🥇 BANNER My First Gold Coin! Need help idenifining please!,

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Radio shack special, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Treasure Master, Garret Carrot pro pointer. Whites V3i added 11/3/15Whites Surf Dual Field PI added 5/5/16 - 2/17 Etrac added 11/16 Whites Beach Hunter 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I'm still shaking as I write this. I'll try and keep this short. I bought a new Whites PI about 3 months ago. The 1st month I found a old silver ring very deep. After that and a couple of weeks of trying to figure how it works. Nothing but junk and very little of that I may add. I started to regret buying it. Come to find out the coil was bad right out of the box. Whites replaced it and had me going. Thanks to there awesome service. I went out to my spot where there was and old hotel back in the 1700s or so. I've been hunting low tide about a 100+ yards out. I get a hit and I'm thinking a ring by the sound of the tone. I look in the scoop and to my surprise I see what I think is a toasted dime. (Wrong) it's my first gold coin. Small in size. But incredibly real. The front has a Indian head princess with the United States Of America written on it and the back has some kind of design that I can't make out. I can't find one like it on line. So any of you who mite know I would appreciate any help. It's in really good shape except for a small ding on the edge. Not done by me. For those of you who has found a gold coin. I know how you feel. Those of you who have not. Don't give up! Happy and safe hunting to all of my brother and sister hunters! Thank you James

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 81

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great once in a lifetime find! WOW!!!!

A gold coin love token is simply amazing.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; It is a $1 Gold Piece. I'm not sure if it is Type 1,2, or 3. The Reverse was transformed into a Love Token. Great Find. I hereby Vote Banner. PEACE:RONB

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a very cool find!

PBS

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sweet find. I found one like that years ago in a drained lake. It has a small chain attached to it. It had a nice mellow tone, found it with a Sovereign.
I didn't know the whites PIs had tones as well....

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many hunt a life time and never find a gold coin and you nail it with a gold love token well done

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So awesome! What an amazing find.

(crop the pics next time)

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice gold coin. Congrats.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recovery! Silver are found with some frequency, but a gold love token is in a totally different league. I wonder how many previous love tokens have been posted on TNet? :icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love tokens are hard to find,,
A gold coin is very rare to find,,
A Gold Love Token, , given
by a wealthy (and hopelessly bitten by the love bug), individual.
Then lost by his heart throb. Oh boy, oh boy.
To find a Gold Love Token is extremely rare.
Big Congrats
BANNER

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of cropping your photos and I rotated the back to what I think is the correct orientation. I think you have a very special find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
J

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Radio shack special, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Treasure Master, Garret Carrot pro pointer. Whites V3i added 11/3/15Whites Surf Dual Field PI added 5/5/16 - 2/17 Etrac added 11/16 Whites Beach Hunter 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you my friend for fixing the pictutures. It looks so much better �� I was lucky I kind of remembered even how post the pictures.

OP
OP
J

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! For the awesome comments and information. I still can't believe I found it. A women that I ran into over the early spring told me someone in her family found a gold coin in that area as well metal detecting. I love this hobby and this web site. Expesicaly the members! The dual field pi now that it's working, I'm loving it. Before the fix the noise was so bad I had no clue to what I was doing. Someone asked about the tone or tones. It really only has one I'm guessing. But different pitches. The good stuff or non ferris sounds smooth. The iron and rusty stuff has a rough sound. It's hard to describe. You will deffenitly know that somethings there. I try to dig it all. The other day I found some kind of pendent and thought it was going to be a nail. So anyway. Thank you all so much! Also! Thank you to all the men and women who serve and severed this country. With out you we couldn't do what we do! Please be safe all of you. We no longer live in a place that's always safe! I will Never forget 9/11/01 James!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Love Token:occasion14: Someone with money, most were copper or silver!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to Terry Solomon, and other responses from our members...
I rescind my comment of "Not quite" regarding Banner...

Allow me to elaborate on my initial hesitation....

I was not wearing my reading glasses, and I saw the low # of posts from a "green" member, since July 2015...
So the combination of my inebriation on a Sat. nite, coupled with the fact it is 2016...:laughing7: I didn't think that JamesR1964 had the prerequisite qualifications to be considered for Banner.

James, I didn't mean to derail, or poo poo your exciting find, and I too have nominated you for banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread