✅ SOLVED Native American Indian Stone Tool Artifacts

theory_z

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of artifacts, both found in Franklin county Ohio. The one on the left fits my hand any way I can hold it, and was obviously manufactured. The one on the right could be a fossilized bone for what I know, but it was used as a hammer by someone at some point judging by the worn point (not very visible in either pic here).

What can anybody tell me about either of these? Who made them, when, and for what purpose? I have another handaxe-type tool (buried amongst my stuff) that has the same 'thumb-hold' ridge as the left side one, except the body is narrower and sharpened to a blade.

Any insight or info is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 15,985
  • IMG_6862.JPG
    IMG_6862.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 7,468

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the right looks interesting! If you scroll down the "Forum" page there is a page for Indian artifacts with very knowledgeable members on it when it comes to this stuff, I would post this in there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

theory_z

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Hutsite. The one on the left is more interesting to me since it's a great stone material, but the one on the right looks like it could just be old.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the right looks more worn too me and I have seen (not a expert in native american stuff) indian axes that closely resemble the one on the right! Ask in Native American forum on here! I would like to know myself. Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

theory_z

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically, they are made of two completely different materials. The left one is more metallic, and the right one is like calcite or silicate. They are really a lot different that way.

The left one is very modern with the work on it compared to the right one (just my sense). Either one is a good tool, and you 'get it' once you hold one of these lol. There's basically no wrong way to hold the left one, which I greatly appreciate with this kind of tech. Thanks for pointing me the right way

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but they look like natural rocks to me. Post in the North American Artifacts section with pictures from different angles and you should get a good answer.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry both just natural rocks shaped by mother nature....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
I have to agree with Treasure_Hunter on these until it's proven otherwise . Natural rocks can be form very much looking like a tool like the one on the right and the one on the left is the same as the one on the right because they appear to be mother nature playing tricks with your eyes ( and hand ) . Woodstock
Sorry both just natural rocks shaped by mother nature....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

Svonk

Nov 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Treasure_Hunter on these until it's proven otherwise . Natural rocks can be form very much looking like a tool like the one on the right and the one on the left is the same as the one on the right because they appear to be mother nature playing tricks with your eyes ( and hand ) . Woodstock

I have found both of these same items on my property. If you look closely at your photos you can see that some ancient person has also carved either prehistoric or mythical objects on the items. The first is a hammer tool that also has a carved swimming figure. A dinosaur and a snake on the back. The second is an Effigy stone (that could also be a type of hammer?) I can see the owl on one side and a seahorse and fish on the other. If you pick it up and turn it all around it will have carvings on each side turn them upside down and the pictures will also turn to another picture. It is really quit remarkable how they could produce such extremely difficult art that has a 3-D effect and can be several images. I live in the Unita Basin and these items are quit common, even in my yard. Good luck!

Upvote 0

NEPA History

Apr 12, 2018
Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with the others on this thread that say these are not artifacts, they are natural weather worn stone that happen to resemble something. You have to understand how siltstone or sandstone would have been worked by ancient man...it wasn't done like this. Also, I've seen sandstone axes before, but most tools made by native Americans are going to be made from Flint or chert. Effigy carvings are extremely rare and are even more rare carved out of sandstone. Usually it's out of some soft rock that's easy to shape, such as slate or steatite (soapstone). They're interesting conversation pieces, but definitely not Native American artifacts. No disrespect intended, just offering an opinion based on over twenty years of collecting, archaeological work, and research. Good luck out there..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread