What's new

I found religion??

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am going way out on a limb here with this. I am hunting in the Netherlands but I don't think it is something that would just come from or be confined to the Netherlands.

The site is consistently producing coins and other items definitely from the 17th and 18th century. There is, of course, newer stuff but most of the items are from the period when the canal and windmill were there and working.

The find has been hit by a plow which is common most everywhere and since this sucker is 45mm in diameter, it won't get missed forever. So all I have photographed is the top half of the front. It gives the most information. The bottom is just the rest of the body with nothing unusual.

The back does not seem to have another figure. I'm still cleaning it.

It is copper and line engraved. From what I can discover from the web is that a figure holding a BIG sword and a Bible is St. Paul.

So does anybody recognize the style, have any ideas what it may have been used for, what it may have been a part of. Anything?? I have run out of ideas on places to search.

Thanks for the help. I'm hurting on this one.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • Sword.webp
    Sword.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 859
s.s. and Daryl, again, "copper alloy" doesn't necessarily mean bronze. It means copper based. it can be anything copper based.

I've produced a link which says pilgram's badges exist with Charlemagne, and these particular badges are sometimes copper alloy, and as well thery can be small. Whether you want to dismiss the possibility without researching what percent copper existed in these relics; or for that matter, identifying the metal in this find exactly, that's fine, but to you s.s., assuming badges were "certainly not copper" seems a bit premature at this point until those questions are answered. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
s.s. and Daryl, again, "copper alloy" doesn't necessarily mean bronze. It means copper based. it can be anything copper based.

I've produced a link which says pilgram's badges exist with Charlemagne, and these particular badges are sometimes copper alloy, and as well thery can be small. Whether you want to dismiss the possibility without researching what percent copper existed in these relics; or for that matter, identifying the metal in this find exactly, that's fine, but to you s.s., assuming badges were "certainly not copper" seems a bit premature at this point until those questions are answered. :wink:
Well seeing as you are taliking about this piece being a Medieval Pilgrims Badge, which would date range 11c-15c, the chances of it being made from Copper, and surviving with any detail left, I would guess at 0 :wink:

SS
 
Upvote 0
S.S., Did you bother reading the link? Many of the relics in the link were early copper alloy (including Pilgim's badge "unlikely to post date 1530" ) which apparently have managed to survive.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
S.S., Did you bother reading the link? Many of the relics in the link were early copper alloy (including Pilgim's badge "unlikely to post date 1530" ) which apparently have managed to survive.
Like I said never seen one made from Copper, seen Bronze,Lead pewter, Silver and Gold, none on the UKFD base made from Copper either.Must be unique to were it was found. And you keep using the word Copper Alloy, which usually refers to Bronze.
 
Upvote 0
S.s., if you're convinced that this object is pure copper then it does no good to argue with you. As for me, I see green corrosion in the first scan, very little in the second, totally different colors in both scans, so I personally doubt very much whether it's composition can be identified with any certainty based on these scans . I wish you luck identifying it. It is an exciting object. :icon_profileleft:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
S.s., if you're convinced that this object is pure copper then it does no good to argue with you. As for me, I see green corrosion in the first scan, very little in the second, totally different colors in both scans, so I personally doubt very much whether it's composition can be identified with any certainty based on these scans . I wish you luck identifying it. It is an exciting object. :icon_profileleft:
No arguing Johnnyi :) just my opinion that's all :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I don't think its a Pilgrims Badge. None similar in 'Pilgrims souvenirs & Secular Badges' & most of them are Pewter or Lead/Lead-alloy.

Although in 'The Medieval Period and Nuremberg' which covers some Religious badges it has several 'bracteates' made from Brass which are mostly of a smaller size than the above but some reach 38mm. However, they are pressed sheet brass & have small fixing holes to sew them on. (does this fit?)
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom