Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know they made cuffs of that Confederate School. Last spring I dug TWO ultra rare St. Timothy's Hall buttons at a farm I had been digging not very far from where I live. They were a total shock. Saturday I went with another Tnet member (see other post), and found a lot of items. Had a great time. Late last night, I cleaned up the last button from Saturday, it was a flattened, toasted, never going to figure this one out kind of CW cuff button, When I got the dirt off, I saw a 5 pointed star on it with a ribbon beneath. Then I started to freak out. It is a St. Timothy's Hall button, from the same school John Wilkes Booth attended. It was found about 80 miles from the first two. They chances of this happening in this universe is zero. There are only five letters of the legend available, the star is just the outline, the center of the star is eaten through, the ribbon is clear. Sorry about the picture, button will be conserved after it dries out, and detail will be better, but the picture will not improve the button, but it is, what it is. I have posted a picture of one of the ones I found in the spring to show what they are supposed to look like.

And to Jeff-Gordon, this is what happens in my down time.And no, no dry spells. Took a bit of research to figure it out.

IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0530.JPG View attachment A599 - 20170407_180810.bmp

And had such a shock I can't spell right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 31

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
great find :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you gold boy. My secret is I go slow....slow....slow....mostly 'cause the arthritis has me. But it does work. I am still in freak out mode, because I JUST figured it out. Will look a lot better when I preserve it, as is if you zoom in you can see the outline of the star and the ribbon beneath. This photo does not show the school name very well at all.

Last edited:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find! Congratulations! You must have a great collection by now.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Aureus, I wouldn't consider it a great collection but I have plenty of "toys" to play with, and except for a purchase here or there, just what I dig. Before 2017, I think it was 1990 or so when I dug my last Confederate button, but thanks. I "assumed" it was a flattened eagle cuff. Not anymore.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the cool find! :occasion14:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find, cool story and awesome presentation. Banner find in my book.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible. Great job! -Lisa & John

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
it's like lightening striking where and when you want it to...it just ain't that easy...I didn't say impossible

pretty cool pulling another rarity, but that's just detecting , you just never know

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!
YOU GO SMOKEY!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironhorse, Calabash digger...it's just not possible. However, that being said, if you know the right Person, lighting can be directed to any particular spot at any particular time. Once upon a time ago, almost in another life, true, absolutely true story here...the spouse decides to up and leave. 20 years of marriage and poof! up in smoke. No good reason, a friend had died at age 40 and the spouse just freaked, said needed a new life and went off to find a better one. Well, said spouse decided to drive to Nashville to make it big in country music. Right. I couldn't figure it out. Like why? Had a friend over, and we were talking about the why's and now what to do's. I casually stated - 100% true - "What does God have to do, strike 'em with lightning?" Ok, guess Who was listening. This gets better. Said spousal unit comes back a week later and comes in the house all excited. Says "Guess what happened to me." "I got struck by lightning". Now, standing there, I think, no way. Apparently was driving along the NC/TN border and a bolt of lighting struck the truck in the rear, in front of the gas tank, and went to ground and didn't blow up the truck. So goes the story. So I'm simply not believing this. So we go outside and I look at the truck and can see the burn mark where the lightning blew/fried the paint off the springs (it was a brand new truck) and went to ground. So I had totally forgotten the remark I had made to my friend the week before. Sometimes I remember stuff right, sometimes not. My friend reminds me I had stated "What does God have to do, strike 'em with lightning?" and in that instant I remembered what I had said. I think my jaw dropped totally to the floor.

And sometimes getting struck by lighting doesn't have much of an effect on some people. This happened in the spring of 1993. In another lifetime but the story is absolutely true.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironhorse, Calabash digger...it's just not possible. However, that being said, if you know the right Person, lighting can be directed to any particular spot at any particular time. Once upon a time ago, almost in another life, true, absolutely true story here...the spouse decides to up and leave. 20 years of marriage and poof! up in smoke. No good reason, a friend had died at age 40 and the spouse just freaked, said needed a new life and went off to find a better one. Well, said spouse decided to drive to Nashville to make it big in country music. Right. I couldn't figure it out. Like why? Had a friend over, and we were talking about the why's and now what to do's. I casually stated - 100% true - "What does God have to do, strike 'em with lightning?" Ok, guess Who was listening. This gets better. Said spousal unit comes back a week later and comes in the house all excited. Says "Guess what happened to me." "I got struck by lightning". Now, standing there, I think, no way. Apparently was driving along the NC/TN border and a bolt of lighting struck the truck in the rear, in front of the gas tank, and went to ground and didn't blow up the truck. So goes the story. So I'm simply not believing this. So we go outside and I look at the truck and can see the burn mark where the lightning blew/fried the paint off the springs (it was a brand new truck) and went to ground. So I had totally forgotten the remark I had made to my friend the week before. Sometimes I remember stuff right, sometimes not. My friend reminds me I had stated "What does God have to do, strike 'em with lightning?" and in that instant I remembered what I had said. I think my jaw dropped totally to the floor.

And sometimes getting struck by lighting doesn't have much of an effect on some people. This happened in the spring of 1993. In another lifetime but the story is absolutely true.

Smokey I work on a commercial shark longline boat catching 100 + sharks on a good day. One of my friends once said that getting bit by a shark or struck by lightning is almost impossible odds. I said you have obviously never worked on a commercial shark boat in the middle of a florida thunderstorm. Your odds go way way up in that circumstance !! I never thought that I would find a cob on fri. 13 (my wifes birthday also) that was lost on a fri. 13th 284 years ago. Those odds are pretty tough too !! Its a strange world we live in, thats for sure. Anyway congrats on another great hunt !! Nice Scoville !! Oh ya , what do you think the odds are that I would find a banner cob right after your banner gold coin and they would be side by side on the banner board. Wierd !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart - odds are zero. Against the wind, from the same school and found 80 miles away - zero percent. I call it an Act of God. Now that the button is dry, it's starting to look a little better. Will let it dry a couple more days then hose it down with polyurethane spray so it doesn't turn to dust in a few years.

If you just knew the stuff I'd dug over the years...it takes a lot of work to do it.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my best year since 1989. Yes, da cat is that old. Starting to feel it to. My mom took me to an archaeology dig when I was about 8 the first time. I've been looking for stuff on and in the ground ever since, but not till much later in life did I actually pursue it. Back then, the metal detector had just gone into public use and pretty much no one had one.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a rare one for sure!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to "the" CW button expert last evening. Yes, there are cuff buttons from that school, however, they are very hard to get. Still waiting a few more days to make sure the brass is totally dry and will preserve it. BTW the button top is just to the right of center in the photo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread