What's new

✅ SOLVED Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlawatheart

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
815
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
now I sort of feel bad about posting a possible fake on here to all you guys. Which puts everything else I have under suspicion. Not really into trying to defend myself over some pretty rocks(now or later) nor should I have too. I don't have the expertise to prove or disprove anything so am defenseless. I guess the expert ones who think they are protecting the hobby are just driving the hardcore collectors deeper into privacy. Too bad for us all especially the ones like me that truly know very little about what they have found and would like to know more.
Just want to say the piece in question was found in the dirt and to me was a fair find in a legal place. I did not intentionally try to fool anyone which obviously must happen a lot on here for some to be so fracking defensive and quick to dismiss things as fakes from only some photos.
To all of you that I have learned things from I say thank you very much and am sorry to stir up any animosity. Enjoy your hunting and have a happy safe year. Maybe we will meet again sometime. See ya!!!
 
Upvote 0
I see a lot of "votes" for you to hang out here with the rest of us. Besides, where ya going to post your next great find where we can all see it! JMO
 
You already know my feelings Outlaw. Dont run I know I never have. Learning is a great thing. I am EagleBear and have learned allot.
 
Listen Outlaw you posted it on here for people to view. Everyone....even myself have taken criticism and although it stinks it is part of the learning process. Let me tell you how I started to learn. It was by a collector who knew what they were looking for yet did not know what type or era they were from. This guy took me out several times my first year to different fields. I would bring him everything and things I thought were points, ya know all excited and stuff....Well he tossed them and he did this until i knew better not to bring him up stones just artifacts. Pretty much that is where it started. MY point is if you say you found it then that is great then you should not be so upset when someone points out things about it that don't look normal. A simple I found it and how, would have been good as a answer. I asked you a simple question, as did Joshua. That was all. The immediate reaction was not warranted by all those who defended this. This is a open forum for people to look at and comment on everything brought to the table. People should not be so objective to comments regarding these pieces. A couple questioned the fact of salting land but it has happened. You did not know this therefore you did not know that a artifact found could possibly be one of these. Yes it is like hitting the lottery, but it has happened to some decent folks which I believe you are. I like your background frame as well with those Snyders Hopewell points. That is a nice frame....Do not leave just tell your story......the stone will tell its own story...................
 
Hey hey don't go any where outlaw haha . I believe there are some that may think my finds are fake sometimes but I know they are not ... They might possible believe I can make a piece such as that hoe hahaha if I could however make something that nice then wouldn't i of made a 5 inch long fluted piece stay online my friend

I can back your stuff up as not fake because I find similar items/materials :)
 
outlawatheart, it isn't a crime to believe a point you pulled out of the ground is ancient. It isn't your fault if you did not recognize it might instead be modern. You didn't do anything wrong at all. You're a member in good standing; there is simply no reason to feel you need to say so long to TNet. Let it all go and just forget about it. Many people find out they have modern pieces in their collections after posting something to a forum. It's not easy when someone tells you that point you know you pulled out of the ground isn't ancient. The understandable first reaction is to doubt what you are being told because you found it and who would do that just to trick someone? It can be embarrassing too, but it's no misdeed and it absolutely does not reflect poorly on you at all. You are a member in good standing whose posts are appreciated by many. My suggestion is to stay put:icon_thumright:
 
....hey outlaw, don't go....will miss you and flint :(...we like you, please stay :)
 
Here's a lesson I'll share that had a real good ending. I don't know slate, and for that reason alone, should not buy any. Or if I do, at least examine it closely. Once I bought a pendant with an engraving of an animal on it. Posted a thread. Not here. Two people asked for close ups of areas that were suspect in their eyes. I did the close ups, and in the process, saw the machine marks they had seen themselves. Came with a lifetime guarantee. Two plus years after buying it, got a refund. Brought the thread back to the top to thank the two guys who helped me with an embarrassing lesson. I had posted a reproduction, not an authentic artifact. I picked up my first point in the late 1950's. But I did not closely examine a ground slate artifact when it arrived. Posting on the Internet got me a refund!
 
Im surprised they honored their warranty.Charl good things happen to good people you wanna buy some slate....
 
Outlaw, please don't leave...I've enjoyed every one of your posts and pics of your wonderful artifacts and even jealous because all I find are pottery shards ... sure wish I could find that type stuff in my creek...maybe someday I will. Please don't go.
 
I missed something. Did you drop a Baby Ruth in the pool??
 
ok outlaw 30 posts just praised you and want you to keep HH'ing and most of all keep posting

you have so many cool things and i bet you most likely have more.........and i wanna see'em

this is my order for you to please stay and share................i have spoken

your tnet friend,

larson1951
 
WOW!!! TNET folk are very cool!! I never ran anywhere this site is too dang addictive :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: I just kinda stepped back out of it for a bit. Believe me Mr. GTP it wasn't the criticism that bothered me at all, if ya make your finds public then its part of the game. The thing that urked me was the way you put your opinion forth then ran to another site to get your expert buddy to substantiate it in this forum then patting yourself on the back for being maybe right. Is it a topic at your other site too? The difference between you two guys and me are I don't buy/sell stuff therefore I could care less what something is worth and I feel like a dork for actually letting you bait me into trying to defend it. If its a fake then cool. If its real then even cooler. Who ever made it was very good at what the do and made a beautiful thing. That's what's the coolest to me. If you know others who can make a piece like it I would love to see their work.
I've seen several things on here that might be questionable but all I said was good find thanks for sharing as did everyone else. That's what a good member and true hardcore hunter would do. We pay for our collections with the miles we walk not with the money we make. You do not have to explain yourself to me about anything you said, as with the statement above, just if your gonna be blunt then be blunt don't side step your comments with political correctness just to please others following this...you sure seem to talk down to a lot of the nice people on here which is sad sir...it's crap like this that that keeps some folk from showing their collections which sux for us who just like to see them cause they are cool. It's the hunt and the anticipation of the find not how much they are worth that gives us the addiction. Plus its fun.
I am sure all of this has our honorable moderators cringing so why don't we just agree to disagree sir and end it here.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear your not going anywhere.After all the smoke cleared i still couldnt see the sky.Outlaw i still dont have a clue on what to believe on this piece.Thats whats sad.I know as a fellow hunter i believe you.Hope i didnt fan the flames but you and your find deserve more respect.Ive been through it and i hope something has been learned here.If nothing else people need to show a little tact when they are voicing there opinions.
 
hey hey outlaw you are great

thanks for the kind words

oh and btw, thanx for obeying my order..........hahaha
 
Oh brother. Pounding on the guy who posted honestly and to the best of his ability is just not cool. You had the opinions of three of the top guys who show up here. I'd be happy to get their opinion, and would seek it out if necessary.

How is anyone expected to learn if you gloss over the suspect artifacts? Just giving compliments and pats on the back when you REALLY suspect otherwise sure is polite, but is also nothing short of dishonesty, and serves no one well.

I was suspect, because you were not very forthright with information on it. If want to avoid this kind of skepticism in the future, I would strongly recommend getting it looked at by Ben Stermer, for authentication like has already been wisely recommended, AND to preserve the provenance like was already wisely suggested. Your lack of interest in following the good advice you have received here, also makes at least me more suspicious.
 
I wish I could lock this thread
 
FYI, I just got this no-brainer back from one authenticator yesterday, and am going to send it to another. Not because it was suspect, but because I care about valuable artifacts and I really want the provenance preserved.


DSCN3555.webp

If cost is the real issue with the obsidian point, I would be happy to pay for it to be authenticated, and even pay for a heavy amount of insurance for the trip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom