Mysterious Tin Coin - part of Templar legacy?

vastik

Sep 29, 2009

Attachments

• Tomsmasonilluminatocoin1.jpg
    Tomsmasonilluminatocoin1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,741
  • Tomsmasonilluminatocoin2.jpg
    Tomsmasonilluminatocoin2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,750

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I think johnnyi was just steering in direction of wine bottle/jam jar based observation this appear to be a one sided object and not a coin/token."

Thanks Spike, and yes, that was my intention, and as well, that it was adhered to something. "A jar of Trapest preserves" was an attempt at humor which obviously doesn't translate well over the internet. Sorry about that. I'll refrain from attempts at humor in the future:D

I apologise to you Silver Surfer for suggesting you believed vastiks' observations and conclusions were sound. I based that assumption on your constant defense of his improbable conclusions (including coin/token), coupled with your "I believe you" posts directed towards him. I'm glad I was wrong.

The little bit I can add to the discussion is that my wife is in Munich now. I emailed her the post last night; and this morning's reply has been that so far the few Germans she's spoken to (oldest being 84 yrs.) have all said this has nothing to do with Templars or secret societies, but is an object "of the assigned catholic priest who's responsibility it was to re-energize his assigned communities/churches to be better believer.
The "ihs" is in Latin which means Jesus savior of men." They've all seen such objects on souveneers handed out to the congregation. (she neglected to mention what kind of souveneers, but I will ask in the next email)

We still haven't i.d.'d it exactly, but aside from the above which we can take or leave, we've proved it is not older than at least 1924; it is modern German language; and it was most certainly adhered to something else. It will be interesting to see if the original "production" concerning the object is edited to reflect these changes of fact. :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
bigcypresshunter said:
vastik said:
Now wait a minute SS, you are helping ME...not the ones who don't appreciate your observations. I have never said anything but good about you. :notworthy:

I am new to this post and I do not know anybody's track record. I'm just looking for people who are as curious as I am about this object.
Maybe you could hire him.

Don't be silly BCH, nobody involved with this is "hired" for anything.
Shees! :BangHead:

Upvote 0

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
I would say that if you have Johnnyi, Crusader, and SWR UNITED and questioning something, you had better listen ;D
vastik said:
SS,
Yes, it seems that there are many uncalled for comments on this thread. It's unfortunate.

It seems that Johnnyi, Crusader, and SWR have some kind of bone to pick with us two in particular. Why? Who knows? :dontknow:

We should all try to be more respectful of one another. Unfortunately, when I am shown disrespect, I tend to throw it right back.

But for the love of Pete people....can't we all just get along? :violent1:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
johnnyi said:
"I think johnnyi was just steering in direction of wine bottle/jam jar based observation this appear to be a one sided object and not a coin/token."

Thanks Spike, and yes, that was my intention, and as well, that it was adhered to something. "A jar of Trapest preserves" was an attempt at humor which obviously doesn't translate well over the internet. Sorry about that. I'll refrain from attempts at humor in the future:D

I apologise to you Silver Surfer for suggesting you believed vastiks' observations and conclusions were sound. I based that assumption on your constant defense of his improbable conclusions (including coin/token), coupled with your "I believe you" posts directed towards him. I'm glad I was wrong.

The little bit I can add to the discussion is that my wife is in Munich now. I emailed her the post last night; and this morning's reply has been that so far the few Germans she's spoken to (oldest being 84 yrs.) have all said this has nothing to do with Templars or secret societies, but is an object "of the assigned catholic priest who's responsibility it was to re-energize his assigned communities/churches to be better believer.
The "ihs" is in Latin which means Jesus savior of men." They've all seen such objects on souveneers handed out to the congregation. (she neglected to mention what kind of souveneers, but I will ask in the next email)

We still haven't i.d.'d it exactly, but aside from the above which we can take or leave, we've proved it is not older than at least 1924; it is modern German language; and it was most certainly adhered to something else. It will be interesting to see if the original "production" concerning the object is edited to reflect these changes of fact. :D

Hey Johhnyi,
That's interesting! I'm glad to hear that your wife has been investigating in that part of the world.
The curiosity here is that I've never known the RC Church to use the all seeing eye. I could be wrong, but I always thought they condemmed the use of Gnostisism, and it's symbolism.
Has she shown the photo around to her German pals?

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I guess I will have to search for the dagger ID. Im sorry I missed it."

Bigcy, I wasn't going to respond to the dagger post because I didn't want to weigh this post down unecessarily with unrelated stuff. It's a hilt I found in a river many years ago. Several i.d.'s have come very close, but provenance regarding two possibilities (two different time periods) has been determined by government markings on these hilts which my object does not have. An object very similar was brought up with out markings, but it has proved to have been manufactured after my object was found. That's it in a nutshell.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:

Who's Silver Surfer...I haven't seen a post from him on here :icon_scratch:

Silver Searcher. ::)

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
vastik said:
I am new to this post and I do not know anybody's track record.
Thats why Im telling you. The hiring part was a bad joke.
That's strike three, fair enough game on.
That sounds like a threat. All I asked of from you was the correct dagger ID that you made because I honestly missed it. If you made a great ID, then I am so glad for you SS and I will be the first to congratulate you. Like I said, I missed it. I know you are a great metal detectorist because I have seen your finds in the banner, but if you are making great IDs, it would be simple enough just to post the IDs you made and prove me wrong.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
vastik said:
I am new to this post and I do not know anybody's track record.
Thats why Im telling you. The hiring part was a bad joke.
That's strike three, fair enough game on.
That sounds like a threat. All I asked of from you was the correct dagger ID that you made because I missed it. If you made a great ID, then I am so glad for you SS and I will be the first to congratulate you. Like I said, I missed it. I know you are a great metal detectorist because I have seen your finds in the banner, but if you are making great IDs, it would be simple enough just to post the IDs you made and prove me wrong.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,275654.0.html for one.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Has she shown the photo around to her German pals"

Yes vastik, it is the photo that she is showing around.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
OK great, you are proving me wrong. Congrats. I missed it.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,271103.0.html need I go on, I also was thanked personely by Timekiller for helping with the Great Token he found...and I made no threat.

SS
OK great SS Im glad you have found a niche here in the buckles perhaps and are making some IDs that I missed. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats. I am happy for you.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
OK great, you are proving me wrong. Congrats. I missed it.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,271103.0.html need I go on, I also was thanked personely by Timekiller for helping with the Great Token he found...and I made no threat.

SS
OK great SS Im glad you have found a niche here and are making some IDs that I missed. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats.
Just to correct you one more time...it's fair to say that Johnnyi would ID more, as the majority of posts are American finds, I have only taken an interest in this thread for the last few months or so. But now I will vacate it and leave to the much wiser, like yourself.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Searcher said:
Just to correct you one more time...it's fair to say that Johnnyi would ID more, as the majority of posts are American finds, I have only taken an interest in this thread for the last few months or so. But now I will vacate it and leave to the much wiser, like yourself.
Im sure thats the reason johnny makes the IDs. :wink: Thank you SS for the kind comment to me. But its not necessary to leave on my account as I will be out of town again. Besides vastik likes your line of thinking.

I have to go. Im only cluttering up this thread and for that I apologize to vastik.

For what its worth, I know what you mean about American finds. I cannot ID most of the European finds and I stay out of them.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I could be wrong, but I always thought they condemmed the use of Gnostisism, and it's symbolism.'

Vastik, I don't know yet whether you are wrong or right (or for that matter, whether the people in Germany who were asked so far about this, paid close attention to that element of the design) Thus my comment earlier, "you can take or leave".

I don't know what defintion you are using for your research, but the "all seeing eye" is referrd to in the Catholic Church as "The eye of God", and as these symbols mean different things to different groups, and "eye of God" might be a better name with which to google or use the library resources, etc. . I haven't had time to look very far yet, but I believe it appears on a Catholic Church in Poland now; and it prominently on the alter of the Mission of San Miguel in California (Franciscan) which is under restoration.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
One thing I wanted to ask was if anybody is familiar with this Tin, Copper and Indium alloy? The tests reveal that it is not 100% Tin and it may be a more modern alloy than pewter. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"One thing I wanted to ask was if anybody is familiar with this Tin, Copper and Indium alloy? The tests reveal that it is not 100% Tin and it may be a more modern alloy than pewter."

Cy, I know you've alredy been researching the alloys, so you know that Indium was also used on shiny metal coatings and also to reduce the melting point of an alloy. As apparently this object was scanned to achieve the results, it seems certain that the indium was used in the alloy itself rather then a coating, as it appears on both the front and the back. Anyway, you know already, this is not pewter as there is no silver, and it is not "tin", as it is an alloy of tin and copper and Indium. Indium wasn't even around before 1924, so it's certain too that this is modern low melting point easily cast alloy.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
I would say that if you have Johnnyi, Crusader, and SWR UNITED and questioning something, you had better listen ;D
vastik said:
SS,
Yes, it seems that there are many uncalled for comments on this thread. It's unfortunate.

It seems that Johnnyi, Crusader, and SWR have some kind of bone to pick with us two in particular. Why? Who knows? :dontknow:

We should all try to be more respectful of one another. Unfortunately, when I am shown disrespect, I tend to throw it right back.

But for the love of Pete people....can't we all just get along? :violent1:
:wink: thanks scratcher, you know where its at. I'm always here to help & yes I like a joke :laughing7:

Trust me I never pick a bone unless very upset, & rarely then as well. I have no need to add to this because its already been covered.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread