work should not have to be done. The plain simple fact is if GARRETT HAD THE SAME DEGREE OF ETIQUETTE IN MANUFACTURING AS THEY DO IN REPAIR/REPLACEMENT there just would not be a problem or a need to modify their product to work. The owners and users of this item would not be stuck with that shipping/insurance to send it back in and "have them take care of it". It is a known reported problem item and GARRETT just keeps on selling them. The very strange thing is there are those who know about all these reported faults and still support the sale of an item that should be recalled.

And I will buy another when i tear this one up. I can admit, I beat the hell out of mine. It gets muddy alot, Wet, use it on rocks, it gets dropped.

And yea, i put Nickels, bottle caps..Whatever to make it work. I really don't care. I know that i can take my 4 year old pinpointer to garrett right now and they will "fix" it.

And i wasn't knocking the Harbor freight pin pointer. I too bought one at first. but with the amount of detecting i do, and the conditions In in. It would not work very well.

I must be lucky. Had mine a few years and never a problem.

Like i said on my other post. I treat mine badly. So I expect to eff stuff up..lol I have 3 of them in different stages. I really have no problem buying one every other year or so. They save me countless hours digging. And pay for them selves in clad very quickly. And considering I leave 20 minutes from the Garrett headquarters isnt too shabby either

My first one worked great. The only problem was my fault, when I lost it. There is a neat way to adjust the sensitivity to it- see the Garrett forum.

Couldn't live without it so I bought another one. Works perfectly.

Found the first one.

Now I have two working great.

I've seen discussions about people buying knock-off's that don't work so well.

Mine did that when battery was low. I love my Garrett pro pointer.

i have two, both real and are falsing garbage.

I use the Minelab and it works all the time.

i have two, both real and are falsing garbage.

I use the Minelab and it works all the time.
I wonder why everyone doesn't have a Minelab pinpointer? Why do the majority use garbage?

Well.....

I have used 4 different pin pointers, including the Mine Labs unit. Fact is, I liked it worse of all! If you're using a Garret in mineralized soil, it will sometimes do as you state. Just turn it off, hold it way from nearby objects, and turn it back on. While it does have a few quirks, it is still the best out there. By the way, it just happens to be the most-popular pinpointer in the world!

I've been through two garretts with bad results. I also have the minelab and white's. They both have worked as they should. If I were new and looking for a pinpoiter and was to read a post such as this the one point that sticks out is any brand new product you buy that has to be jerryrigged to work is a product I would'nt buy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back