Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looking for partner near my age - 18

Hi, my name is Andrew and im looking for someone to go out and explore new areas with. I have been prospecting with my dad which is always fun but would like to also meet someone near my age (18 or so) who I can go with. I have a 4x4 and equipment. Please pm me if interested in meeting up and making some plans. P.S. - That's my dad in the picture..

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, my name is Andrew and im looking for someone to go out and explore new areas with.
email me @ [email protected] if interested. Must be 18-20 yr old.
Just for clarification, Scuba.... do you mean to say AT LEAST 18-20, or just the very narrow 18-20 year old range? You may get someone in the 25 to 30 year old range that may add several years of experience to your exploring. Just a thought. TTC

OP
OP
Scubaman2

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I am a bit disappointed with some of these responses. Here is the facts. My son and me (I am 50 yrs old) have been prospecting for approx 10 years and just relocated to the Las Vegas area from Reno. He didn't word this well - I admit that. But the real story is I am at work most of the time and only able to get outdoors with him on some weekends. My wife is disabled and some weekends I just can't go with him. He hasn't met any friends yet due to the disfunctional school system we have in this great state of ours. He is simply getting a little depressed that he doesn't have any met any friends yet - especially ones that are any interested in the gold fever that he has been exposed to. I told him that putting a specific age range was not the best way to approach this (after he had already placed the post without my knowing). Basically, he would just like to meet some youth around his age that are as passionate about exploring the desert and prospecting as he is. I would expect a little understanding as I would expect some of you have had to move your family around due to job opportunities as I have. It has not been easy for any of us. So if there is anyone out there that would like to get together for some prospecting/treasure hunting or specifically hard rock mining let us or him know. He is a little tired of just hanging out with dad.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for all the remarks above (now deleted)- you see, we have been exposed to all manner of weirdo's, lurkers, and monkey-wrenchers on this forum. You will
forgive us, I hope, if we are a bit skeptical. This forum is filled with experienced miners, prospectors, and hard rock claimowners. I hope we can start over in regards to your son.

Welcome to the forum Scubaman2 - Where did you go when you and son were in Reno?, as I live there - just curious.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I read it right, but we tend to have fun on this site. I assume your son is in high school? If so join a club, especially a science or history club and make a friend. Maybe you could host a party at the house for him and invite some school kids. If he is in college, check with a history prof or two for help. Better yet, I'm sure there is a detector club or two in the Vegas area that would love to have him as a member and would watch out for him. Again, we're sorry. Tell him we want to see his finds on here, we want to see the first gang executed body he digs up and if he does find a couple of 18-20 year old chicks, I'll take one off his hands...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry Andrew & Scubaman2 !

everybody has different tolerance levels, so what's Friendly Banter to one, May be
upsetting to another.

every post here should have a Untitled.jpg Bottom Left under the posters name & info

If anyone goes too far in your opinions, do not hesitate to hit report & explain.

We will take care of it.

By the way I see nothing wrong with what Andrew posted.
If I was in the area, between 18-20 yr old and into prospecting
I'd probably contact him :dontknow:anyway
Good Luck & welcome to Andrew Joining us also :icon_thumleft:[h=2][/h]

OP
OP
Scubaman2

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Fullpan - and everyone else who understood that my son is simply trying to find some kids his age that are into prospecting. Anyway, we lived in Reno for about 5 years and would usually go up around the Downie River above Downievile. The GPAA has a claim up there that still has some nice color and a nice primitive camping area just large enough for a few tents. Have found some gold out near Fernley - the mining district is called Olinghouse - was once a very rich area. Just don't venture past the sign on the dirt road - there is a serious mine up there where they are finding specimen quality gold. Have also gone out around the Rye Patch area and met Pegleg. He's a nice guy and allowed us to dig up some large quartz crystal and showed us some of the ones he has found. I believe he still lives out there full time. The local club in Reno has some good claims and last I heard were trying to acquire some richer ones. Also might want to try some hardrocking up around Como - fairly rough road- definitely want 4 wheel to get up there. Would be good for metal detecting also. Enjoy Reno and thanks for the reply. P.S. got my scuba certification in Lake Tahoe - that was cool too.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW - I'm betting we drove past each other at one point ! We've panned on Lavazolla(near the Downie), been snooping out at Olinghouse (some major claims out there have recently changed ownership). Scott Weirsky, a specimen collector recently showed me some fantastic wire gold specimen's from Olinghouse: Peg leg John, out at Rye Patch, had to move into Imlay.; Been up the road to Como one time - many indications around the whole region. "scuba at Tahoe" - ya got me there -
its too COLD up there for these old bones !!

Been down your way a couple times, mainly looking for petroglyph sites (there's a bunch). Hope you and Andrew have as much fun down there as you obviously did in Reno. :laughing7:

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
All the best with your search for like minded people. I'm an old guy like you but know the feeling. I moved to North East Tennessee 2 years ago and still haven't found anyone to go scratching in the dirt with. Admittedly I haven't looked real hard. Your first post lacked any details of why you were being so specific in your wants so please accept my apology for any misconception but also try to understand why. Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
Scubaman2

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh ya. We are having a great time in southern Nevada. Lots of areas to explore since the "old timers" were so limited on water - they didn't get all the gold for sure. Petroglyphs galore. Just wish I could metal detect the beaches around Lake Mead since it probably holds a kings ransom in jewelry. Good thing I found out it's a major violation if you do as I was planning to hit that first thing when we moved down here. Have heard stories that "they" will take your metal detector and your vehicle if they want to even if you are just found having a metal detector in your vehicle. Kind of reminds me of what happened in CA a few years back before outlawing dredging. :BangHead:

Should open up some good sniping areas though. Got scuba certified as I planned to go down in some of the deep holes in the American River and surrounding areas. But the desert is my only hope for now.

Ya I understand the misconception NHBandit but my son is still learning how to write since the school system in NV basically sucks. :laughing7:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be happy to take your son for some South Fork American gold if your in town. It is about an hour and a half of bouldering to get there though.

OP
OP
Scubaman2

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Appreciate that Aufisher. I do miss those river systems up there - lots of gold. Don't see either one of us making that drive anytime soon unfortunately. I think we're going to try the East Fork of San Gabriel this spring - looks like some good gold comes out of there also.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
when one has been in the Bush as long as I have you forget how to act, my apologies for being rude.
GT.................

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scubaman.. I was just kidding.. but honestly some time we get weird requests in here and I am a little Twisted... lol as for Help If I could be of any or if you ever have a question just let me know. Sorry and May you find GOLD out there.

OP
OP
Scubaman2

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aufisher or w/e Andrew here your not welcome to take me anywhere due to those comments. My dad may talk to you but I sure as hell dont take comments like that lightly, I am calm when I want to be so just keep your posts to yourself.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Easy young man, a sign of maturity is the ability to take jour job-work-life seriously but not your self. A sense of humor will go a long way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again, My apologies Andrew !
I removed what I believe were the offending posts
& responses that followed that line of thought.

Hopefully we can all move forward from here :icon_thumleft:

Jeff

OP
OP
Scubaman2

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maturity comes with respect and I wasn't shown it therefore I spoke my mind. It's called the freadom of speach act look it up sometime :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread