What's new

Little Arrowheads

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Kinda cool they could be so small.

Lets see your little guys.

DSCN3327.webp
 
Upvote 0
Five small Knife River Flint points on a Silver dollar (?), now that's not bad. Very nice! :icon_thumleft:
 
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422825493.317951.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422825512.388272.webp
Nice thread here's a few nice little ones
 
I have no idea yet I've tossed around a couple ideas Jeff is one thought Frazier idk ??
 
what do you call that one in your hand?

here is my PNW example!

The little points like these are Mississippian period to late Woodland in GA area. I have tried to look for info on them but cant find any. I give all the tiny ones to the man that lets me hunt his properties.
 
Got to be blow gun/dart points. My brother and I argued over the blowgun theory for years, he believed it I didn't but for the life of me knew that birds and rabbits and such were probably shot with sharpened arrows with no point, wouldn't need it. He gave me a book for Christmas one year that showed a true Louisiana native using one made from a piece of river cane. Another friend has made a blowgun and here is a pic of the dart and a point he found that was put on the end...d2
 

Attachments

  • 040.webp
    040.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 155
but don't blow guns mean poison? or have i watched one too many Tarzan movies as a kid?
 
These little Arrowheads are commonly found in good numbers on kills sites. I've never heard of a blow-gun in use up here either.

According to what I have read, the natives up here didn't shoot for the vitals on a buffalo. They would try to get their arrow from the flank forward towards the front of the critter to cause him as much discomfort as possible, so they wouldn't run off to far...........Anyone ever seen a gut shot deers reaction? Usually they will run a little ways, then stand still from the tummy ache, and if they don't get pushed, usually lay down and die very near there.

A little point is all that's needed to open the flesh to get the stick in em. And think about it, how big a hole in a heart or lung would it take to kill something if vitals were the target? Any point that will take down a sparrow, can also easily take down you, me, deer, elk, or yes even a buffalo.
 
Bumping this for sportsmanall.
 
Five small Knife River Flint points on a Silver dollar (?), now that's not bad. Very nice! :icon_thumleft:

There’s six there old digger. And I do believe the lighter one is KRF too.
 
I forgot about this thread. Here's a couple really small Points from California.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    437 KB · Views: 82
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    392.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Here's both sides of a couple of small ones from New Mexico. I'm pretty sure the red one is a Garza Point. The other I'm not sure about. Matt Rowe told me the name once but I can't recall what it was. I know he said it was a rare type. Both of these were gifts for my states collection.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    365.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    457.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    415.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    347.2 KB · Views: 99
I love those deep concave bases on points!
 
bird hunting or tiny symbolic points for religious / decrotive use
 
Then you'll really like these Bifurcate types from Ohio. All personal finds.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    560.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    365 KB · Views: 96
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    244.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    501.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    380.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    383.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    462.8 KB · Views: 70
I forgot about this thread. Here's a couple really small Points from California.

Grim those are some super nice points, but this little black serrated one has to be one of he nicest ones I have seen , that’s a killer point somebody had some skills to make that.
 
bird hunting or tiny symbolic points for religious / decrotive use

Oh brother, here we go again.

Ivan, these points were used on everything. Bison, elk, deer, and even other people.
 
bird hunting or tiny symbolic points for religious / decrotive use

Please don't misinform people. It has been proven that these were used to take down good size game like Deer, Elk, Bison, etc. The term Birdpoints was put on them by the old time collectors because of their diminutive size. The name doesn't actually refer to their use being just to kill birds, but large fowl may have possibly been killed by a skilled bowsman.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom