Mysterious Tin Coin - part of Templar legacy?

vastik

Sep 29, 2009

Attachments

• Tomsmasonilluminatocoin1.jpg
    Tomsmasonilluminatocoin1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Tomsmasonilluminatocoin2.jpg
    Tomsmasonilluminatocoin2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,751

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Don't forget that the elements mentioned are also used to make molds. The "residue" could be from a mold."

Not sure who told you this vastik (the person who told you this was 16th century maybe?) but it highly unlikely this came out of a mold that used jaidite in its formula, and far far more likely, or considering how modern this item is (a fact already proved to you) , it is almost certain that if a mold, it was made of a metal, perhaps brass or even steel. there would be no "area of residue" from such a mold.

Upvote 0

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
vastik said:
OOOOh, me bad >:D

Sorry Johhnyi, I have to laugh. Don't forget that the elements mentioned are also used to make molds. The "residue" could be from a mold. In person it looks flat, like an original part of the coin. If the "coin" was produced in a mold, then the "residue" would likely be melted onto it.
And the whole jam idea, well, it deserves a laugh. :laughing7:
In a Mold now you say? as in a cast coin? so you now think this item was cast in the 16th century? of tin? i think i am going to go eat some jam now!

Chuck.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I havent caught up yet vastik, as I have been out of town but are you purposely avoiding posting that side view I requested? We can only work with what you give us.

I apologize for those that are laughing and joking. You seem like a nice person, vastik, but you are bringing this on yourself with your evasive and sometimes uneducated responses. You will look at the top of this page and see many authentic treasure pics. Why would everyone decide that yours is not worthy? Do you think its a conspiracy against you?

BTW Thanks for posting the size. Its nice to know. And yes I did ask. With nothing in the pic for size comparison, I hadnt realized it was this small. 28mm=1.1 inches.

The weight stated does not seem to match the picture. Because pics can be deceiving, I would greatly appreciate that side view. I watched the video and didnt see it. I dont understand why the owner would not find this important to take pictures from all angles.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
vastik said:
Okay everyone, these stats are copied and pasted off the actual metallurgy reports.

Let me know your thoughts. :icon_scratch:

Area 1 Face of coin
Spectrum processing :
No peaks omitted

Processing option : All elements analyzed (Normalised)
Number of iterations = 1

Standard :
Cu Cu 1-Jun-1999 12:00 AM
In InAs 1-Jun-1999 12:00 AM
Sn Sn 1-Jun-1999 12:00 AM
Thanks. The more information you can give us, the better chance of the proper ID. I dont know if its been talked about, but is this Tin, Copper, and Indium? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indium

Upvote 0

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
I see where you are going BCH. Indium wasn't used much until after WWII. Out of curiosity vastic, how did you come up with the 'coin' weighing 8grams? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
scratcher said:
I see where you are going BCH. Indium wasn't used much until after WWII. Out of curiosity vastic, how did you come up with the 'coin' weighing 8grams? Thanks in advance.

I have been told by a friend that it may be from WWII era, so that makes sense Scratcher. This friend tends to think it's related to the Nazi's because of the symbolism. The owner of the coin told me it weighed approximately 8 grams. When he first got the coin we thought it was silver by the weight.

Yet another friend, who is a 35-year veteran Mason, thought it might be related to the Templars and perhaps it came off of a Templar sword, or something similar. He is sending the photos to the Grand Poobah of the Canadian Masons.

BCH:
I have asked the owner to take pictures of the side view, and he said he would. I don't know when he will get a chance to, but when I get them I will post them.

While I admit that I am having quite a laugh with the jokers on this forum (I know, I'm bad :angel12:), I really would like to find another similar item so I can identify it's possible origins.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Ha ha! Yes vastik, you have silver searcher convinced this is real. We all know that. If you want us to help you, part of that is acknowledgng that there is residue, and explaining what use it might have had.

You made a statement vastik, "I've been looking this piece over and there is definitely no glue residue on it." You continued making the same statement over and over.
Now we suddenly learn that the very University which you proclaimed was the last word, has told us about the "Area of residue on back" which they clearly saw, an area which you denied even existed, despite being privy to the report days ago!

I don't expect you to explain that, as your modus operandi so far has been to weave and bob, laugh gayly, be slow in revealing information unless pressed for it (such as the size) , and of course accuse the entire forum on occasion of "not having lives" when they do make attempts to research your object with results that don't match your theories.

If I stumble upon the item your little relic belonged to I will be sure to post it for you, as I'm sure other members who've already been wise enough to leave would do also, whether it be the Sword of Damacles or the insert to a jar of Trapest preserves.
Johnnyi...you know nothing, since when have I said this was real :icon_scratch: I leave the pre- judging to Sherlock Holmes types like you who can dejuice things from mearly looking at pictures.

You are quite within your rights to come to your conclusions...but don't come to mine.

By the way Your Dagger Handle was correctly ID by myself and PBK...hard for you to except I know, because somebody from the UK got it right :D just Green Check it like it should have been weeks ago ::)

One more thing.. Silver Searcher, with capitals if you please ::) I think I get your user name corect ::) ::) ::) ::)

SS :D

Upvote 0

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
vastik said:
scratcher said:

I have been told by a friend that it may be from WWII era, so that makes sense Scratcher. This friend tends to think it's related to the Nazi's because of the symbolism. The owner of the coin told me it weighed approximately 8 grams. When he first got the coin we thought it was silver by the weight.

Yet another friend, who is a 35-year veteran Mason, thought it might be related to the Templars and perhaps it came off of a Templar sword, or something similar. He is sending the photos to the Grand Poobah of the Canadian Masons.

BCH:
I have asked the owner to take pictures of the side view, and he said he would. I don't know when he will get a chance to, but when I get them I will post them.

While I admit that I am having quite a laugh with the jokers on this forum (I know, I'm bad :angel12:), I really would like to find another similar item so I can identify it's possible origins.

Thanks for your help.

Do you remember it being quite thick, much thicker than an average coin of this size? Info like this will help lead us in the right direction. If it was truly as thick as what I calculated then it probably wasn't on a bottle. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
Ya! You said it Silver Searcher! And for that matter Johnnyi and the rest of the doubting crew....when have I said that this item was real? I, too, am merely stating my observations.
I saw the coin, I touched it, I stated my opinion. I have tried to provide as many facts about it as I could get my hands on so that we can all have some fun with this. As a matter of fact, even the website doesn't say that it's real. It is all just a mystery that we are all trying to solve. The website went up in hopes that someone who knows the truth will see it and be able to identify it.

At this point in time folks, the identity of this piece is still not known.

I am no expert on coins, nor even a novice in this stuff, so yes, my observations may come across as uneducated in this field at times. I am a medical person, that is my area of expertise.

If you have proven credentials as an expert in this field, then I would take your conclusions more seriously. But unless this is the case, don't expect me to believe that this item was stuck to a jar of jam or a wine bottle. I do not believe the symbology on the coin is relative to that of a monastery that makes wines and preserves.

Scratcher: I don't remember exactly how thick it is. I have asked the owner for side view photos, but later on today, I will ask him to try the measure the thickness.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Searcher said:
By the way Your Dagger Handle was correctly ID by myself and PBK...hard for you to except I know, because somebody from the UK got it right :D just Green Check it like it should have been weeks ago ::)
SS, with all due respect, I cant recall you ever making a correct ID here at TN but I recall many by johhnny. Can you post this dagger handle? I must have missed it.

I agree pictures can be deceiving but its not possible to hold it in our hands. Good clear pictures from different angles will have to suffice.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
IronSpike said:
I think johnnyi was just steering in direction of wine bottle/jam jar based observation this appear to be a one sided object and not a coin/token.

Here's another idea: Medallion for a book :dontknow:

http://shop.ce-bookcovers.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=2
Yes I posted the book, wine bottle and gift box ideas a while back (reply # 93).. :) I agree its most likely related to one of the three, ...or to grapes. Im waiting for the thickness and proper weight. Im leaning toward the Mission Grapes idea that someone posted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
IronSpike said:
I think johnnyi was just steering in direction of wine bottle/jam jar based observation this appear to be a one sided object and not a coin/token.

Here's another idea: Medallion for a book :dontknow:

http://shop.ce-bookcovers.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=2

IronSpike,

That is a very interesting looking book and medallion on it. Do you know what it represents? Where did you find the photo?

Thanks for posting.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS, with all due respect, I cant recall you ever making a correct ID here at TN but I recall many by johhnny. Can you post this dagger handle? I must have missed it.
Then you are very narrow minded, and obviously Blind :( and your comment uncalled for.

SS

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
Then you are very narrow minded, and obviously Blind :( and your comment uncalled for.

SS
It was probably uncalled for but I cant delete it now. Opposing views are always welcome. I was hoping you would show me the dagger link because I honestly missed it.

I just want you to realize that johhnyi has a good track record here of great IDs, in the short time he has been here, and that needs to be taken into consideration. Vastik may not know this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
SS,
Yes, it seems that there are many uncalled for comments on this thread. It's unfortunate.

It seems that Johnnyi, Crusader, and SWR have some kind of bone to pick with us two in particular. Why? Who knows? :dontknow:

We should all try to be more respectful of one another. Unfortunately, when I am shown disrespect, I tend to throw it right back.

But for the love of Pete people....can't we all just get along? :violent1:

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
It was probably uncalled for but I cant delete it now. Opposing views are always welcome. I was hoping you would show me the dagger link because I honestly missed it.

I just want you to realize that johhnyi has a good track record here of great IDs, in the short time he has been here, and that needs to be taken into consideration.
Don't worry BCY, I won't be bothering trying to help in this thread anymore. Obviously the hours I spend, and links posted are a waste of time and effort, when you just get comments like that.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I guess I will have to search for the dagger ID. Im sorry I missed it. Your time and effort is appreciated SS but it seems to me that you criticize a lot about trying to ID from a picture. We cant change that because this is an online identification forum. Maybe we should just quit IDing here all together because we cant hold the unknown objects in our hands.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vastik

Sep 29, 2009
Now wait a minute SS, you are helping ME...not the ones who don't appreciate your observations. I have never said anything but good about you. :notworthy:

I am new to this post and I do not know anybody's track record. I'm just looking for people who are as curious as I am about this object.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions