jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting partner went to get his permit for detecting city parks and was told that city had changed the law which states now that metal detecting is allowed but NO using digging tools just probing. If it is true my metal detecting days r over. All hunts r in city parks and I leave no trace of my plugs and usually hunt in early morning hrs. I guess maybe other's r not doing a good job of covering their plugs. I'm bummed out! !!!

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry to hear that! Real bummer. The gopher hole diggers who are not neat and even leave holes unfilled have caused much damage to the hobby. I have a prime Colonial site near me that is county owned. When I asked about MD'ing - they said you can MD but you cannot dig anything out of the ground. Some of the property is leased corn or wheat fields. It has a 250 year history with very wealthy people as owners. That only leaves you private property, school yards and play yards.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
jimzz977, well .... better you than me. Nah just kiddin' ya. That's odd. But hey, seriously now .... I can dig some pretty deep holes with nothing but a screwdriver (aka "probe"), when I put my mind to it! haha. Just don't be in the middle of deep retrievals when any busy-bodies are watching. Doh!

And your post just goes to show something: Whenever the subject of "permits" comes up (for the rare few cities that ever dreamed up such a thing), md'rs eyes wax romantic! Seems that every md'r thinks that "permits" are a great idea. Like as if it conjurs up images of just being able to flash that paper to any griper, and they'll slink away embarassed for daring to have questioned you, eh ? Ie.: an image of just being able to detect nilly-willy anywhere, with an express "allowance" . But as your post shows: anytime there's "permits" anywhere for this, they will invariably be riddled with silly restrictions. Ie.: "yes but you can't dig". Or "not within 20 ft. of a tree", or "on the sandy beach only", or "digger shall not exceed 3" in length", blah blah blah. Or they simply revoke the permit years later, and disallow md'ing altogether.

Why? Because the fact that it's something they have an express "permit" for, merely means that it's perpetually on their radar (in annual meetings to review all their permits and paperwork), as something they need to always think of, scrutinize, etc... And sure enough, one year, someone there is bound to think "gee, do we really want all these yahoos digging in the park?".

Thus no, permits are rarely ever a good thing. Much better that laws are simply silent on the subject (detecting not addressed either way). And therefore, if it's not prohibited, then presto, it's not prohibited. It need not have an express allowance, to begin with.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup as the saying goes, something to the effect of: A government that has the power to grant you permission, also has the power to take it away. The key here is to not let them have the power.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yup as the saying goes, something to the effect of: A government that has the power to grant you permission, also has the power to take it away. The key here is to not let them have the power.

Right. The LESS they think about metal detecting, the better. Out of sight is out of mind. No need to give anyone "pressing issues" to think about.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm diggin until someone physically stops me. What they don't see won't hurt them.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park routinely dig up large parts of itself so makes no sense to make rules now as there is not that many who do detect here. Since I have a list of the Council Members and mayors office Im sure as we get closer to November I will be airing my protest. Im gonna call em up and ask who they are running against, and start the conversation that way. Its back to my other hobbys, the ones that dont have me spending money locally and enjoying the city parks and events. Short of quick surface scans, I dont enter parks anymore. Let the homeless have it. I can say without me and others not cleaning the park or debris, the tot lots and busy area will get awful filthy quick. Those bottle caps and pull tabs add up. So do the hypo's, fish hooks, and other nastys. In the early morning the women would always do the yoga or workouts close to me, as I was a regular. I didnt mind really. Maybe when no one uses the parks or events, or the women start to complain they will get their head out of their butt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it's currently illegal to metal detect or just to cut a plug in a Las Cruces park?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
sorry to hear that! Real bummer. The gopher hole diggers who are not neat and even leave holes unfilled have caused much damage to the hobby. I have a prime Colonial site near me that is county owned. When I asked about MD'ing - they said you can MD but you cannot dig anything out of the ground. Some of the property is leased corn or wheat fields. It has a 250 year history with very wealthy people as owners. That only leaves you private property, school yards and play yards.

Talk to the one who leases the land. Perhaps he will let you look in the spring just before planting time.
I hit a field with farmers permission adjoining Antietam NP. The rangers watched my every move.
I just smiled and waved. They didn't wave back. lol Frank...- five star.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread