What's new

I found religion??

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am going way out on a limb here with this. I am hunting in the Netherlands but I don't think it is something that would just come from or be confined to the Netherlands.

The site is consistently producing coins and other items definitely from the 17th and 18th century. There is, of course, newer stuff but most of the items are from the period when the canal and windmill were there and working.

The find has been hit by a plow which is common most everywhere and since this sucker is 45mm in diameter, it won't get missed forever. So all I have photographed is the top half of the front. It gives the most information. The bottom is just the rest of the body with nothing unusual.

The back does not seem to have another figure. I'm still cleaning it.

It is copper and line engraved. From what I can discover from the web is that a figure holding a BIG sword and a Bible is St. Paul.

So does anybody recognize the style, have any ideas what it may have been used for, what it may have been a part of. Anything?? I have run out of ideas on places to search.

Thanks for the help. I'm hurting on this one.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • Sword.webp
    Sword.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 859
Maybe part of a copper printing plate. (How old does printing from copper plates go back?) :dontknow: Just a WAG. If there is any wording, it of coarse would be backwards if it was part of a print plate.

Looks like some printing methods go way back. http://www.antique-prints.com/intro.htm

Or another WAG, found while researching the printing plate idea....could it be a piece from a suit of armor?

Snipped from the link above
"Engraving is a very old print medium. It is thought that the craftsman who engraved suits of armor first used it around 1400 by rubbing in lampblack and then pressing a piece of paper into it to make an image. Later, the German goldsmiths further developed the technique to print playing cards. The demand for playing cards had thus provided the need for mass production. Albrecht Durer (1471-1528) is considered the greatest line engraver of all time."
 
Upvote 0
I thought about the printing idea but it is definitely round. Could have been part of something used for printing for sure just not familiar with round printing things.

Like you said it would print things backwards and there is no writing to show that. The only thing I can say is that he is holding the sword in his right hand like it depicted in most everything I have seen. Print with it and it will be in his left hand??

Thanks for the input.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
The style of the figure looks Medieval.

I don't think it's a printing plate or woodcut plate, but no clue what it is.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Why do you think it is St. Paul?

4.5 cm is a little less than 2 inches. Is that the correct size?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
What you need is Crusader and Woody's help on this one. :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Daryl, I don't know what it is either, maybe some type of pilgram badge or amulet, but what ever it is I just wanted to congratulate you on a terribly interesting find! (a little late in the game now to suggest now, but you might want to stop cleaning it if it is medieval)

One point that might lend weight to this artifact being a pilgram's badge is that Charlemagne was depicted on one from one of the shrines. Here's a link that shows an example. (this is an offensive link in some respects, but I didn't know how to edit out all the superfluous stuff to save the Charlemagne image...sorry) http://images.google.com/imgres?img...charlemagne+pilgrim%27s+badge&hl=en&sa=N&um=1
 
Upvote 0
There was another round brass object from Nederlands that was posted here a while back. I dont know if anybody remembers. It had a fence, windmills and buildings.

I dont know what they are called but I have seen copper art objects hung on walls. They usually depict a person or scenery. It may also be a plate.
 
Upvote 0
Another possibilty is that it could be part of a very old " Religious Icon "

Here are a couple modern ones that a family member gave us after a trip to Europe .

As you can see , they are both holding a Bible .
 

Attachments

  • Picture 001.webp
    Picture 001.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 651
  • Picture 002 (2).webp
    Picture 002 (2).webp
    47 KB · Views: 637
Upvote 0
Could we see a better pic professor? It appears that the flash is causing a reflection.

Also why cant it be Saint Paul? It looks more like a halo around his head than a crown. Hes usually depicted with a pointed beard and often a sword in his left hand.
 

Attachments

  • Saint_paul.webp
    Saint_paul.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 625
  • Saint_Paul_in_the_Diocese_of_Novaliches.webp
    Saint_Paul_in_the_Diocese_of_Novaliches.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 592
  • saint paul sword.webp
    saint paul sword.webp
    35 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0
I'm just bumping this up because it is too intriguing to get forgoten about.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
There was another round brass object from Nederlands that was posted here a while back. I dont know if anybody remembers. It had a fence, windmills and buildings.

I dont know what they are called but I have seen copper art objects hung on walls. They usually depict a person or scenery. It may also be a plate.

I remember the thread, but couldn't find it.

Interesting find :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
bigcypresshunter said:
There was another round brass object from Nederlands that was posted here a while back. I dont know if anybody remembers. It had a fence, windmills and buildings.

I dont know what they are called but I have seen copper art objects hung on walls. They usually depict a person or scenery. It may also be a plate.

I remember the thread, but couldn't find it.

Interesting find :icon_sunny:
I cant find the thread but here is the pics from my files.
 

Attachments

  • windmill scene.webp
    windmill scene.webp
    41 KB · Views: 464
  • windmill holland scene.webp
    windmill holland scene.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 480
  • windmill scene.webp
    windmill scene.webp
    41 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom