Indian Pottery - complete!

KatKat

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The field in the back of my house was being dug up because of the beginning of a small sinkhole, and to my surprise the workers found a Native American Indian-made vase, fully intact! I was so utterly astounded that I rushed to make an account on this site to ask if anyone would be knowledgeable enough to know more about its history than "that Native American Indian vase." Here is a picture of the vase right after it was found this morning, and the following ones are from after I attempted to carefully clean it up. Does anyone know a good way to take care of this? Or should I take it somewhere to be taken care of?
INDIAN POTTERY before.jpg
DSC_0314.jpg DSC_0310.jpg DSC_0312.jpg DSC_0313.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help! I am SO excited about this!!!

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vase can we see the inside and the bottom of it?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder how it got buried? It looks like it needs no care other then don't drop it! It looks modern for sure. Wrapped in a large garbage bag and buried? Nice surprise!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...that is a pretty new looking piece you found, maybe whoever lived there before you buried it there? It has a very "different" kind of pattern, not seen one like that before....and yes, what part of the country are you in?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It's certainly not ancient, but it looks like a decent old example of an San Idelfonso Olla or related Pueblo pottery. It could be ery, very collectable to collectors to collectors of historic Puebloan pottery. Or it could be a worthless copy. Neat find.

Tourists bought thousands of these pieces, and many have been found in flower beds or as landscape art.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Katkat 1st we need to know what part of the USA you are in and was it wrapped in that plastic bag, we need more details so we can make a guess about type ,age and what you should do with it.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
As Josh suggested, it's most likely a tourist piece that someone picked up on their travels to the southwest. The vessel form and design makes me think that it originated from the Acoma Pueblo. A great number of Acoma potters didn't sign their work, but you'll want to look on the bottom to make sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread