What's new

Is this a shipwreck coin?

ANJ245

Greenie
Joined
Jul 16, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Garnett, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Whites XLT, Fisher CZ21, Fisher CZ20, Fisher Gold Bug
I found this on Galveston Island near Stewart's Beach in 2001 or 2002. I found this where 12" - 18" of sand had been washed away during a hurricane. The item appears to be silver and has a VDI of 60 on a White's detector. It is easily scratched and is not plated. It has no line indicating that it was cast between two dies.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0231.webp
    IMAG0231.webp
    85.6 KB · Views: 618
  • IMAG0232.webp
    IMAG0232.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 616
  • IMAG0233.webp
    IMAG0233.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 627
not a coin --possibly a religous artifact * from a shipwreck * see the cross -- coins normally have a value mark of some sort upon them -- and are often dated -- I think you got a religious artifact made from raw silver ore being poured into a die . thus rough on the rear side but nice on the cross side --cool find. --I know for a fact that there were some spanish treasure fleet vessels that wrecked near padre island in 1554 .
 
Upvote 0
It could very well be an early piece - I don't have the expertise to say. But when I first saw it I was reminded of a piece I found this summer in a school yard. I thought when I saw it that it could be silver - though it was registering too low. When I took it home and researched it I found out it was a modern pewter religious pocket piece. No seam on it either.

I haven't checked on whether they made them with crosses but I don't think that would be unexpected.

Again though - I don't know.

And Welcome to the Board! ;D

venchs.jpg
 
Upvote 0
the cross one is silver (cross design is also a older type design - while its possible , that it could be could be modern made -- the rear of the cross one is rather rough looking , modern ones tend to be smooth backed)--the other is a pewter modern "angel in my pocket" item.
 
Upvote 0
Try and post some new pics.1 that may not distort the color so much ....Could be some type of trade ingot?
 

Attachments

  • ingots.webp
    ingots.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 0
You are right that they aren't exact, but similar in general. In the photo above, it looks like there are some one sided molds to pour the metal into. Would those result lin similar pieces like the angel and cross? That's what the backs look like, the unfinished results of a "pour".
 
Upvote 0
looks fairly modern mould to me, little trinket type object
 
Upvote 0
well its no viking trinket,but i think he should look into the info & artifacts from the 1554 shipwrecks right on shore & missions in the area.World Coins and Medals Italy Genova Conrad II (1554-1637)
 

Attachments

  • silver coin.webp
    silver coin.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
I really don't want to believe it but, I think that we are onto something with the pewter trinket idea. Thanks for everyone's input.
 
Upvote 0
I think both the angel and cross pieces are kinda like religious good luck charms meant to be carried like a lucky coin.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom