bad headphone connection.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 330

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Greg,

If you are handy, you can go to Radio Shack and buy either a straight or 90 degree stereo jack for under $5. Cut the old one off and solder on a new one.

You may want to check with Koss. Most quality headphone makers offer a repair or exchange service.

Jeff

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Jeff In North Georgia said:
Greg,

If your handy, you can go to Radio Shack and buy either a straight or 90 degree stereo jack for under $5. Cut the old one off and solder on a new one.

You may want to check with Koss. Most quality headphone makers offer a repair or exchange service.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go the route and fix your own, make sure you get one with a stress relief spring. That is why yours broke in that particular area, it has either a very stiff relief or none at all.......NGE

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
If you go the route and fix your own, make sure you get one with a stress relief spring. That is why yours broke in that particular area, it has either a very stiff relief or none at all.......NGE

Thanks I am very, very disappointed in Koss headphones and will call them in the morning. Two emails sent ...zero replies...

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Honestly, I'm not surprised that has happened to a weak overmolded straight plug like that found on the Koss UR-30's. With the kind of abuse we put these through I doubt Koss would warranty them, but if they do that's awexome. The same thing happened to mine but just the strain relief broke away and the wire jacket is exposed (not the individual wires). Mine still works fine though, but it was just a matter of time before they go to hell. I was already considering the Radio Shack option because I have no less than 4 soldering irons and a degree in Geek.

That said, I just got some Ratphones Max and I'm never looking back :)

capguntom

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
Hi Greg,, If Coss does'nt offer to repair/replace your item,, you may try this: (if the wires are not broken, you mentioned you had to push it in to make connection ) this may not work ,,,,BUT,, super glue (GELL TYPE IS BEST) the parts back together as tightly as possible. After a couple of hours, mix up some "J-B WELD " and put as heavy a coat of it around the broken area as you can . Give that a few hours to set and then build up a good layer of J-B WELD over area.
Good Luck,,,, 'Capguntom' Tom Sr.

P.S. J-B WELD is a two part Epoxy ,very strong,, you can get it at any hard ware store or auto parts store.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
same thing happened to mine Gregg. i went to radio shack and got a stereo (has to be stereo) phono plug and soldered it on in like 2 minutes. a little electrical tape as an added strain relief and they work as good as new. :thumbsup:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gregg,
I have a problem with my gray ghost headphones...worked great and then just quit working. There is no visible signs of broken wires but I'm sure there is a malfunction somewhere. Anyone know how I can get in touch with the manufacturer????? I can't find the company anywhere. They say they have a lifetime warranty and I think it was a short lifetime..

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had some old Koss headphones. The ear cushions collapsed so I didn't use them for several years. Finally, I decided to give them a call. They told me to send them back. They replaced the ear cushions and put a new coiled cord on .... FREE.

If I was you, I'd call them.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/cs-warrepair

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread