What's new

Is there such a thing as 985 silver?

cjon455

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2012
Messages
9,231
Reaction score
11,541
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally something post worthy! Is there such a thing as 985 silver?

Went to work today for a few hours on the 1800s house my brother is renovating and did a little hunting on my break, this place has been good to me in the past, a v nickle, rosie, and a bunch of wheats, today in abut 30 minutes i scored this nice little pile. 2 wheats, a 44 merc, and this silver religous pendant marked 985, is there such a thing as 985 silver? SAM_2882.webpSAM_2883.webpSAM_2884.webpSAM_2886.webpSAM_2888.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 24
yes = 98.5 % pure silver if i did my research right
 
Looks good to me.... Congrats (agree with NSDQ as well) nice find
 
thanks guys, i saw the mexico on the other side and wasnt sure if it was fake or not:icon_scratch:
 
feels like a newb question, ive heard of 925 before, just never 985, lol oh well.
 
very nice medallion
 
NSGD is right it is 98.5 % pure from mexico. Nice finds on all of it
 
Nice piece of silver.
 
thanks guys, i saw the mexico on the other side and wasnt sure if it was fake or not:icon_scratch:
Mexico is one of your MAJOR producing Countries of Silver!!
 
Nice finds. I concur, 98.5% pure silver.

Anita
 
Sweet ! Better than sterling !
Glen
 
Yup 985 is better than finding 925:thumbsup:. Tho not as good as 999. Those are fabulous finds!
 
yeah, it has some nice weight to it also, unfortunately im too poor for a scale to get an accurate weight lol
 
Never heard of 985 before, but there's a first time for everything. I was going to ask if you could be reading it wrong, but that pic is clearly 985.

Congrats a cool find!
 
I just received the very same medallion, from my mother of my late father..my mother told me it was purchased in Mexico from her parents while on a cruise.. About 1972 I think..
 
thanks guys, i saw the mexico on the other side and wasnt sure if it was fake or not:icon_scratch:

I used to think that too...i think its only CHINA and ITALY we have to worry about
 
Oh yeah, I like it too! Thanks for sharing and the answer to your question will enlighten many tnetters I'm sure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom