Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No not a political rant about Sleepy Joe potentially getting into the WH but I'm tempted :tongue3:

Only had about 45 minutes before dark detecting iffy signals at a house that I've pounded with my Explorer SE Pro. Same house I found that strange unidentified bitted key about 6" above a but old rusted piece of iron in the size and shape of a slice of pizza a couple weeks ago.

The Equinox 800 is really impressing me with the number of finds I am making that are co-located with large rusted iron nails/objects. This find was no exception.

In an area I know I've been over before I got a very strange signal with the 800. Different signals that were not repeatable in different direction. One of them hit high around 30 but seemed like some kind of strange falsing. Pinpointing was nearly impossible, but after years of experience with an Explorer I was able to kinda localize a target and b/c targets are now rare at this site decided to dig and check it out--was a bit concerned it was a pipe or something.

In the pile of dirt the Garrett carrot picked up on what I thought was aluminum junk, but I could see an oddly shaped reeded edge and on the other side the word "Dollar" but it seemed to have a strange shank, so I put it in a plastic zip-lock bag and told my partner "maybe a silver quarter turned into a button...strange this thing should have sung out REALLY clearly...there's gotta be something else strange down there." So I located another difficult signal and a few inches away was a huge rusted nail or bolt. I was astounded at the performance of the 800 in terms of the number of items I have found now co-located with iron.

So it was cold getting dark and we went to get some pizza. Still had no idea what I'd dug but thought it was something cool.

Upon getting home and running it under some cold water, turns out to be a REALLY interesting find--a Standing Liberty Quarter with a hole blown straight through it! I grab my jeweler's loupe and I see an "S" mint mark and then a clear 1918 :icon_thumright: now I'm actually praying that there is NO 7 visible below the 8! :laughing7: Doesn't appear to be. Whew! Sad though, the SLQ was in pretty nice shape when shot before its 100 year big sleep.

I've dug a handful of annoying .22 casings in the general vicinity of this find so I can only surmise that someone had fun imitating a Western and trying to hit this coin in the air with a .22 slug. A very cool and really unique piece of history. The hole is blasted right through the image of standing Liberty--will make another great display piece from this house! Hopefully not a sign of things to come for Liberty in the US.

I have found a KG up in MA that looks like it was shot by a BB gun, but it only bent the coin. This one is blasted clean through the center and I have never seen a silver coin that's been shot before--when it was done this quarter could probably have bought lunch. So what are the odds of a cleanly shot through *and* dated S mint mark SQL? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• SQL 1918S obverse.jpg
    SQL 1918S obverse.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 170
  • SLQ 1918S reverse.jpg
    SLQ 1918S reverse.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 97
  • SLQ 1918S.jpg
    SLQ 1918S.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Upvote 54

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to shoot coins. About half the time they fly away when hit and are lost. Maybe that's what happened here. Probably more of them around. Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... that's really cool and really bad at the same time !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shot through the heart...........
Cool looking silver for sure, and a keeper. Congrats

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik thanks for sharing. That's a very cool find, and I appreciate your discussion of your Equinox signals. I've seen similar behavior in that farm field I've been posting about recently (behavior = ability to pull good targets out from iron, like nails. BUT - I do also get some 30 signals that end up just being rusty iron....).
- Brian

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm. what a shame !

those quarters seem almost as rare as hen's teeth to find. and even more-so with dates.

I do enjoy smaller change with bullet holes though

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liberty has been shoot clean through my man!

I can’t believe we live in this era of insanity. The guise of Safely has taken over freedom as the nations more precious ideal.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Interesting!!!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think something larger then .22 caliber killed that coin

PS super cool find

Last edited:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one cool SLQ! I would have been pretty stoked to dig it.

Steve

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Fantastic find for the display case. Good luck finding another! Thanks for sharing.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet coin. Now arnt you glad you decided to dig it? Those half hitting targets for me have mostly been a nail for me. A few months ago I tested my sharp shooting skills on a penny. I nailed it at 30ft with my daisy. Looked for 30 minutes with my Nox and couldent find it lol.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two of the last few GW silver quarters that I've found have similar gunshot wounds. Both were from the same area of a site. More recently I found a Canadian King George Large Cent that took a bullet.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two of the last few GW silver quarters that I've found have similar gunshot wounds. Both were from the same area of a site. More recently I found a Canadian King George Large Cent that took a bullet.

Hi feel free to post yours here....I'd like to see some other shot coins. I'm not in a super rural area so there was less gun play around here for that kind of thing though obviously there was some.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cause of Death? Gunshot wound...!
1918 Silver quarter, Standing Liberty..too bad its not an 8 over the 7 ...!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think something larger then .22 caliber killed that coin
PS super cool find

Thanks. I did find a larger live round that's still in my junk bucket. I'll have to go thru that stuff and see what it was. What caliber round do you think it might have been hit with?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread