Never Too Late

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
In mid June my Dr told me my A1C had jumped from 6 to 7.1 since the previous blood work and that I was now diabetic. Dr told me I needed to cut my carbs and increase my excercise. I gave up sugar 10 years ago.

About 10 days later Dr Office called asking how I was doing on my carbs, I told them I had cut my carbs down to about 125 grams a day, they told me I needed to cut them further.

I have cut my carbs to less than 60 grams a day, most times less than 50 grams a day, basically on the keto diet.

I decided I didn't want doctors to start dissecting me because I was too lazy to do something about it.

I started going to my gym 6.5 days a week on average, 3 miles a day on treadmill and 30-45 mins weight training. July 26 days in gym, August 30 days, September 27 and so far this month been 15 days.

It has been 4 months now, my A1C has now dropped from 7.1 to 5.7, I have lost 30 pounds so far, dropped 4 pant sizes and in the best shape I have been in the last 30 years, not bad for an old fart. 😜
That's great mate! Well done! 👍👍
I was about to say try charcoal tablets for the farting but decided it was too bad a joke.
Doh, I just did!
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, I'm still going to the gym 6-7 days a week, walking 3 to 3.5 miles a day on treadmill and 40-45 mins strength training. Lost 38 pounds to date, not really trying to lose any either.

I missed 2 days at the gym in December, and 3 days in November.

I'm on my 7th month of low carbs and excercise, still low carb but now I'm trying to stay under 75 carbs a day.

I'm getting ready to go to gym now, I try to be on the treadmill by 7:30am for my 3.5 mile/1 hour walk. I set treadmill to 3.5 mph, 3 degree incline, turn on Fox News on screen on treadmill and walk....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I need to know how to count Carbs

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... have you noticed some small or major benefits yet ?
My heart rate is lower, both resting and after excersing, and it drops quickly after I stop excersing is one of the things that stand out.

My A1C is down to 5.7, my pant size is down to 34 from 40 and even they are getting a little lose, lost all my love handles and at least 85 percent of fat on my stomach is gone. My arms, chest and shoulders have all put on muscle mass too. Even the loose skin from weight loss is shrinking.

I was 210 when I started, I'm now down to 172. Now none of this means I cant get ran over by an 18 wheeler hauling protein drinks to the gym...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great story T_H.; keep it going.
I once lost 42 pounds in 6 weeks but I don't recommend the diet: Basic Training in Texas in the summer.
Now I'm on another diet with the goal of a 20 pound loss by August 1st--or else I wont be in shape to climb a particular mountain; especially at my age: 82.
Don......

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My heart rate is lower, both resting and after excersing, and it drops quickly after I stop excersing is one of the things that stand out.

My A1C is down to 5.7, my pant size is down to 34 from 40 and even they are getting a little lose, lost all my love handles and at least 85 percent of fat on my stomach is gone. My arms, chest and shoulders have all put on muscle mass too. Even the loose skin from weight loss is shrinking.

I was 210 when I started, I'm now down to 172. Now none of this means I cant get ran over by an 18 wheeler hauling protein drinks to the gym...
That's certainly an achievement TH
They say loosing it isn't the hardest thing to do-it's keeping it off.

I'm the opposite with weight, I have a hard time putting it on the bones.
Not that I scrimp on food-just no junk/restaurant foods.

90/10 eating habits show in the bloodwork
Eat healthy 90% of the time, and the 10% doesn't matter as the body takes care of it.
The other way around the 10% doesn't matter, as it does little to improve the over all benefits in the body.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story T_H.; keep it going.
I once lost 42 pounds in 6 weeks but I don't recommend the diet: Basic Training in Texas in the summer.
Now I'm on another diet with the goal of a 20 pound loss by August 1st--or else I wont be in shape to climb a particular mountain; especially at my age: 82.
Don......
I had the opposite in basic, went in at 125, came out at 155 and you don't get fat in basic training. :laughing7:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone should test their blood sugar, I now test mine couple times a day, testing blood sugar daily and A1C quarterly will tell if you are diabetic.
Its been 15 years since the VA questioned me about being diabetic, so far my AIC levels have been normal. So I do believe the doctor 10 years prior was looking for extra income by having me visit every month.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been 15 years since the VA questioned me about being diabetic, so far my AIC levels have been normal. So I do believe the doctor 10 years prior was looking for extra income by having me visit every month.
Don't know your numbers, but I was pre-diabetic for over 10 years before being declared diabetic, A1C was below 6, but blood sugar count was 110 to 140 when tested, you are suppose to be 99 and below.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
smoking and drinking.... I couldn't wait to grow up so I could join my uncles in the fun.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smoking and drinking.... I couldn't wait to grow up so I could join my uncles in the fun.
I stop tobacco when my step-father died of emphysema at 49, I was only smoking about a year, maybe 1/4 pack a day, smoked about a year. I started in basic training because it meant you got a smoke break. Drinking a different story, I cut my drinking way down when I took up taekwando, in late 80s.

I occasionally have a drink now but we are talking 1 or 2 total a week, usually beer, wine or a scotch.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yep, me too, I just wish it was "healthy for you" like in the old days. Tobacco would be my drug of choice if it wasn't deadly. A smoke and coffee is a great way to start the day. Beats the hell out of oatmeal and tea, which is what I do now.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 180 I don’t need to lose weight
But, to get fitter I joined the planet and started this week
Thanks to T-H ( and the wife’s nagging) I’m going to get in shape

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good for you Treasure Hunter. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a gym. Fortunately I get a ton of activity exercise and at 66 I’m 5’6” and 130 lbs. My blood tests always come out normal range. I am not much of an eater, but I consume plenty of sugar and carbs. My daily caloric intake is low nonetheless and I attribute my relative health to that , activity and genes. Biggest negative for me is being a smoker. I don’t drink alcohol.

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you TH, it sounds like you've made a hell of a comeback!
Can I ask if your on any meds for the diabetes, and your age?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread