Never Too Late

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mid June my Dr told me my A1C had jumped from 6 to 7.1 since the previous blood work and that I was now diabetic. Dr told me I needed to cut my carbs and increase my excercise. I gave up sugar 10 years ago.

About 10 days later Dr Office called asking how I was doing on my carbs, I told them I had cut my carbs down to about 125 grams a day, they told me I needed to cut them further.

I have cut my carbs to less than 60 grams a day, most times less than 50 grams a day, basically on the keto diet.

I decided I didn't want doctors to start dissecting me because I was too lazy to do something about it.

I started going to my gym 6.5 days a week on average, 3 miles a day on treadmill and 30-45 mins weight training. July 26 days in gym, August 30 days, September 27 and so far this month been 15 days.

It has been 4 months now, my A1C has now dropped from 7.1 to 5.7, I have lost 30 pounds so far, dropped 4 pant sizes and in the best shape I have been in the last 30 years, not bad for an old fart. 😜

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it sucks not being able to eat what you want when you want, do what you want when you want, but we are designed that way...
So true, but would suck even more to have then start cutting off pieces of me.🥴

Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In mid June my Dr told me my A1C had jumped from 6 to 7.1 since the previous blood work and that I was now diabetic. Dr told me I needed to cut my carbs and increase my excercise. I gave up sugar 10 years ago.

About 10 days later Dr Office called asking how I was doing on my carbs, I told them I had cut my carbs down to about 125 grams a day, they told me I needed to cut them further.

I have cut my carbs to less than 60 grams a day, most times less than 50 grams a day, basically on the keto diet.

I decided I didn't want doctors to start dissecting me because I was too lazy to do something about it.

I started going to my gym 6.5 days a week on average, 3 miles a day on treadmill and 30-45 mins weight training. July 26 days in gym, August 30 days, September 27 and so far this month been 15 days.

It has been 4 months now, my A1C has now dropped from 7.1 to 5.7, I have lost 30 pounds so far, dropped 4 pant sizes and in the best shape I have been in the last 30 years, not bad for an old fart. 😜
Glad you're back in the game! Now those 25 year old babes at the pool will be checking you out. I need to do something before it's too late. Seriously, glad you're healthier than before. Keep it up!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you're back in the game! Now those 25 year old babes at the pool will be checking you out. I need to do something before it's too late.

What gym do you use?
Anyone have experience with planet fitness?
I was member of planet fitness for 5 years they werent bad, then a new gym opened up 2 miles from my house called EOS, a much better gym so I joined. They have pool, hot tub, steam room, movie room with 25 ft screen with lots of aerobic machines, lot of treadmills with tv screens, lots of free weights and weight machines, eve a full basketball court. I was one of the first to sign up, cost me $16 a month and I can bring guests.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's been at least 20 years or more, but one doctor I was going to, told me I was diabetic and to cut my food intake in 1/2. Had to come in every couple of months for blood work. Then less than a year he told me my cholesterol was high and once again cut my food intake in 1/2. Needless to say i lost 40 lbs (I was only 150lbs before)I had a hard time working as I was week and dizzy. I finally started going to the VA and was asked "Who said you were diabetic"

I think I was just a source of income for the doctor.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's been at least 20 years or more, but one doctor I was going to, told me I was diabetic and to cut my food intake in 1/2. Had to come in every couple of months for blood work. Then less than a year he told me my cholesterol was high and once again cut my food intake in 1/2. Needless to say i lost 40 lbs (I was only 150lbs before)I had a hard time working as I was week and dizzy. I finally started going to the VA and was asked "Who said you were diabetic"

I think I was just a source of income for the doctor.
Everyone should test their blood sugar, I now test mine couple times a day, testing blood sugar daily and A1C quarterly will tell if you are diabetic.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doctors love to scare you into eating right. The last time they took blood from me they stated that I'm right on the border of being pre-diabetic. My reply to that was, "So right now I'm in the normal range?" They didn't like that logic! Lol!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doctors love to scare you into eating right. The last time they took blood from me they stated that I'm right on the border of being pre-diabetic. My reply to that was, "So right now I'm in the normal range?" They didn't like that logic! Lol!
I was told I was pre-diabetic 15 years ago, gave up sugar over 10 years ago.

My concern is being dissected slowly, if doctors start cutting parts off of me it want be because I was too lazy or stubborn to do something about it.

My brother-in-law was in hospital with pneumonia, he got stubborn after about 3 days and demanded they release him, they told him to go home and stay in bed, but he wouldn't listen and instead went home and mowed and weedwacked his yard, 24 hours later he died.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy for you TH. Since I have NDN heritage, chance of diabetes is an added plus. It killed my grandpa. I have a lot of NA friends and relatives who died from it, mostly cause they did not listen to the doctor. You're right about that cutting off parts of you. I told RedBone, every time I see you, there's less and less of you. More amputations, cause he didn't control his diet. He died. Youngblood wouldn't listen to the doctor and wouldn't quit drinking, and one morning his wife woke up and he was dead next to her. That boy wasn't even 40 years old. Diabetes isn't something to fool around with, and on that one I would say listen to the doctor.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy for you TH. Since I have NDN heritage, chance of diabetes is an added plus. It killed my grandpa. I have a lot of NA friends and relatives who died from it, mostly cause they did not listen to the doctor. You're right about that cutting off parts of you. I told RedBone, every time I see you, there's less and less of you. More amputations, cause he didn't control his diet. He died. Youngblood wouldn't listen to the doctor and wouldn't quit drinking, and one morning his wife woke up and he was dead next to her. That boy wasn't even 40 years old. Diabetes isn't something to fool around with, and on that one I would say listen to the doctor.
I am..... I'm at the gym 6.5 days a week on average, 22 miles on treadmill last week, 6 to 7 hours strength training and still on low carb diet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions