What's new

Never Too Late

Today is the first day of my 17th month of a low carb diet and working out at gym 7 days a week, well close to 7 days anyway, I do occasionally miss a day for what ever reason, doctor appointment, car appointment, fishing, on average it is between 25-26 days a month the last year.

Last blood work was good, only 1 red flag, my a1c, it is 6 and 5.4 or less is considered below pre-diabetic, above 6.5 is diabetic. It was 7.2 at the start 17 months ago. Still down over 40 lbs too, but have put on muscle mass or weight would be less.
Very Proud of you SIR :)
 
December 10 will mark 18 months, start working on my 18th month in 1 week. (NOV 10)

Still down 50 lbs, still trying to go to gym 7 days a week, in October I made it to the gym 27 days.

Loss 40 pounds of FAT.....:tongue3: and have put on muscle mass on chest shoulders and arms as well as muscle definition...
 
Last edited:
Treasure_Hunter thanks for the posting :) it makes us all that are diabetic think it can also happen to us., NO ONE can take better care of our body system then OUR selves 111 thank you :)
 
Been 8 months since my last update.

I am now on my 25th month of 7 days a week at gym, last month was 26 days, missed 4 days.

I am down 50 pounds from original start weight on 6/1/22. still on low carb diet, 100 carbs a day and my A1C is 6.0.

My routine now is gym at 7am, 1.5 miles a day on the treadmill for 30 mins, I was benching 125lbs, 5 sets of 10, but about 6 weeks ago I switched to 105 lbs 4-5 sets of 25 to a set, total 100-125 reps depending on how tired I am that morning.

I do 5 sets of 10 with 115 pounds on the Fly machine, 5 sets of 10 on Dip station with 185 lbs, sitting press 105 lbs 5 sets of 10, leg press, leg curls, and arm curls.. I usually do 4 machines a day, alternating machines every couple days.. 30 mins on treadmill, and hour to 1.5 on weights, but that includes the rest periods too. :laughing7:

I will say it was a lot easier when I was younger, but not bad for an old fart.
 
I will say it was a lot easier when I was younger, but not bad for an old fart.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be doing you as much good! 8-)

Besides, it's all relative anyway. What's heavy for one person is another person's warmup. It's the effort that matters, and it sounds like you're putting out plenty of it. (Sets if 25 on the bench? I'm getting tired just thinking about it!).

And down 45 lbs? That's extremely impressive. Nice work!
 
If it was easy, it wouldn't be doing you as much good! 8-)

Besides, it's all relative anyway. What's heavy for one person is another person's warmup. It's the effort that matters, and it sounds like you're putting out plenty of it. (Sets if 25 on the bench? I'm getting tired just thinking about it!).

And down 45 lbs? That's extremely impressive. Nice work!
FyI, the bench press is on machine, I don't do much free weights any longer other than dumbell curls. Where it use to be 30 secs between sets when I was young is now a couple mins. The last 5 reps of each set are the hardest, and get that quiver in the muscles on the last set.

Hopefully I can keep it up, never thought I would do it for over 2 years and I actually go almost every day. I will miss 3-5 days a month on average for what ever reason usually once a week for what ever reason. Went from 40 to 33/34 on pants.
 
Update.....

I started my 29th month in a row of 7 day a week gym workouts this week, and according to gym records today's gym check-in was #701.

A1C is 6.1, down from 7.2, still down 50 lbs from the start, I was down 60 lbs, but I felt I was losing too much weight when I hit 167so I increased my carb intake from 50 carbs a day to 100 a day 22 months ago, and yes I still miss my carbs.

Pant size is still 33, down from 40.😁
 
Congrats Brother! :occasion14:
 
I just started my 35th month of 7 day a week workouts... I may cut back to 5 days a week after I reach 3 years....

Still down almost 50 lbs from start.
 
Looks and sounds like your doing a great job T.H.... Keep it up buddy. Last Thanksgiving I decided this was my last beer. I went from 188 lbs to 158 changing NOTHING except no beer in less than 3 months.
 
Looks and sounds like your doing a great job T.H.... Keep it up buddy. Last Thanksgiving I decided this was my last beer. I went from 188 lbs to 158 changing NOTHING except no beer in less than 3 months.
So you lost 30 lbs of beer....lol👍
 
So you lost 30 lbs of beer....lol👍
Well I can't really answer that sir.... But 30 lbs. left quickly without a single change in anything else. And it's so far stayed off. So I guess it was all beer because I haven't a better idea...?!
 
New year update, in 2025 I went to the gym a total of 325 days/times.

I'm still down 45 lbs from start, still on my 100 carb a day diet, and my A1C is 6.4.

January 10th I started my 43rd month of 7 day a week workouts and low carbs.

I took break from treadmill due to knee issue and now do 10 miles a day on stationary bike, usually about 65-70 mins, then 20-30 mins on the weights. Not bad for an old fart....
 
Update...Month 45 of......So far in 2026, I have missed working out at the gym only 1 day. Missed the day it got down to 24° F.

Since January I now do 10 miles a day every day on a stationary bike, and weights, it takes me 60-70 minutes to do 10 miles if I keep my mind on the speedometer, have to keep peddled 10 mph at minimum to do it in an hour.

Still down 45 lbs, still on 100 carb a day.
 
Congratulations to everyone gettin with the program. Me and your family hope you stick around for a lot longer. In my case, I have no clue. I still wear the same size clothes I wore in high school, no health issues and figure that one day I will just drop dead at work, so I can tell them I told you so.
 
Update...Month 45 of......So far in 2026, I have missed working out at the gym only 1 day. Missed the day it got down to 24° F.

Since January I now do 10 miles a day every day on a stationary bike, and weights, it takes me 60-70 minutes to do 10 miles if I keep my mind on the speedometer, have to keep peddled 10 mph at minimum to do it in an hour.

Still down 45 lbs, still on 100 carb a day.
Hello Treasure-hunter, you are truly an inspiration that spans many continents.

You know, you get to a certain age in life, and you're written off into the corner and expected to fade away and die. You inspired that raggedly old Crow down under to get off its perch and shed a few feathers.

Being retired, I had no excuses; I have been walking 10km a day. Working out in the gym. boxing and doing yoga. I am losing 2 kilos a week, roughly 4 pounds. Cut down on carbs and eating a healthier diet. I, too, have a younger wife who cracks the whip on me. I have a son and a daughter still in school. I became a parent for the first time at 50. Talk about a later starter? In 2024, doctors gave me 12 months before I would be on palliative care with COPD. I had 33% lung capacity and was on oxygen. Family was already dividing up my estate property and investments. I was resigned as doctors had written me off into oblivion.

I saw your first post, it's never too late. But it's hard to be inspired when doctors and family have written off to sit in the corner and die. I discovered Cordyceps, which helps add oxygen to my blood. But it does not cure damaged avolies in the lungs. It bought me some time. So I used my treasure hunting research skills and read 176 medical journals from various institutions all over the world. In short, I discovered a way to regrow my avoli in my lungs. Oxygen gas exchange has improved. From 33 percent, stage 3 severe pushing stage 4 COPD, where I had to have oxygen, to my current 72 percent lung capacity back to stage 1 mild COPD. The doctors are amazed. They state you cannot improve destroyed lung capacity. Which is only partly true.

But my survival came from multiple lifestyle changes. Better health with diet and exercise as well. My resurrection is seen as miraculous by doctors. Yet with this lease of life, we sometimes take life for granted and give up. So your inspiration is my inspiration now, as today I have been surfing with my two kids as if I were in my thirties. Losing weight and turning flab into muscle. So I am a believer in your words; it's never too late. You just have to have the will, dedication, and discipline to see it through.

So every time my core is burning, or my muscles are burning, all I'm hitting the point of exhaustion, or those evil bathroom scales are torturing me. I stop and think. Treasure-hunter is doing it, so can I.

Crow
 
Update...Month 45 of......So far in 2026, I have missed working out at the gym only 1 day. Missed the day it got down to 24° F.

Since January I now do 10 miles a day every day on a stationary bike, and weights, it takes me 60-70 minutes to do 10 miles if I keep my mind on the speedometer, have to keep peddled 10 mph at minimum to do it in an hour.

Still down 45 lbs, still on 100 carb a day.
You have more will Power than me, congrats!
I do alright with my Aliptical. It sure helps in-between snow shoveling, and help get the kinks out. It's my third through the years, I recommend them, but I'm no Doctor.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260320_070329093.webp
    IMG_20260320_070329093.webp
    814.2 KB · Views: 33
Update...Month 45 of......So far in 2026, I have missed working out at the gym only 1 day. Missed the day it got down to 24° F.

Since January I now do 10 miles a day every day on a stationary bike, and weights, it takes me 60-70 minutes to do 10 miles if I keep my mind on the speedometer, have to keep peddled 10 mph at minimum to do it in an hour.

Still down 45 lbs, still on 100 carb a day.
I do the treadmill at the gym 4 days/week for a half hour and it just seems to take forever. When the weather gets nice I ride my bike at one of the county parks and I go for an hour and it´s so enjoyable. I keep my heart rate at 120, which is fat-burn mode for me. I highly recommend mixing the gym and outdoors if you can. Of course, Florida is hot so...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom