Ideas? Anyone be interested in seeing a show on starting up a hard rock mine?

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one heck of an opportunity to Do so.

the old timers missed a spot. 1.5 oz to the ton, Good reserve, and the claim owner is sadly in very poor health.

Have the resources and technology to make it happen and produce. But that wont be with out problems.

The refinery part is already in operation. Just would need to build a mill and get the rock out and into the system. A lot of things in the can be explored but the big thing is all the unknowns.
dont know if id pitch it to Discovery or Finance the filming myself and document it but I feel it would be entertaining and fun.

Based on this info any feedback is appreciated and will influence how things move forward

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think I would really enjoy it, providing that it was done well,
and:

1) Safety is always first. Would be good to have some emphasis
within the show teaching safe mining practices.

2) No ridiculous inter-personal drama. Hardrock work has
enough natural drama of it's own.

The downside (there's always one) is that more than one
of the shows watchers is going to go dig holes, and wind
up dead or maimed in a cave in. The need for experienced
miners on-site should be emphasized over and over, and
hopefully that will stop a few of the eager diggers from
getting themselves in a heap of trouble.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me.

Avoid the staged drama, and just show miners in the day to day adventures of gold mining.:thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea. Let's put dynamite in the hands of the Hoffmans. -kidding

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
I would defiantly love to see a show like that. i would really like to see how 1-3 miners could open up a mine and drop a shaft. Mom and Pop style. I have plenty of Qz veins around my neck of the woods that were just Mom and Pop. To small for the big companies, but some were ran by just family until WWII and paid all the bills.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a show around 2011 - 2012 called "Coal" ? Something like that ? Following coal miners in W Virginia or something...Think there was only only one season ? So, maybe there is not enough demand, but I enjoyed watching those guy's. Was cool to see their machinery, and process of extraction.

One cool episode showed just how much of a difference experience can make....The "Day" shift had a guy operating the "cutter" deep in the mine and he would dig / extract 3x as much as the night operator. Same area of the mine, the day guy just knew what he was doing. Digging Coal out of Solid rock...That was Drama enough for me ! Those guy's are crazy !

I'd love something similar, lot's of show's coming out showing the placer side, what about the Hard Rock ??

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please be aware the TV producers these days are only looking for scripted, character based dramas. Your wonderful find will only serve as a backdrop to the shows they want to broadcast. They have zero interest in teaching the audience about hard rock mining. There is all kinds of technology these days that make it possible to do your own show, and that is what I would suggest you do!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost mine was a pretty good show but focused mostly on the paranormal, with bits of hardrocking added in. Nowadays viewers get bored easy and need multiple story lines going on at the same time, history and facts are great, but it's always good to have a little danger, mystery, and suspense added in for good measure. Having a little eye candy thrown in (for the male viewers as well as the female viewers) is a plus as well :tongue3:
6a00d83451bb2969e200e54f4dc74a8834-640wi.jpg 1955-sixteen-tons-ge-2.jpg ModelMiners.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
:) im not going to say anything that my wife will bopp me on the head for! yep, she looks like shes quailified!!:) welllllllllll she does have a hardhat and a shovel!!:)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I researched Ghost Mine after watching the finale only to find it was totally fake. I still liked watching the guys work when they actually were.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like quite an opportunity for you. I'm not sure how you could keep the audience interested. I don't mean us, we'll watch, wishing we were there! I mean the general public. Maybe with a lot of history, science of mining, techniques, etc. Will you have any creative control? You wouldn't want the producer making you look like those "other" guys.

P.S. I loved watching your melt videos. I'll bet that job never gets old.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Ghost mine was a pretty good show but focused mostly on the paranormal, with bits of hardrocking added in. Nowadays viewers get bored easy and need multiple story lines going on at the same time, history and facts are great, but it's always good to have a little danger, mystery, and suspense added in for good measure. Having a little eye candy thrown in (for the male viewers as well as the female viewers) is a plus as well :tongue3: View attachment 951147 GG~
This ^^^^ If you want to have a successful "reality" show these days you need a bimbo, a bumbling idiot like Tard Hoffman and a loudmouth jerk like Scott Meisterheim at the very least. Nobody wants to see real people doing real work.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
harumph!!!! She looks like the WRONG kind of "Gold Digger" to me. I'll stick to my lady who at least knows the business end of a shovel and how to run our sluice.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
harumph!!!! She looks like the WRONG kind of "Gold Digger" to me. I'll stick to my lady who at least knows the business end of a shovel and how to run our sluice.

That give's me an idea ..... Put together an all female hardrock mining crew ..... and name the show "THE GOLD DIGGERS"
I'll even volunteer to help with casting :tongue3:

MINING-HAS-ITS-BONUSES.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardrock mining is a slow process. I would think the hardest problem will be keeping the audiance interested. In placer mining things move along pretty steady. Watching holes being drilled is interesting for so long. Explosions would be fun. I've drilled alot of holes to make the explosions and even packed and set them off. Real cool stuff but long time making it happen.

Good luck with your venture!

BH Prospector

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'll just watch "Cop's" re-runs. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread